INFJ's and Sleep. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ's and Sleep.

I heard that because of our Ni we often feel restless, like we always have to be doing something and that it causes difficulty sleeping. I have experienced this, as it takes me hours for me to finally fall asleep, then when we finally do fall asleep it tends to be long and later involves vivid colorful dreams. Is this that case for anybody here? Do you fall asleep with ease? Are you always thinking and often feel restless? How do you deal with it? Are your dreams vivid and colorful? can you remember them? I'm asking all of this to see if there's some correlation, and I want to know if this description applies to other INFJ's

Yes, my sleep is never completely deep. I dream a lot and every little noise can wake me up. When I am anxious about something I find it hard to asleep.
But - no matter how we can't sleep I found out that I become very nervous and close to shadow type when I don't sleep proper. So . no coffee after 4 and I try to relax. Sleep is important as food. If one don't sleep enough, one is close to "snapping".

I've suffered with chronic insomnia. I am up now, what do you know? It is 2:10 AM here.

Add me to the insomniacs club.

I dont dream a lot but it is in color. I was told that having dreams in color is not typical. I have a very strong Ni. I fall asleep fast and sleep like a rock. That is just me.

Having dreams in color is not typical? Lol wut?

I used to deal with insomnia a ton in High School and College. I've always had trouble getting myself to fall asleep because when I start to relax every little thing sets off some tangent for my mind to go off on. I just relax and let my mind take the reins and I'll be asleep in the next 20 minutes or so, though. When I was dealing with insomnia, even if I did that, though, I'd be up again in about a hour or two. Fortunately for me, my insomnia was just connected to a lack of physical activity. Which should have been obvious when it first showed up after I quit swimming in High School.

As for dreams, I have ridiculously vivid dreams all the time, even when I'm just taking a nap on the couch on a weekend. I also tend to have recurring dreams and lucid dreams as well. I just ascribe that to the fact I'm almost always deep in though as I fall asleep.

I...sleep easily. Really, if I'm sleepy (even a little), I would go to bed and fall asleep. Like a rock. D:

But yes, my imaginations runs wild until that exact moment before falling asleep. Especially if I'm not too sleepy; sometimes I'd spend the rest of the day imagining things and analyzing things before my mind freaked out and yelled "SLEEP." And I forcibly shut my imaginations and calm down and sleep... And usually, if I wake up, I would spend another moment doing the reverse; Imagining on the bed, then waking up feeling fully refreshed and so. Or falling asleep again XD

Outside noises could wake me up pretty easily if I already slept long enough. Music also does that, but for different reason; for some reason I'd ended up imagining more. :p

About dreams, sometimes the feeling lingers, sometimes the dream itself lingers, sometimes vivid, sometimes not, and sometimes just until the moment I wake up.

Oh this. So is it related to people with Nis or is it just a human condition? Both?

In response to the question, I also have difficulty falling asleep, unless I am extremely exhausted then I fall into an immediate, dreamless night, though this rarely happens. Most of the time, it takes me about an hour or two to fall asleep, and then when I do sleep, it's very light. I'm a very light-sleeper, and I do mean very; the slightest noise or movement could wake me up.

As for dreaming, yes, I do tend to dream in color most nights. Does it have any relation to the Ni? Probable, though I've read somewhere that dreaming in color is mainly due to the new introduction of colored tv compared to the black and white ones that was established way before. Through the colored tv, our minds kind of register that, hence the colored dreaming.

Except for when I'm under a lot of stress, I usually fall asleep easily, but I wake up in the middle of the night or very early in the morning. When I do, nine times out of ten I'm unable to fall asleep again. Also, the slightest noise wakes me up. It comes and goes in phases though, I'm not sure what's causing it.

I can fall asleep easily, and sleep very deeply. Sure, there are times I can't sleep, but they are very far and few between.
I dream very vividly in color , and few things seem out of place.
No 2 headed toaster ovens, that kind of thing.:flypig:

When I took Chantix to quit smoking, one of the side effects is having vivid dreams. I saw it as a benefit of the drug. I had some real doozies!

I couldn't sleep alone until I was 12. I had horrible nightmares. I slept with the TV on every night. Suddenly something clicked and I couldn't get to sleep if there were any noise or light. I'd stay up until dawn a lot. Now I just go to sleep on my husband's schedule.

