INTJ or INFJ

Reon

Midnight's Garden
Nov 1, 2008
MBTI
Questioning?
Enneagram
5w6
I was always confused over whether I was a intj or a infj and I took a break from both sites(intj and infj forum) to find my answer. Months later, I'm still in my rut. I have tested as an intj, intp, istj, and a infj but I tend to take intj and infj more seriously than the other results. I don't really understand myself and I have been going through a lot of chances but I still don't understand how I am having so much trouble choosing between the two.

The main problem comes from the test, which I think has way too many false dichotomys , your either an F and purely emotinoal all the time, or a T who is completely logical all the time. I really think this is a waste of space, but I need help for self-improvement, how can I figure out if I'm more of an intj or an intj (or w/e my type may be)

(probably some grammatical mistakes, i'm on the go, sorry)

I was always confused over whether I was a intj or a infj and I took a break from both sites(intj and infj forum) to find my answer. Months later, I'm still in my rut. I have tested as an intj, intp, istj, and a infj but I tend to take intj and infj more seriously than the other results. I don't really understand myself and I have been going through a lot of chances but I still don't understand how I am having so much trouble choosing between the two.

The main problem comes from the test, which I think has way too many false dichotomys , your either an F and purely emotinoal all the time, or a T who is completely logical all the time. I really think this is a waste of space, but I need help for self-improvement, how can I figure out if I'm more of an intj or an intj (or w/e my type may be)

perhaps you are on the cusp...perhaps you are all of those things...Equally balanced, thats why you cant get a good idea on what you are...

The vid is pretty long so I didn't watch it all but I read what was written and it was a good explanation of the differences between the two. I think I am predominantly INTJ, although I sometimes test as INFJ. However, although MBTI is a good model for understanding personality, it is just that, only a model. No model can perfectly encapsulate someone. (A similar point is made in the link). Also for example in the linked content the author states that the INFJ is first diplomatic then strategic whereas the INTJ is first strategic then diplomatic. However, because everyone is unique, there must be a range of people who are more or less evenly matched between diplomacy and strategy.

I have watched the video, and I can see qualities and traits of both of the individuals in me; alas that did not help much. I don't seem very intjish (judging by my interactions w/ intjs on the intj forum) but according to this forum, I don't seem very infjish either.

hi Reon

i have the same story

what about this part? is it easier to choose one over the other?

temperaments

[SIZE=+1]The Theorist Temperament (aka "Rational," "Green," "NT")
OwlVJ.gif

The Theorists' core needs are for mastery of concepts, knowledge, and competence. Theorists want to understand the operating principles of the universe and to learn or even develop theories for everything. They value expertise, logical consistency, concepts and ideas, and seek progress. They abstractly analyze a situation and consider previously un-thought-of possibilities. Research, analysis, searching for patterns, and developing hypotheses are quite likely to be their natural modus operandi. The Theorists' motto might be Cogito, Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am).
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]The Catalyst Temperament (aka "Idealist," "Blue," "NF"; includes INFJs)
DolphinHome.gif

The Catalysts' core needs are for the meaning and significance that come from having a sense of purpose and working toward some greater good. Catalysts need to have a sense of unique identity. They value unity, self-actualization, and authenticity. Catalysts prefer cooperative interactions with a focus on ethics and morality. Catalysts tend to be gifted at unifying diverse peoples and helping individuals realize their potential. They build bridges between people through empathy and clarification of deeper issues. The Catalysts' motto might be Sui Generis (unique, particular, in a class of its own).
[/SIZE]

Here's another...

