INTJ or INFJ | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

INTJ or INFJ

And here I thought the opportunity to compliment me on my personality was bribe enough...

Now you're getting it! Keep at it, and I'll have to give into that temptation soon enough.

I think INTJ is the most common type at my current workplace and I love working with them. The are all very gentle and bright.

The big difference between me (who is more or less INFJ) and them is that they are MUCH better at dealing with details than I am. If you're into details you might be more INTJ, of you rather want to avoid details and only like to understand the big picture you might be more INFJ.

I think INTJ is the most common type at my current workplace and I love working with them. The are all very gentle and bright.

The big difference between me (who is more or less INFJ) and them is that they are MUCH better at dealing with details than I am. If you're into details you might be more INTJ, of you rather want to avoid details and only like to understand the big picture you might be more INFJ.

I think both INTJ's and INFJ's (It's the Se last I believe/Ni) are either oblivious to details or (when under stress) super focused on them, almost obsessively.

Maybe INFJ's who look like INTJ's or who may be mistaking themselves for INTJ's have dissociated. I'm not referring to "Dissociate personality disorder," either... just saying. Maybe there is some trauma there unresolved and it's causing individuals to objectify (dissociate) their emotions.

Have you ever been talking about an event that occured in your life and it felt like someone else's story? ...or just that, a "story?" ...no emotion involved (experienced, rather) when in fact the event was very emotional? If so, this is dissociation.

I wonder if this objectifying, ie: intellectualization/dissociation can be an explaination for many of the INFJ's who are torn betrween INTJ?

This has happened to me, I have detached from the world. I been alone(Pretty much a loner) since I was 9. I would not talk to anybody, mainly out of fear sicne I was severely bullied..then I became more interested in intellectual pursuits..all of this contributing to my Fe getting lower and lower..to the point of almost nonexistance. I would pay attention to my Fi more. I been feeling a bit more comfortable with myself lately and my Fe is getting more towards it should be(INFJ position) though still rather low which is the reason I sometimes get typed as an INTP Ni)Ti>Ne works for me.

My T and F are both exact O.O I guess I'm both an INFJ and an INTJ

I think both INTJ's and INFJ's (It's the Se last I believe/Ni) are either oblivious to details or (when under stress) super focused on them, almost obsessively.

You're probably right. I was referring to the rather homogenous breed of INTJs at my work and I may be confusing some of them with ISTJs.
Posted via Mobile Device

This has happened to me, I have detached from the world. I been alone(Pretty much a loner) since I was 9. I would not talk to anybody, mainly out of fear sicne I was severely bullied..then I became more interested in intellectual pursuits..all of this contributing to my Fe getting lower and lower..to the point of almost nonexistance. I would pay attention to my Fi more. I been feeling a bit more comfortable with myself lately and my Fe is getting more towards it should be(INFJ position) though still rather low which is the reason I sometimes get typed as an INTP Ni)Ti>Ne works for me.

Good

You're probably right. I was referring to the rather homogenous breed of INTJs at my work and I may be confusing some of them with ISTJs.
Posted via Mobile Device

You might be.

ISTJs are detail oriented, and seem very down to earth and 'normal'.

INTJs are big picture oriented, and have one of the oddest vibes of any type (even us INFJs).

You might be.

ISTJs are detail oriented, and seem very down to earth and 'normal'.

INTJs are big picture oriented, and have one of the oddest vibes of any type (even us INFJs).

Thanks for clarifying.

(Off topic: I'm more and more coming to realize I have chosen the wrong career path.)

Thanks for clarifying.

(Off topic: I'm more and more coming to realize I have chosen the wrong career path.)

If you're working in a place dominated by ISTJs, probably. We have little in common with them. If it is a trade they're flourishing in, we generally don't do so well. But, keep in mind that STJs are close to 33% of the population. They're likely to be anywhere as at least a third of the group. All of the standard 'business' fields are dominated by STJs. The smallest STJ populations are the 'artisan' type fields, such as theatre, music, art, and all of those things that are not required for the functions of life. Problem there is that these fields are dominated by SFPs who are close to 25% of the population. Eventually, you'll have to pick a group and accept that as an INFJ, we really don't fit anywhere, even in places where our unique gifts allow us to excel beyond our peers like psychology, which tends to be dominated by NTs.

