INFJ subtypes | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

INFJ subtypes

I do think there's a balance, however - we're all different, but we're still essential (at our core) one of the eight cognitive functions. But the variations are there, and they're observable.

Expand it too much, and you'll have something outside of MBTI which is nice, but it'll be more nebulous.

Yeah, expand it too far and it will end up with just long strings of cognitive process results.

Using the four primary processes makes sense, developing some of the shadow process is probably possible but much less likely and therefore beyond the scope of this system.

If you feel that you're balanced across you're primary processes then you would just be INFJ and would have no need to specify or research a variant.

If we were to do broad generalizations, what would they be? This is not to categorize and divide, but to rather better understand the spectrum of the INFJ personality :)

I have noticed what I would call sub-types. Let me think how to make some broad strokes about it.

There is some kind of distinction between rather analytical, detached types of INFJs and those that are more passionate in their responses. The passionate ones might describe having a temper, being a fierce protector of loved ones, or being led by a strong emotional response in decisions. If you put this in MBTI terms, I think there are some that relate the Fe and Ni aspect most directly and others that combine Ni and Ti. Empathy can drive either mode of experiencing. On the one hand, you have to be able to really detach from self to be empathetic. Otherwise you are just projecting and not understanding the other person at all. At the same time, empathy is also a connection and is intensely intimate.

There is some kind of variation between having certitude from intuition and having a tendency to keep reexamining from many angles. I have seen INFJs run the whole gamut here. The iNtuitive function is about seeing the big picture and examining from many angles, but Ni has a more distilled quality that looks for the core concept. In this way, Ni has a core with many branches and can be experienced as either extreme, I think.

There is also quite a range in terms of apparent extroversion. Some identify with friends more. For example, I was surprised to see how many photos on here are with friends. It's great, but not something I relate to. I don't think I even have such photos and always thought it was an extroverted thing. The INFJ profile says they can be mistaken for extroverts, but I also know some extreme hermit type INFJs, so there is a distinct range in that behavior.

There is also a range in INFJs in the way they relate to proof. This might also be a Ni-Fe vs. Ni-Ti, or Ni alone thing. Some are content to believe in supernatural types of phenomenons and mystical ideas, while others focus more on logic. It isn't impossible that some of the more logical ones are close to INTJ, because I think women tend to type as F and men as T because of cultural norms. I questioned that in myself as well, but I get a lot of pushback from others if I suggest INTJ. I got a bunch of PMs and comments saying I was wrong and actually INFJ. Truthfully the INTJ forum has something absent that I relate to in my mind. It's more aneseptic and certain. Maybe the tertiary Ti thing is enough, but who knows.

Last edited:
I think Julia has got the right approach - cognitive functions; and how much a particular one is emphasised.

Here's my take on INFJ subtypes:

INFJ Cognitive Functions in Order (hinged on Ni):
Ni, Fe, Ti, Se

Ni: philosopher;
Fe: Counselor;
Ti
: depressive/penitent;
Se: strategist.

Stressed out INFJ's shaddow Cognitive Functions in Order (hinged on Ne):
Ne, Fi, Te, Si

Ne: annoying doomsday soothsayer;
Fi:
fragile prince/princess;
Te:
annoying perfectionist micro-manager;
Si:
narcissistic wanker (in the litteral sense).

Aw you did one for ENTPs too!
I want one!

I don't know many INFPs but it would probably go something like;

INFP

Primary Variant (Strong Fi) = The Philosopher/Activist, knows what they believe in.

Secondary Variant (Strong Ne) = The Dreamer, quirky kind.

Tertiary Variant (Strong Si) = The Author/Poet, inclined to express themselves in writing.

There is some kind of distinction between rather analytical, detached types of INFJs and those that are more passionate in their responses. The passionate ones might describe having a temper, being a fierce protector of loved ones, or being led by a strong emotional response in decisions. If you put this in MBTI terms, I think there are some that relate the Fe and Ni aspect most directly and others that combine Ni and Ti.

i've observed this distinction in myself. in my childhood, i believe i was far more Ni and Fe than now. i've had a period of significant emotional stress that exhausted my capacity to feel and which lead me to delve deeper into myself and develop my tertiary Ti. i believe i came out of it a different person from before. i am calmer and less emotional; less needing of relationships and external justification of my being. yet, i am also less comfortable with emotions and expressing them and usually only experience a slight onset of emotional ambiences in myself before my mind begins observing and analyzing them so as to deter me from becoming irrationally absorbed (and even pained).

Threads merged with newer title

I remember coming here and thinking that all INFJ's were the same. I have found that to be quite the opposite, although many things said here by others echo within me (regardless of type). Perhaps it is the atmosphere of this forum that causes these changes to come about, or maybe the forum works on what is already there.

As for types, I find it possible to go back and forth between different temperments. Although I am inclined to approach a problem a certain way, I have found that the variety that other personalities can provide and the thought processes to be very informative and helpful.

That said, feeling and judging do come easily to me. But it isn't impossible to flip those depending on the situation.

I like that idea!

