Introverted Intuition | INFJ Forum

Introverted Intuition

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Here's one of the most clear and helpful descriptions i've found on this topic.

Introverted Intuition - Ni (INFJ, INTJ)

Reactions: Raccoon Love
Awesome. I highlighted the ones that really apply to me!

Ni’s constantly wonder and guess in their head - they do this so often that they often don’t even realize that they are doing it. It more or less becomes a part of them. Ni’s easily get lost in the mind and are thus very introspective, and often pull out ingenious ideas and insights. They view life more globally than any other type, striving to never let themselves forget about the big picture. Ni’s constantly shift their perspectives, and view and understand things from different angles and in different ways.

Under extreme stress Ni’s become paranoid and overly withdrawn. Their inferior function jumps them, and they become overly interested in details and obsessed with physical pleasure. They become slaves to childlike impulses, sometimes ruining themselves with their decisions in the process.

Ni’s confidently trust their intuitions, insights, ideas, and inspirations - often no matter what others say. Their thoughts become part of who they are. They don’t need to rely on others, and they enjoy time to themselves. Their strong independence is a good thing, but they also have a natural suspicion about others and need to learn to trust them (INTJ’s in particular).

Ni’s prefer to think things through as completely as possible and dislike it when others come to quick, simplistic conclusions. Ni’s are known to get frustrated with others. INTJ’s are more likely to show this than INFJs, but nonetheless it is there, and often strongly felt. Ni’s need to remind themselves that they are extremely rare and should be proud that they see things that others don’t. Nonetheless one can certainly understand their grievance with what sometimes seems like the shallow, ignorant ways of the world.

Ni’s continually think about the future, what it may hold, and how what they are currently doing with their life affects it. Ni’s are too often hypersensitive to contingencies, possibilities and implications. To the Ni, anything is possible and could happen. Some Ni’s focus too much on those “coulds” and become worrywarts. Ni’s need to develop their auxiliary function to keep them in touch with the reality of the external world. When Ni’s don’t use their other functions, their unique visions turn to far-fetched crackpot theories, and their confidence turns to downright obstinance.

Another source of frustration for Ni’s is their difficulty articulating their complex views and intuitions. However, when they are able to do this, the result is typically both impressive and impactful.

The one paragraph where I bolded the whole thing really struck me the most. This is so interesting! Thanks for sharing it. :)

That indeed is one of the best decriptions of Ni I have read. Nice find!

The only part that didn't apply 100% is trusting intuition over what others say. I've come a long ways in trusting my Ni (had a rocky relationship with it for years), but I'm not at 100% by any means.

Good find!

Very nice. And very, very apt. Kept finding myself going "ooh. Oooh! That's it!"

Thanks, Restraint! *Bookmarks*

Here's one of the most clear and helpful descriptions i've found on this topic.

Introverted Intuition - Ni (INFJ, INTJ)

Ni’s constantly wonder and guess in their head - they do this so often that they often don’t even realize that they are doing it. It more or less becomes a part of them. Ni’s easily get lost in the mind and are thus very introspective, and often pull out ingenious ideas and insights. They view life more globally than any other type, striving to never let themselves forget about the big picture. Ni’s constantly shift their perspectives, and view and understand things from different angles and in different ways.

Under extreme stress Ni’s become paranoid and overly withdrawn. Their inferior function jumps them, and they become overly interested in details and obsessed with physical pleasure. They become slaves to childlike impulses, sometimes ruining themselves with their decisions in the process.

Ni’s confidently trust their intuitions, insights, ideas, and inspirations - often no matter what others say. Their thoughts become part of who they are. They don’t need to rely on others, and they enjoy time to themselves. Their strong independence is a good thing, but they also have a natural suspicion about others and need to learn to trust them (INTJ’s in particular).

Ni’s prefer to think things through as completely as possible and dislike it when others come to quick, simplistic conclusions. Ni’s are known to get frustrated with others. INTJ’s are more likely to show this than INFJs, but nonetheless it is there, and often strongly felt. Ni’s need to remind themselves that they are extremely rare and should be proud that they see things that others don’t. Nonetheless one can certainly understand their grievance with what sometimes seems like the shallow, ignorant ways of the world.

Ni’s continually think about the future, what it may hold, and how what they are currently doing with their life affects it. Ni’s are too often hypersensitive to contingencies, possibilities and implications. To the Ni, anything is possible and could happen. Some Ni’s focus too much on those “coulds” and become worrywarts. Ni’s need to develop their auxiliary function to keep them in touch with the reality of the external world. When Ni’s don’t use their other functions, their unique visions turn to far-fetched crackpot theories, and their confidence turns to downright obstinance.