If you're working in a place dominated by ISTJs, probably. We have little in common with them. If it is a trade they're flourishing in, we generally don't do so well. But, keep in mind that STJs are close to 33% of the population. They're likely to be anywhere as at least a third of the group. All of the standard 'business' fields are dominated by STJs. The smallest STJ populations are the 'artisan' type fields, such as theatre, music, art, and all of those things that are not required for the functions of life. Problem there is that these fields are dominated by SFPs who are close to 25% of the population. Eventually, you'll have to pick a group and accept that as an INFJ, we really don't fit anywhere, even in places where our unique gifts allow us to excel beyond our peers like psychology, which tends to be dominated by NTs.

The thing is I love to work with them. I'm just not as good at doing what we're doing as them. I can actually come across as a fake thinker in some other situations, but where I currently work they are so damn excellent that I just feel out-talented by all of them.

What we do is we make computer games. I try to slide towards the artistic side of it, and the more I go in that direction the more comfortable I feel.

hi Reon

i have the same story

what about this part? is it easier to choose one over the other?

I am an IN that much is for sure, but I flip flop between T and F and mostly score a J. Your post makes things much clearer, however, not clear. If that makes any sense.

I am strongly drawn to very large and conceptual discourses in American politics. I have studied science most my life and therefore am an atheist. So I use the thinking side to argue against religion, using fact to back up my claims.

Yet, I am also gay, and have worked in the helping fields all my life; working with the underserved, ill, and the elderly. So in this aspect I use my feeling side.

So I really can't claim that I am one or the other. I wish I could define myself. I'm finding I am lying on the fringes yet again. As if being a gay atheist liberal wasn't enough. *8D

Reactions: Stu
I am an IN that much is for sure, but I flip flop between T and F and mostly score a J. Your post makes things much clearer, however, not clear. If that makes any sense.

I am strongly drawn to very large and conceptual discourses in American politics. I have studied science most my life and therefore am an atheist. So I use the thinking side to argue against religion, using fact to back up my claims.

Yet, I am also gay, and have worked in the helping fields all my life; working with the underserved, ill, and the elderly. So in this aspect I use my feeling side.

So I really can't claim that I am one or the other. I wish I could define myself. I'm finding I am lying on the fringes yet again. As if being a gay atheist liberal wasn't enough. *8D

Oh gosh, I saw this topic and forgot I was the individual who made it. The difference between a INXJ and a INXP type is quite huge and, for some reason, I really don't give a INXP vibe from you. Of course, with that being said, you only have one post. Could you explain your reasoning behind the statement: "I have studied science most my life and therefore am an atheist". It is a logically conclusion for some to state that, by studying science, you don't believe in god, but there are a few (relatively well known) scientist who have a faith that believes in a deity. Also, why must you argue against religion? And also, are you use your facts are actually factual? Human objectivity is impossible to obtain; any scientist will tell you that.

Being gay has nothing to do with MBTI type. Also, all INTJs have feelings and a few of them do work in service based careers such as social work, hospital administration, etc.

My basic advice as of right now, based on your one post, is to go to the INTJ forum and just read the topics to see how your thinking style lines up with the other INTJs (or INFJs. The INFJs on INTJ forum tend to be a different vibe than the ones on this site, for the most part)

I was always confused over whether I was a intj or a infj and I took a break from both sites(intj and infj forum) to find my answer.
I don't really understand myself and I have been going through a lot of chances but I still don't understand how I am having so much trouble choosing between the two.

I'd say that INFJ's can manipulate, change and to some degree control the way that other people see them...they can switch their outward personality according to a situation, and don't mind doing that if it helps them to achieve something important....while INTJ's are more of a "what you see is what you get" type.

also INTJ can easily and naturally understand how things work (for example computers, science, machinery etc.) while it's a lot harder for them to understand people.
For INFJ's it's the other way around - they can read most of people like an open book without even trying, but they don't have such natural understanding of things - sure they can understand things too, but they have to try a lot more than INTJ.

Reactions: muir
Yea that sounds about right IrenaShav. Fe/Te showin their mad skillz.

The main problem comes from the test, which I think has way too many false dichotomys , your either an F and purely emotinoal all the time, or a T who is completely logical all the time. I really think this is a waste of space, but I need help for self-improvement, how can I figure out if I'm more of an intj or an intj (or w/e my type may be)

You're making the MBTI beginner's mistake of confusing F and emotions. You can get non-emotional INTJs as well as very emotional INTJs. My INTJ friend at one stage in his life was very emotional a lot of the time, way more so than me.