NF versus NT

Idealists (NF), as a temperament, are passionately concerned with personal growth and development. Idealists strive to discover who they are and how they can become their best possible self -- always this quest for self-knowledge and self-improvement drives their imagination. And they want to help others make the journey. Idealists are naturally drawn to working with people, and whether in education or counseling, in social services or personnel work, in journalism or the ministry, they are gifted at helping others find their way in life, often inspiring them to grow as individuals and to fulfill their potentials.
Idealists are sure that friendly cooperation is the best way for people to achieve their goals. Conflict and confrontation upset them because they seem to put up angry barriers between people. Idealists dream of creating harmonious, even caring personal relations, and they have a unique talent for helping people get along with each other and work together for the good of all. Such interpersonal harmony might be a romantic ideal, but then Idealists are incurable romantics who prefer to focus on what might be, rather than what is. The real, practical world is only a starting place for Idealists; they believe that life is filled with possibilities waiting to be realized, rich with meanings calling out to be understood. This idea of a mystical or spiritual dimension to life, the "not visible" or the "not yet" that can only be known through intuition or by a leap of faith, is far more important to Idealists than the world of material things.
Highly ethical in their actions, Idealists hold themselves to a strict standard of personal integrity. They must be true to themselves and to others, and they can be quite hard on themselves when they are dishonest, or when they are false or insincere. More often, however, Idealists are the very soul of kindness. Particularly in their personal relationships, Idealists are without question filled with love and good will. They believe in giving of themselves to help others; they cherish a few warm, sensitive friendships; they strive for a special rapport with their children; and in marriage they wish to find a "soulmate," someone with whom they can bond emotionally and spiritually, sharing their deepest feelings and their complex inner worlds.
Idealists are relatively rare, making up no more than 15 to 20 percent of the population. But their ability to inspire people with their enthusiasm and their idealism has given them influence far beyond their numbers.

Idealists at Work
Idealists, as a temperament, are passionately concerned with personal growth and development. They are naturally drawn to working with people and are gifted with helping others find their way in life, often inspiring them to grow as individuals and to fulfill their potential both on, and off, the job.

Your beliefs are the arbiter of your actions, even if you cannot articulate those beliefs specifically. You hold a strong, clear sense of the way the universe works, what's "right" and what's "wrong," and what your purpose is in the overall scheme of things. In your ideal job, you can embody those beliefs in your relationships with other people. Because you likely have a talent for de-escalating situations and can almost always find just the "right words", you often significantly improve the morale of organizations to which you belong.

Rationals (NT)

All Rationals (NTs) share the following core characteristics:

• Rationals tend to be pragmatic, skeptical, self-contained, and focused on problem-solving and systems analysis.
  • Rationals pride themselves on being ingenious, independent, and strong willed.
  • Rationals make reasonable mates, individualizing parents, and strategic leaders.
  • Rationals are even-tempered, they trust logic, yearn for achievement, seek knowledge, prize technology, and dream of understanding how the world works.
Rationals are the problem solving temperament, particularly if the problem has to do with the many complex systems that make up the world around us. Rationals might tackle problems in organic systems such as plants and animals, or in mechanical systems such as railroads and computers, or in social systems such as families and companies and governments. But whatever systems fire their curiosity, Rationals will analyze them to understand how they work, so they can figure out how to make them work better.In working with problems, Rationals try to find solutions that have application in the real world, but they are even more interested in the abstract concepts involved, the fundamental principles or natural laws that underlie the particular case. And they are completely pragmatic about their ways and means of achieving their ends. Rationals don't care about being politically correct. They are interested in the most efficient solutions possible, and will listen to anyone who has something useful to teach them, while disregarding any authority or customary procedure that wastes time and resources.
Rationals have an insatiable hunger to accomplish their goals and will work tirelessly on any project they have set their mind to. They are rigorously logical and fiercely independent in their thinking -- are indeed skeptical of all ideas, even their own -- and they believe they can overcome any obstacle with their will power. Often they are seen as cold and distant, but this is really the absorbed concentration they give to whatever problem they're working on. Whether designing a skyscraper or an experiment, developing a theory or a prototype technology, building an aircraft, a corporation, or a strategic alliance, Rationals value intelligence, in themselves and others, and they pride themselves on the ingenuity they bring to their problem solving.

What you need to do to determine your type is not focus on whether you're F or T but instead find out whether or not you are Fe and Ti (INFJ) or Te and Fi (INTJ). Find out how those specific functions manifest and observe them in yourself, and it should be easy to tell whether you are INFJ or INTJ.

In the end, it doesn't matter too much, you're still you =)

What you need to do to determine your type is not focus on whether you're F or T but instead find out whether or not you are Fe and Ti (INFJ) or Te and Fi (INTJ). Find out how those specific functions manifest and observe them in yourself, and it should be easy to tell whether you are INFJ or INTJ.

This is how I decided my identity crisis the first time, I just assumed I was an infj and had a strong Ti.

addendum: I just took a cognitive test, I was told that I was an intp based on the fact that Ti was my highest score, followed by Fe, Te, Ne, Fi,Si, Ni, and Se. Isn't that a bit odd for me to be either intp, intj, or infj

This is how I decided my identity crisis the first time, I just assumed I was an infj and had a strong Ti.

addendum: I just took a cognitive test, I was told that I was an intp based on the fact that Ti was my highest score, followed by Fe, Te, Ne, Fi,Si, Ni, and Se. Isn't that a bit odd for me to be either intp, intj, or infj

I have the same problem, I score INXX all the time, the test is still being perfected so it can be quite challenging for people to figure out their type, specially if your cognitive functions are borderline. I suggest you keep investigating, talk to people of these to see how they communicate, forums like this help us understand each other better and how are we related/different in our core beliefs. It really is ok to classify yourself as a INXX or whatever you want to. Think about how you mood affects your result.