I read this thread yesterday thinking, "I don't really have trouble sleeping.."... I could freakin' fall asleep until 2am this morning and was supposed toget up at 5:30 to go to the gym...

I'll be going to the gym after work now sinceI ended up sleeping in until 7:45....

Seriously, I'm going to start taking melatonin if this keeps up. I think it's the decongestants I took yesterday :m133:

I can fall asleep anywhere at any time. Road trips? I'm conked out for the entire drive (assuming I'm not the one driving, of course). You have extra space on your floor? I'll curl up and sleep there no problem. I slept through half my classes in high school. Now I'm doing shift work, and my schedule is 23:30-07:00. It's destroyed my sleep rhythms and I'm always tired. On nights when I don't work, I'm up until 3am at least.

I'm with indigo in never getting enough sleep. I can sleep for 12 hours straight, and still feel that I need to sleep for another 12 more. 'Tis rediculous!

i find that working out regularly, especially doing any form of cardio, tunes the body up so you sleep better

I sleep pretty well, but I do have many creative projects going so my mind seems always engaged on some level. I am pretty good at switching off at nighttime, though. Restless? Yes. Sleepless? No.

I have strange sleeping habits. I battle with insomnia a lot, and have all these tricks that I use to deal with it.

I fall asleep quickly and easily, but wake up for hours in the middle of the night. Then I fall back asleep and wake up a few hours later, usually for a few hours. Sometimes this can go on and on and on. It totally sucks. It'll be interesting to see what other people say.

This sounds like my sleeping habits. Lately, after I go to sleep, I wake up four hours later; then I'm awake for a couple of hours before falling asleep again. Now, I expect to wake up in the middle of the night, so before I go to sleep I prepare by setting a book and tea next to my bed. Also, I try to compensate for those couple of hours that I am awake at night by going to bed two hours earlier.

With Ni, it is difficult to shut off my brain. I've heard of different reasons why people have insomnia: low seratonin levels, not eating enough protein, stress, depression. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I have low seratonin levels.

Last edited:
I can fall asleep anywhere at any time. Road trips? I'm conked out for the entire drive (assuming I'm not the one driving, of course). You have extra space on your floor? I'll curl up and sleep there no problem. I slept through half my classes in high school. Now I'm doing shift work, and my schedule is 23:30-07:00. It's destroyed my sleep rhythms and I'm always tired. On nights when I don't work, I'm up until 3am at least.

I'm with indigo in never getting enough sleep. I can sleep for 12 hours straight, and still feel that I need to sleep for another 12 more. 'Tis rediculous!

That reminds me. No matter how much trouble I may be having going to sleep at any time, under any amount of stress. If I'm in the backseat of a car, or on a plane, or traveling in any manner that doesn't have me up doing the driving, walking, navigating, etc. I'll be out cold in no time.

i find that working out regularly, especially doing any form of cardio, tunes the body up so you sleep better

This is so true. Working out regularly helps me sleep very well.

fasdfd;;
my sleeping is very soporadic.
i can lay down for a bit and be completely knocked out..... othertimes, i'm such a light sleeper... it's pretty annoying. i can feel myself rolling around all night.

i remember the majority of my dreams though, when my sleep is deep enough. there's usually surprisingly colorful and detailed.

I have periods of not sleeping much more than the times when I do sleep normally.
I find that I need much more sleep than most people my age (for me, over 10 hours. For others, about 8).
I also have really weird, usually story-like, dreams (had one last night about being forced to have a glass of milk while sitting among a class of people I didn't know in a loft. Before that it was about my older sister trying, but failing, to murder someone). It's pretty entertaining.

I've had problems with insomnia most of my life. It wasn't much of a problem in university when I avoided morning classes like the plague, but once I started working 9-5, it was a different story. :( I think I'm wired to function best when I sleep 9-10 hours a night, go to sleep late, and wake up late. I'll always fall back into that pattern if I don't have any obligations.

I dream often, and I almost always remember them. They're usually pretty weird. :)

I heard that because of our Ni we often feel restless, like we always have to be doing something and that it causes difficulty sleeping....

Yea im here too...

I havent been able to sleep good in literally years.

I think theres like every 2 months i sleep well. Like in a DEEEP sleep.

NO joke. I have SO MUCH to do...

so much to find out....to witness...people to help.

Myself to help...theres just so much i need to do. And..idk. Icant sleep knowing theres things that NEED to happen. Just cant....gotta fix things..

type of person i am