F (Feeling) has nothing to do with emotionality (the same way Introversion has nothing to do with how shy you are). It's a social/human/values oriented decision-making function. For INFJs, extraverted Feeling is the secondary function. For INTJs, extraverted Thinking is the secondary function -- they are very different. Read the profiles at TypeLogic and make sure you read the explanations of the functions, they are extremely helpful: http://typelogic.com/

I find it very hard to type people on forums or mailing lists. People can masquerade and cloak and say all sorts of stuff they wouldn't normally say. It's much easier if you can observe the person in a behavioural context in day-to-day life.

I'd say that INFJ's can manipulate, change and to some degree control the way that other people see them...they can switch their outward personality according to a situation, and don't mind doing that if it helps them to achieve something important....while INTJ's are more of a "what you see is what you get" type.

Not necessarily... INTJs can be extremely cunning, more so than INFJs. In my view, INTJs are "cleverer" than INFJs. There's a reason so many fictional evil masterminds are INTJs. I agree that INFJs can be chameleons though.

also INTJ can easily and naturally understand how things work (for example computers, science, machinery etc.) while it's a lot harder for them to understand people.
For INFJ's it's the other way around - they can read most of people like an open book without even trying, but they don't have such natural understanding of things - sure they can understand things too, but they have to try a lot more than INTJ.

Agreed, INTJs are system builders, whereas INFJs are humanistic values builders. Maths and physics was always my weak point, though I know some INFJs who are brilliant at these kinds of subjects.

Last edited:

I'd agree in the sense that everyone can manipulate how people see them. INFJs and INTJs both tend to change their outward personality in some sense, as a phrase goes "Go with the best you for the situation". I would presume that INTJs do it less than INFJs though, based on the posts here.

I don't think it's particularly harder for INTJs to understand people just like I don't think it's hard for INFJs to understand science or computers. I think their manner of thinking is just completely different and their methods of dealing with people are different as well. With that being said, it has to be their interest. Also, as INTJs grow, they tend to become more emotional and caring in their own way. Te tends to want standard objective signs of conclusion and combined with Ni, standard and objective slightly changes.

I honestly realistically doubt that INFJs can read most people based on the evidence of this site. Some members proclaim to be able to tell people really well and others state that they can't understand individuals, it all seems to be a bit based on the person. Ni's a pretty amazing thing but being spot on most of the time isn't exactly one of its skills. With that being said, INTJs also have Ni and Fe has to deal more with external judgement than it does with "understanding" people. And stating that INFJs don't have a natural understanding of things seems almost insulting in a way to several of the members on this site who are working or worked to get a high level of distinguishment and a degree.

You're making the MBTI beginner's mistake of confusing F and emotions. You can get non-emotional INTJs as well as very emotional INTJs. My INTJ friend at one stage in his life was very emotional a lot of the time, way more so than me.

To be fair, I did make this thread a year ago and since then I've grown in knowledge.
F (Feeling) has nothing to do with emotionality (the same way Introversion has nothing to do with how shy you are). It's a social/human/values oriented decision-making function. For INFJs, extraverted Feeling is the secondary function. For INTJs, extraverted Thinking is the secondary function -- they are very different. Read the profiles at TypeLogic and make sure you read the explanations of the functions, they are extremely helpful: http://typelogic.com/

I find it very hard to type people on forums or mailing lists. People can masquerade and cloak and say all sorts of stuff they wouldn't normally say. It's much easier if you can observe the person in a behavioural context in day-to-day life.

Not necessarily... INTJs can be extremely cunning, more so than INFJs. In my view, INTJs are "cleverer" than INFJs. There's a reason so many fictional evil masterminds are INTJs. I agree that INFJs can be chameleons though.

Agreed, INTJs are system builders, whereas INFJs are humanistic values builders. Maths and physics was always my weak point, though I know some INFJs who are brilliant at these kinds of subjects.

INTJs are system builders in the sense that they like sticking to external quantities and interacting with things they can actually change (Te and Se) while Ni and Fi tends to assign personal values based on the experience of the individuals life (Ni acting as sort of a barricade to the Ni-dom's mind in the sense that Ni-doms look at biased assumptions and see where the basis or what the true concept is). By those standards, system builder is a very loose description. I'm not exactly sure if I agree with INFJs being humanistic value builders. It's another loose description of the mindset an INFJ has.