I don't know about odd. INFJs have relatively strong Ti. It isn't like INTP Ti, but it is still our 3rd function.

Anyway, I don't know that tests can help you at this point. They usually aren't that great anyway. I recommend reading up on the functions if you haven't already and then trying to see which combination's are dominant.

Two more things.

1. If you're young, like 16, it might be very hard to determine what you are. The same goes for if you are old because older people tend to be more balanced.

2. It is also possible that you're just impossible (or extremely difficult) to accurately type. The functions exist in a spectrum, and it is possible to be right in the middle of the spectrum. I have a friend who I have found impossible to type at all. Every single one of her functions is on the edge.

You may have not taken the time to develop your dominant functions at the expense of your inferior functions (one possibility), and another possibility is that you have taken the time to develop your inferior functions at the expense of your dominant functions (a.k.a. "well balanced"). Neither of these are necessarily good or bad things in the same way that being any type doesn't make you a good or bad person. It is simply your reaction to your environment.

Can you differentiate between Ti and Ni? Do you know what your dominant function is?

Introverted iNtuiting:
"Ni’s confidently trust their intuitions, insights, ideas, and inspirations - often no matter what others say. Their thoughts become part of who they are. They don’t need to rely on others, and they enjoy time to themselves. Their strong independence is a good thing, but they also have a natural suspicion about others and need to learn to trust them (INTJ’s in particular)."

"Ni’s prefer to think things through as completely as possible and dislike it when others come to quick, simplistic conclusions. Ni’s are known to get frustrated with others. INTJ’s are more likely to show this than INFJs, but nonetheless it is there, and often strongly felt."

Intj: Introverted Intuition, Extroverted Thinking, Introverted feeling and Extroverted Sensing
Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else’s logic, sequence, or organization. It also helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three.
Infj: Introverted Intuition, Extroverted Feeling, Introverted thinking, Extroverted Sensing
The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them.

Infp: Introverted feeling, Extroverted intuition, Introverted sensing, Extroverted thinking
Extraverted iNtuiting involves noticing hidden meanings and interpreting them, often entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea or interpreting what someone’s behavior really means. It also involves seeing things “as if,” with various possible representations of reality. Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true.

The order of this is from the strongest to the weakest skill. - The second is the one to aide you most. - Hope this aides you in some manner.

Last edited:
Can you differentiate between Ti and Ni? Do you know what your dominant function is?

Ti:
Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work.

Ni:
Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden

I can kind of relate. I've just taken the Myers Briggs personality test and scored an INFJ. My I was only at 1% and my F was at 3%. I think i am an introvert with extroverted features and a thinker with feeling features - if that makes sense. That would make me predominantly INTJ but even then I don't fully relate to the personality type. It's all so confusing.

INTJ's have always struck me as far more impersonal and direct in their dealings with other people than INFJ's, who are more likely to empathize and compromise. I think it's because INFJ's value social harmony a bit more than INTJ's.

I have an uncanny ability to detect people's types. You strike me as an INFJ, not INTJ. "Restraint," for all I am concerned is an INTJ. You have an entirely different "feel" than him.

I vote INFJ. ;)

I have the same problem, I score INXX all the time, the test is still being perfected so it can be quite challenging for people to figure out their type, specially if your cognitive functions are borderline. I suggest you keep investigating, talk to people of these to see how they communicate, forums like this help us understand each other better and how are we related/different in our core beliefs. It really is ok to classify yourself as a INXX or whatever you want to. Think about how you mood affects your result.

Again, using my uncanny abilities... I will say that you are definitely NOT an INTJ. Secondly, I think you might be either an INFJ or INFP. INTP would be my third choice. INTJ is outruled.

:)

I have an uncanny ability to detect people's types. You strike me as an INFJ, not INTJ. "Restraint," for all I am concerned is an INTJ. You have an entirely different "feel" than him.

I vote INFJ. ;)

Restraint is an INTJ? I don't think so. While she's definitely developed her analytical skills, she's Ni>Fe>Ti all the way, methinks.