Another source of frustration for Ni’s is their difficulty articulating their complex views and intuitions. However, when they are able to do this, the result is typically both impressive and impactful.

http://www.famoustype.com/Ni.htm

The bolded stuff is most definately me.

My ESTP friend has noted that I get very flustered, nervous, and ramble when I think people are not following me. It bugs a lot of people that I habitually stick a "you know what I mean?" after half of the things I say. I only do that because people don't typically catch the message I'm trying to send. I have to make sure they are following me.

Also, the bolded is why I sometimes mistrust science and certain theories. I feel as though there are an infinite number of variables that could act on a situation at any given time, and while science does a fairly thorough job of measuring the ones that are known to be in existance, it obviously cannot measure things beyond human perception. I believe there are such things that are impossible to ever know, simply because of our limited human minds. I sometimes feel as though scientists can be a little bit overconfident in themselves. This is not to say that I do not think science has come a great way in proving many things that we can readily know about our world.

Also, I debated to the death about my family about how obnoxious those extemporaneous problem solving problems are.

My sister said that in college I will be given a problem, have to express a viewpoint on it, and then back it up.

Sure I could sort of fudge my way through it, but that would honestly bother me a great deal. What if I picked an ending point only to work backwards and find out that my conclusions were peripheral? I realize that I will have to do this, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Last edited:
My sister said that in college I will...

Future tense. You're younger than I thought, which means you're quite mature for your age. Or at least you seem to be when you're on the internet. Either way, props to you, midnightmelody! :)

And what did you mean about the problem solving bit? I didn't quite follow you. (Don't worry - I've got no problem admitting when I'm lost!)

Future tense. You're younger than I thought, which means you're quite mature for your age. Or at least you seem to be when you're on the internet. Either way, props to you, midnightmelody! :)

And what did you mean about the problem solving bit? I didn't quite follow you. (Don't worry - I've got no problem admitting when I'm lost!)

I appreciate that. Thank you!

Well, for the grad school entrance exam, my sister was given a "problem" and had 45 minutes to
a) come up with a solution/answer/response
b) come up with a logical explanation for your reponse
c) write it well

As an Ni user, it frustrates me that we are given a somewhat complex problem and asked to solve it in such a short amount of time. I'm not dumb, no, but my answer would not reach the caliber I desire (hint hint intps/entps etc that want to know how we use our judging).

I would want my answer to be thorough and well thought out, as opposed to something semi-processed or half-formed.

Picking out a conclusion and trying to back it up may not always work, as you may not end up what you started with--the problem. I don't know how much more I can break it down. I tried. >_<

It bugs a lot of people that I habitually stick a "you know what I mean?" after half of the things I say. I only do that because people don't typically catch the message I'm trying to send. I have to make sure they are following me.

wow, I do that too... wayyy too often ;)

My version is "know what I'm sayin'?" lol

I would want my answer to be thorough and well thought out, as opposed to something semi-processed or half-formed.

Picking out a conclusion and trying to back it up may not always work, as you may not end up what you started with--the problem. I don't know how much more I can break it down. I tried. >_<

Ah, now I follow ya! Yeah, I can't count how many times I've done that. Start at the end, work back to the beginning, then follow it back to make sure it's good, and ended up somewhere totally different! >_<

Also, the bolded is why I sometimes mistrust science and certain theories. I feel as though there are an infinite number of variables that could act on a situation at any given time, and while science does a fairly thorough job of measuring the ones that are known to be in existance, it obviously cannot measure things beyond human perception. I believe there are such things that are impossible to ever know, simply because of our limited human minds. I sometimes feel as though scientists can be a little bit overconfident in themselves. This is not to say that I do not think science has come a great way in proving many things that we can readily know about our world.

yes but not for bioscience. There is so much that g wrong with cell cultures, bacteria cultures, etc that you need a very broad view on this: how does the organisme work, how does it work under these specific circanstances, why does it not react as it should do. I think you need a lot of Ni and creativity to solve those problems. Ofcourse you can not now everything but scientists know this and they know that they need to make some assumptions to be able to aply anything. For example quantummechanics shows us that everything can be seen as an object as wel as energy. But if you can't say "lets pretent everything is an object" than you can't do anything scientificaly.

Reactions: Stu
:thumb:

I think I'll just bold the whole thing. :mhula:

I've been searching far and wide for a description like this and then you come and give it to me on a silver platter. Thank you Restraint.

Glad you guys find it helpful.