NaeturVindur

Cuddlemaster
Retired Staff
Nov 17, 2008
MBTI
iNfj
Enneagram
9w1
I have a habit, and I believe it to be a common INFJ trait. I enjoy watching people and listening to their conversations. I don't typically consider it as me being weird or rude even. I'm simply entertained by observing how people act and feel in various situations. I've don't eaves dropped for the purposes of gaining information about specific people, or stalk certain people. Most of the time, I hardly remember what the people did or what they said, I just remember anything I may have gleaned from human nature from observing them. I've never even tried to do any sort of study with the people I watch, I simply passively observe them.

I've tried explaining this to some of my friends (those who are not ENFJ or INTJ), and I get a rather consistent result. They call me weird, stalkerish, and overall creepy for doing this. I try to explain that I feel that there's a difference between what I do and being creepy. Being creepy would be trying to gain specific knowledge about specific people, and I'm just gaining general knowledge about people in general.

So what do y'all think; is this being creepy, do you do this, how do you avoid appearing creepy to other people (if you at all bother)?

I think it just strikes them as creepy cause they haven't really thought about it. I mean watching people, everyone does that, they just don't openly admit to it.

Nope, most INFJs do it. It's why I want to employ INFJ Private Investigators.

I do that sometimes..

lol, all the time..I enjoy watching people and how they behave..maybe why I want to be a psychologist..people don't ever notice though as I just never engage in the conversation..they just see me as a harmless wondering soul..when in reality I'm checking ever single detail of their personality

I do it. People don't realize how much we know, and so they underestimate us. Which is fine by me.

I love observing. I try not to stalk the people I love. It kinda scares them. I do it anyway.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I also observe people maybe a little bit different than you do too. Most of the times I look at people and just think about the complexity of each individual. Each of us are in our own little world where millions of things are going throught that brains of ours and we can't even imagine how things are being perceived. It fascinates me to come across all kinds of people and I just soothe away and observe them in a compassionate way of how we tend to be all together in this, meaning, that we are all part of this fascinating experince of living in this life.

I know that didn't make any sense at all lol, but there's no way that I can articulate this in a way that makes sense because you have to feel it in order for you to experience what I'm talking about.

Peace.

Last edited:
I am an avid people watcher...creepy or not...I am...:m105:

well, I do it too. not only that, but when I was younger I used to read people's diaries when I had the opportunity o_O (mostly it was my sister's, but I read my best friend's too. now I feel creepy)

People don't realize how much we know, and so they underestimate us

that's so true.

I do...but I have a really mean little look on my face so I usually don't do it much. I used to love people watching, but I don't turn away fast enough when people notice, so I don't do it as much. :p

I used to be pretty obvious about this when I was younger but I'm a lot better at now. It often skews the information collected when they know they're being collected on.

It allows me to build on initial theories that I have on the group or person. Short term this allows you to quickly get to know the person, long term it improves your understanding on everything from personality types to sociology.

But yes people often find it creepy. I often tell my friends I do this to them intensely when I've built enough trust with them for it to not effect the relationship.

I do that.

Yes, I do this. And I've never considered it's creepy. Usually they don't notice that I am watching.

Sometimes I like to watch the action, instead of being in it. If I lived in Harry Potter world, I would like to be a ghost :)

Yes, I do this. And I've never considered it's creepy. Usually they don't notice that I am watching.

Sometimes I like to watch the action, instead of being in it. If I lived in Harry Potter world, I would like to be a ghost :)

Oh em gee! I'd love to be a ghost! Or an angel of sorts to live vicariously through innocuous observation. Which is pretty much how I live already; not as a participant, but as an observer.
:m105:

That's funny, I often wondered how it would be to live as a ghost. I do not think it would be too bad if you had a means of fast transportation. I'd could probably stand living as a ghost for a few thousand lives.

I find myself people watching nearly all the time; especially if I'm at University and in between classes. It's all so very exciting observing the social dynamics of different "groups" of people.

I do this ALLLLLLLL the time. Not just in person either, online as well. I seldom tell anyone about this, for the reasons you described.

I am not gonna like, I am a horribly nosy person.

I listen to as many conversations as possible, but it isn't purely theoretical. If there is a social application, I will exploit the opportunity.

Am I not supposed to listen to someone who's right next to me? Occasionally I'll even interject and go back to what I'm doing.