Last edited:
Very interesting! I am very much the Tertiary subtype. This is probably because I am a guy, male gender roles are biased towards T. And also because I have Asperger's Syndrome, so I have been forced into using my tertiary Ti to understand the little non-verbal signals that most people understand instinctively.

IMO we needs to distinguish between preference and abillity, just because we use a cognitive function we doesn't mean we like using it. I can use Ti very well, but using for too long becomes mentally tiring, and so I often catch myself contradicting myself because it didn't put enough Ti effort into getting things logically coherent. An example from just yesterday was that I went on a rant about California's Proposition 8 and going on and on about how the majority shouldn't be allowed to attack the rights of the minority and realized afterwards that I also had criticized the notion of inherent rights some time ago. :doh:

Very interesting! I am very much the Tertiary subtype. This is probably because I am a guy, male gender roles are biased towards T. And also because I have Asperger's Syndrome, so I have been forced into using my tertiary Ti to understand the little non-verbal signals that most people understand instinctively.

IMO we needs to distinguish between preference and abillity, just because we use a cognitive function we doesn't mean we like using it. I can use Ti very well, but using for too long becomes mentally tiring, and so I often catch myself contradicting myself because it didn't put enough Ti effort into getting things logically coherent. An example from just yesterday was that I went on a rant about California's Proposition 8 and going on and on about how the majority shouldn't be allowed to attack the rights of the minority and realized afterwards that I also had criticized the notion of inherent rights some time ago. :doh:

I was diagnosed with aspbergers syndrome as a child. I saw social cues and the like, but chose to ignore them. Which is what caused the diagnosis; I knew no social bounds. I don't think you really learn to read social cues and subtal signs like that. I think it just might take time for people to see them come forward inside them, and trust that they are right. One needs to have faith in there Ni for them to use it effectivly

I was diagnosed with aspbergers syndrome as a child. I saw social cues and the like, but chose to ignore them. Which is what caused the diagnosis; I knew no social bounds. I don't think you really learn to read social cues and subtal signs like that. I think it just might take time for people to see them come forward inside them, and trust that they are right. One needs to have faith in there Ni for them to use it effectivly
I never "chose to ignore them", I just didn't notice them. The result was me hurting people's feelings, which, obviously given my type, is really distressing and motivated me to learn the little non-verbal cues.

INFJ Subgroups

I think there has been talk of this in the past, but I am not certain.

I think it is pretty clear after hanging around here for a while, that while all of us INFJ's share alot of similar qualities with one another, there are differences between all of us.

As such, there are subgroups of us. I would reason that there is a relationship to this and the cognative function. While we all hold the same Ni>Fe>Ti>Se system for the most part, there are variations and degrees to which we use them, as well as the other 4 cognative functions. I can't really solidify one set theory though. Partly because I wouldn't know where to start really, and everyone would need to give alot more internal imput.

I don't really have a solid theory for this, but I would like one (yay more boxes! :D). So, what I ask is if anyone has their own theory? Mabye as a group we could come up with one.

Last edited:
I was JUST talking about this with someone a second ago.

I think there are definitely different types of INFJs. Myself and this other INFJ are the type that suffers the most from broken hearts/unrequited love. The most tragically beautiful of all types and all INFJ sub-types.

Yes, our INFJ sub-type is the fairy tale that was never written because it's so sad it'd emotionally scar children from the tender young age of 3.

"And the poor INFJ lived by itself while its friends got married they lived happily ever after. The INFJ died of a broken heart and where its body fell became known as The Field of Forgotten Tears. To this day, the flowers grow thick and bloom in brilliant colors. And after it rains there is always a rainbow over that field."

i think we've discussed some of the things you've mentioned on the thread INFJ subtypes, though we've probably haven't solidified a theory on the functions.

i've consistently wondered the same thing after noticing differences in how we all relate with each other and express ourselves.

i think Julia mentioned that there are

INFJs who use a lot of Ni with Fe and Ti as minor supporting roles,

those who exercise Fe strongly to support their Ni, with Ti either not as de
veloped or not as preferred

and others who use their Fe through their Ti function to support their Ni.

OR perhaps these just refer to general stages of development in a person, and therefore are transitory and change with growth. however, i do perceive that some prefer one to the others.

another thing i wanted to mention was, although the Enneagram is another system, perhaps it can help understand how we orient those functions into our lives?

all in all, i think this thread is a great idea Indigo :)

I was JUST talking about this with someone a second ago.

I think there are definitely different types of INFJs. Myself and this other INFJ are the type that suffers the most from broken hearts/unrequited love. The most tragically beautiful of all types and all INFJ sub-types.

Yes, our INFJ sub-type is the fairy tale that was never written because it's so sad it'd emotionally scar children from the tender young age of 3.

"And the poor INFJ lived by itself while its friends got married they lived happily ever after. The INFJ died of a broken heart and where its body fell became known as The Field of Forgotten Tears. To this day, the flowers grow thick and bloom in brilliant colors. And after it rains there is always a rainbow over that field."

Heee, your quote made of giggle.
Posted via Mobile Device

I love your insight Indigo. I think there are as many subgroups as there are people. I also think that an umbrella term such as 'INFJ' that lots of people shelter under isn't a bad thing, if it brings them together in a positive way.:tea: