INFJs Come in a Variety of Shapes and Sizes | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

INFJs Come in a Variety of Shapes and Sizes

Some INFJs are textbook examples of the personality type, with a clear preference for Ni over Fe over Ti over Se.

However, no two INFJs are perfectly the same, and many of us have developed preferences and capacities in our cognitive functions that have allowed us to grow outside the standard pattern for our type.

Some INFJs have a strong Fe, making them seem more like an ENFJ - intense and bold, outgoing and charismatic.

Other INFJs have a strong Ti, making them seem more like INTJs or even INTPs - brilliant and amicable, insightful and intellectual.

Other INFJs prefer their introverted functions, making them seem more like ISFJs or INTJs - Deep and introspective, logical and profound.

Other INFJs have developed their shadow functions, making them seem like INFPs or even ENFPs - warm and fun, kind and open minded.

I think this excellent explanation by Von Hase explains why I may seem like an INFP.

I'm still not convinced of my infjness, but this was really insightful.

Very insightful indeed, but at this point in my life the INFP personality seems to fit a little more than INFJ, maybe I would come to develop as an INFJ later on which is what my original testing results showed I was.

Very insightful indeed, but at this point in my life the INFP personality seems to fit a little more than INFJ, maybe I would come to develop as an INFJ later on which is what my original testing results showed I was.

That is highly possible. You're on the verge of many life experiences that may push your J into growth spurts. That doesn't mean you'll lose what you've developed with respect to your INFP side. It just means you'll have more to add to it.

I still wonder if I'm more of an INFP than an INFJ sometimes. The only thing that proves to me that I'm an INFJ is that I have a need to correctly label myself. The two types have a lot in common, and many of us have strong Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe. The cut and dried archetypes aren't perfectly applicable to anyone because everyone is more than a stereotype (and that's probably my INFP side talking, heh), especially with respect to the cognitive functions we develop outside the scope of the standard 'pattern' (my INTJ side there, heh).

Last edited:
Thank you for this. ^^

I am often confused for being an INTJ by people who know me and I do indeed tend to use my more introverted functions. This helps very much to explain why I tend to get that.

Besides, I like hugs too much to be a T.:m158:

I still wonder if I'm more of an INFP than an INFJ sometimes. The only thing that proves to me that I'm an INFJ is that I have a need to correctly label myself.

This makes me think I'm an INFP... I don't think I understand why it matters... but a lot of people who I think are really insightful on here obviously do think it matters, so I think there must be something I'm not getting. I know Ne means extroverted intuition, Se means extroverted sensing, etc, right? I'm not to sure what extroverted intuition is though? Sorry, there are probably a lot of places I could look this up and I'm just typing this as I think of it. If anyone feels like pointing me to some newbie link somewhere, I appreciate it

I'm with myst.
I was certain I am INFJ but now I'm wondering if I should be wondering about it lol

oh and nobody answered my question about zoning out. Do INFPs do it?

hehehe... I'm really going around in circles with that post, huh?

I know Ne means extroverted intuition, Se means extroverted sensing, etc, right? I'm not to sure what extroverted intuition is though?

Intuition is the process of pattern recognition. It allows us to realize from whence something came and where it is going. We know what someone is going to say, what is going to happen, or why it happened because of intuition.

Introverted intuition works somewhat subconsciously to find the one best answer.
- Having something just pop into your head when you weren't thinking about it.
- Just knowing something without being able to explain why.
- Zoning out and coming up with the answer.

Extroverted intuition works somewhat consciously to find all the possibilities.
- Having all the possibilities appear before you.
- Having random ideas and tangents spur other random ideas and tangents.
- A sudden burst of creativity that thinks outside the box.

I'm with myst.
I was certain I am INFJ but now I'm wondering if I should be wondering about it lol

Nope. If you're sure, then you're sure. That's also a "J" trait. It's when INFJs are uncertain that we become obsessive about becoming certain.

oh and nobody answered my question about zoning out. Do INFPs do it?

See above, though I've heard my INFPs tell me that they zone out too, it seems like they get lost in their feelings, while we just get lost in our heads.

Last edited:
Nope. If you're sure, then you're sure. That's also a "J" trait. It's when INFJs are uncertain that we become obsessive about becoming certain.

See above, though I've heard my INFPs tell me that they zone out too, it seems like they get lost in their feelings, while we just get lost in our heads.

These two things help me out a lot. I am calmly certain of my J, despite my strong Ne, although sometimes I got worried that I wasn't really worried :D