INFJ subtypes

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
A Quinlanâ„¢ typology theory

Types within types:

So I've started to notice patterns within types and it's got me wondering and I think I've noticed a simple way of breaking types down further.

I will use INFJs as an example to help explain it.

During my time on the forum I've noticed three typical variations to the general INFJ type, first of all we have;

The Primary Variant: This is basically the Uber-INFJ, when you hear someone referring to a "strong" personality they are probably describing a primary variant. This variant is dominated by the primary cognitive process, Ni in the case of INFJs. Their Ni is what is most obvious to others, for me when I come across one of these I find them fascinating
yet difficult to understand, very intuitive/abstract and future orientated. Examples from the forum of this variant; HolySmoke, G.Kai (he should come back, I miss him).

The Secondary Variant: In this variant their secondary process is most evident to others, in the case of INFJs Fe. This variant is very people orientated and often have great depth of feeling, they are always looking to resolve conflict and look out for others. They have a very maternal vibe. Examples from the forum: Sumone, Zencat.

The Tertiary Variant: These INFJs have very obvious tertiary processes, in the case of INFJs this is Ti. The tertiary INFJ will break down ideas, concepts and arguments with precision. They are principled, rational and always questioning. Satya is the poster boy for the tertiary variant INFJ. :D

Younger INFJs don't seem to fit into the system as easily but I believe IndigoSensor to be heading towards the primary variant, Gloomy heading towards the secondary and perhaps Wyote heading towards the tertiary.

Perhaps the wording I've used (primary, secondary etc.
) may not be appropriate as it implies a heirachy where there is none, they are all equally INFJ.

It works for ENTPs too, with a Ne variant, a Ti variant and and Fe variant. Shai Gar representing the Primary variant with lots of unusual ideas, Deathjam representing the secondary with his technical knowhow and Lurker (if she is ENTP) representing the tertiary variant with more interest in other people and perhaps more socially appropriate.

For my type I have noticed the three variants as well, ISFP has the Fi variant, the Se variant and the Ni variant. With the primary (Fi) variant being deeply emotional, the secondary (Se) variant being stereotypically SP more interested in doing than feeling or wondering and then finally you have the Ni variant, this type is more intuitive than the usual Sensor and is more prone to daydreaming and pondering. I believe my type is the Tertiary variant ISFP, which explains why I find iNtuitves so interesting.

Hmm interested in what you think, might come back to this to refine it.

Reactions: TaylorS and VH
Also I think that if someone grows up in an encouraging environment they are more likely to become primary variants and in a lot of cultures F men will lean more towards a thinking variant if one is available.

If that's true, then I'm a Tertiary Variant striving to become a Secondary or Primary Variant.

But consider Von Hase's theory. Maybe I'm just stressed? :lol:

Very insightful! I quite like this alot, and it really does make alot of sense! :high5:

Wyote is the same age as Satya I thought?

And dude, what I don't fit any of the examples?

Wyote is the same age as Satya I thought?

Haha, he is? He has a more youthful vibe maybe. :D

And dude, what I don't fit any of the examples?

Well to tell the truth, I'm almost tempted to include a 4th variant for Se, which would include yourself, Gloomy and efromm.

Now that's the kind of analysis I like. Function-based typing FTW!

On a side note, I have this great idea for a personality type system with about 6 billion types. Whaddya'll think?

Now that's the kind of analysis I like. Function-based typing FTW!

On a side note, I have this great idea for a personality type system with about 6 billion types. Whaddya'll think?

Sounds great! I think I'm DSFGGRQQSDVSDAA with a 3131231ffdwsf wing.

Very insightful. I love being the tertiary variant poster boy! :m129:

I'm curious why you didn't include the inferior function as a variant. Lately I've been feeling myself fall more and more into the grip of my Se, even in periods when I am totally relaxed. Pretty soon I'm going to have to start calling myself an ESTP, since my introverted intuition has become a source of compulsive worrying rather than a gift of insight, and my Fe has left me obsessive about what others are thinking rather than providing me with that calming sense of genuine concern. And so many troubling ESTP traits have been emerging, such as increasingly acting on my impulses without thinking through the consequences and of course my intense competitiveness.

What happens to a type once it is consumed by its shadow?

Last edited:
Very insightful. I love being the tertiary variant poster boy! :m129:

I'm curious why you didn't include the inferior function as a variant. Lately I've been feeling myself fall more and more into the grip of my Se, even in periods when I am totally relaxed. Pretty soon I'm going to have to start calling myself an ESTP, since my introverted intuition has become a source of compulsive worrying rather than a gift of insight, and my Fe has left me obsessive about what others are thinking rather than providing me with that calming sense of genuine concern. And so many troubling ESTP traits have been emerging, such as increasingly acting on my impulses without thinking through the consequences and of course my intense competitiveness.

I don't think someone could be consumed by their shadow, at least permanatly.

I'm curious why you didn't include the inferior function as a variant.

I suppose it's because I've associated the inferior function with well inferiority, and couldn't imagine that function being most obvious in someone put I suppose it's possible.

Lately I've been feeling myself fall more and more into the grip of my Se, even in periods when I am totally relaxed. Pretty soon I'm going to have to start calling myself an ESTP, since my introverted intuition has become a source of compulsive worrying rather than a gift of insight, and my Fe has left me obsessive about what others are thinking rather than providing me with that calming sense of genuine concern. And so many troubling ESTP traits have been emerging, such as increasingly acting on my impulses without thinking through the consequences and of course my intense competitiveness.

I can't really answer this but I suppose finding what truly makes you feel good, what makes you feel most self-actualised and just sticking to it untill you get your mojo back.

Well to tell the truth, I'm almost tempted to include a 4th variant for Se, which would include yourself, Gloomy and efromm.

Why didn't you? There's probably a reason.

He was probably so excited about his theory he didn't want to take the time to type up that 4th varient.

He's probably shopping around his theory for some publishing rights on the book he's going to write.

I suppose it's because I've associated the inferior function with well inferiority, and couldn't imagine that function being most obvious in someone put I suppose it's possible.

I think like you said, SH falls into that category nicely.

I can't really answer this but I suppose finding what truly makes you feel good, what makes you feel most self-actualised and just sticking to it untill you get your mojo back.

That is excellent advice. It just answered a question I have had for a long time. Thanks.

I already said why sillys! see ^

Ok here's the description:

<what do I call it? no way am I calling it the inferior variant> Variant

This variant is the more artistic INFJ, they often express meaning by creating visual works of art. Perhaps more in touch with the here and now, the day to day of the "real" world, they are the most sensate of the INFJs.
Examples: Gloomy, efromm

I think like you said, SH falls into that category nicely.
1234534576131.png

Anyways thanks Quinlan, I see.

lol:pound:

Quinlan's signature goes nice with SH's pictoral response. :lol:

errr umm well you see... I thought that's what the percentages were for, ya know. I hop into all these groups depending on my mood.

You guys are funny =) thinking I'm all think-y like. I'm flattered. If you met me you'd not be saying such things.

Or maybe you would. I donno, Satya is good company.

Last edited: