INFJs Come in a Variety of Shapes and Sizes | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJs Come in a Variety of Shapes and Sizes

wow, this is very well described Von Hase, I'm glad your always here to give us insight on MBTI, you truly are brilliant.

I like the fact that, after a long week of emulating every other type out there in order to get through it, I can still come back here and remind myself of what it means to be INFJ :D

It's quite nice and cozy. We're pretty cool.

I think I have multiple personality disorder, because I can seem like any of those.

I'm very moody like that.

I think it is just because you are developing your functions. When you are focusing on any given function, you're going to lean in that direction cognitively. We can't develop a function we're not using.

I like the fact that, after a long week of emulating every other type out there in order to get through it, I can still come back here and remind myself of what it means to be INFJ :D

It's quite nice and cozy. We're pretty cool.

Yes, we are.

I've also realized that we are also very adaptable, which may be the cause of the 'mental shape shifting' that we sometimes do. It's a function of Ni (that has the ability to achieve a deliberate internal metamorphosis) and Fe (which cares about the expectations of others with respect to social roles). We can convince ourselves to become whoever the people we care for need us to be. This can have an interesting affect on our self identity as we weave in and out of those roles.

the same could be said for all people.

On a complete tangent: what the hell is it with INFJ men and goatees? I even had one at one point, though I ended up removing it because I inherited the inability to grow a decent beard from my mother's side and I inherited extremely early grey facial hair from my father's.

Because goatees are awesome!

I think it is just because you are developing your functions. When you are focusing on any given function, you're going to lean in that direction cognitively. We can't develop a function we're not using.

thats interesting.

This has been my feeling as of late. I've been pushing on Fi and Ti a lot more lately.

Thanks to my ESTJ mother... ughh As well as the classes I've taken in school have made me rely on Ti a lot.

Yes, we are.

I've also realized that we are also very adaptable, which may be the cause of the 'mental shape shifting' that we sometimes do. It's a function of Ni (that has the ability to achieve a deliberate internal metamorphosis) and Fe (which cares about the expectations of others with respect to social roles). We can convince ourselves to become whoever the people we care for need us to be. This can have an interesting affect on our self identity as we weave in and out of those roles.

That would make sense. I know I've felt like a lot of different types over the years especially when under stress.

That raises the question about shadow functions. Do we only go to the STP mode when we are under huge stress. Becasue I've thought about this and I don't go toward STP for a while. And care we take the Shadow functions in different orders?

As of lately I go more NT or NFP before going further down the line to STP

Last edited:
I wish there was something similar to a 'like' option on facebook 'cause I totally like this. :D

And care we take the Shadow functions in different orders? As of lately I go more NT or NFP before going further down the line to STP

According to Beebe, and admittedly my own experience, I go ENFP before I go ISTP. When things aren't working for me, I will start to use a lot more Ne and Fi. In fact, I dare say, all I do when stressed is amp my Ti/Te and Se/Si a little without changing my N > F > T > S preference order much at all.

When I feel like withdrawing into my own little world, I can feel a strong Ni, Fi, and Ti pull. Even my pathetic excuse for Si becomes more effective. It's kinda like this weird INFJ/INTP/ISTP hybrid.

When I start to go extrovert, I can feel my Fe and Se charging up, but also my Ne and Te. It's kinda like this weird ENFJ/ENTP/ENFP hybrid.

It doesn't seem like I'm really changing my preferences at all, just strengthening the capacity of my functions, not the order in which I use them. The only way I really know I'm an INFJ is because this is how my mind seems to be wired when I am unstressed and feeling 'healthy'. ...well, that and all the test results, research, and endless pondering...

Last edited:
My first urge when I started reading through this was: OOH! I can try and catagorize all of us into groups, and make a better definition of this! However, I am not going to (...oh who am I kidding, somewhere down the line I am gonna try, ha).

We are all different. Being INFJ's; thats our common theme, but we all have intrinsic differences between us that makes us all unique. I mean, if we all fit all of the bubble terms for all of the main characteristic for an INFJ, we would be all the same, and that's just boring. It is impossible to group all of us into one true common field.

And yes, I will jump on the "ooh, I love this thread" train as well. :)

My first urge when I started reading through this was: OOH! I can try and catagorize all of us into groups, and make a better definition of this! However, I am not going to (...oh who am I kidding, somewhere down the line I am gonna try, ha).

Can't take it back. How would you categorize us? Make a thread and propose your theory of INFJ categories. This would be interesting.

Good stuff, man. :)

VH, you never cease to amaze me! Kudos and thanks for putting things into words so well!

I even found peace from reading that as a non-INFJ with undeniable economy-sized INFJ chunks!

Or maybe that means I missed the point. :) I haven't stared into space for a few years. Maybe my system should just reboot itself too.

Definitely reboot and go to bed! Both of the posts were intended for the Proper Care of Your INFJ thread instead. :-/ Wow.

Other INFJs have developed their shadow functions, making them seem like INFPs or even ENFPs - warm and fun, kind and open minded.

I think. this fits to me. I also seem like ENFP/ENTP. But will wait for time, what it says. :D

I have done the test several times and often get different results which confuses me a lot, I think its partly me sub-consciously trying to force it, I always end up with I*F*. Either way I've read and know for a fact I'm an INFJ but at the same time I know we're not exactly the same which puts things more in perspective. I think it is somethings the tests can't always be accurate as your mood changes at times. For example I think whilst I have a dominant intuitive side my sensing side isn't that bad either.

This explains so much about why I always test as an INFJ but seem to have so many INFP characteristics...da shadow knows! Thanks for the heads up and explanation. I always read your posts wherever I find them, and I always learn something from them. Thanks for being part of this forum and being so generous with your knowledge