INFJ Singers | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

INFJ Singers

Bloodbuzz Ohio by the National is a definite favorite of an amazing girl I know whom I strongly suspect of being an INFJ. I first discovered the song and band from her blog. Incidentally she is an amazing singer herself.

(As a couple people here may know, this is a girl I asked out back at the start of September. I hadn't seen her at church for a few weeks before that so I did so though email, and her rejection was through email. She said she was impressed with how heedful and serious-minded my message was but had to be as honest as I requested and so turned me down. She first stated that she would be leaving town soon and was in too transitional a phase of her life to be able to consider any dating relationship, but then continued that she had never thought of me as more than a friend. I responded gracefully enough (Bird though it a great reply) and emphasized that I still sincerely hope to stay in touch and become closer friends despite the distance, but she never responded. A couple weeks later when I last saw her in person our conversation seemed friendly enough and without any of the awkwardness I had feared, but there were plenty of others around who wanted to talk with her so we couldn't speak long. I learned from hearing her talk to others that after taking the LSAT she might be coming back to the area for law school next semester or more likely next year. (I recall from a conversation a year and a half ago that her ambition is to the an immigration lawyer.) I sent her another email again expressing how glad I was to see her one more time and affirming my desire to be better friends as well unwillingness to force the matter if it made her in any way uncomfortable. Again, there was no response. I was never even informed as to the date of her departure or her destination, although I could see from her facebook wall that she left for her family's home near Chicago on the first of last month. She then posted a note apologizing to all her good friends she was too busy to bid adieu, among which I hoped I was included. A few weeks after that it seemed she changed her privacy settings so that I can't see her notes or old profile pics anymore, but as this was at the same time as she changed her home city I assumed it was a meaningless and automatic change. A week after that though her settings were changed further, so that her wall was also inaccessible. This was the day after I said in the Mytype application that I suspect her of being an INFJ, which got posted to her wall. I assumed at first though that she had just shut down her wall to everyone in order to remove distractions while studying for the LSAT, as the little box below her profile did change at that time to be about the LSAT. (Since then it changed to "I like it when you vote" followed by links to websites where one could confirm voter registration information and find lists of candidates on the ballot, which has not been changed again since the election.) I've started wondering since then though, as two weeks ago she started posting more on other people's walls again and these look like parts of wall to wall conversations where half is hidden to me. I've checked her blog a few times but found only one brief entry about frustration in LSAT studying. I also checked her twitter account once or twice a week, from which I learned that she cut her hair, had a bad cold, and less than an hour ago finished her LSAT prep booklet. I've had difficulty concentrating on my school work a lot in the past couple weeks because I can't decide whether I ought to try to contact her again. The reminder from the link to that song at this time did not help with this.)

Alanis Morissette feels like an INFJ, especially after I saw her interview on THE VIEW.
I would have figured her for an ISFJ

It's a long shot but maybe Joe Strummer (the guy in my avatar)? ENFJ is probably more likely.

Quote:

I've thought Johnny Cash too, have to be careful i'm not projecting though.

I have it on a person that has met Joey Strummer several times that he was definitely an extrovert. Very warm and caring too. So Maybe ENFJ or ENFP
Johnny Cash I would have pegged for ENFP. Just the subject matter of the downtrodden of society. Traditional storytelling. Down to earth characters.

hmmm This is a tough one because some songs are and some arent...

Im going to say Tori amos (possibly) But she can also have a very fantastical style as well...

I'd say 100% INFJ. I read an interview where she described songs as just coming to her as ready personalities. She also has many esoteric interests: I can find reference to astrology, archetypes etc. very easily in her texts.
Another very obvious one is Kate Bush, for abovementioned reasons. I also love the fact she wrote "The sensual world" in her thirties, and INFJ individuation is Es develops from 35-50 years of age, so it would be fitting. An awakening into the sensual world. ;D

http://www.infj.com/INFJ_Individuation.htm

I myself have predominantly a "Kafkaesque" storytelling style weaving the fantastic into the mundane. I don't know if I'm out of line suggesting this to be typical INFJ. There's some writers here I'm sure...any thoughts on this?

Is Neil Young a singer? Warble ha ha.

Yeah, le Moz is infj. Marr is intp.

I love Morrisey too!

I guessing that Prince is a INFJ.

We're supposed to be left posterior lobe oriented, which would translate as understanding intuitively patterns , i.e. intervals etc. which would make it easy to self-learn instruments. this definitely would apply to Prince.

Mostly I think it's easy to confuse ISFJs and INFJs. I know a lot of ISFJ musicians who are very warm and sensitive, but as I understand their creative process is very different.

I think Beth Gibbons Might be an INFJ too.
Submitting incriminating evidence:
http://youtu.be/nJrRVl7goLE
:)

Three more on the suspects list:

Florence from Florence and the Machine
http://youtu.be/am6rArVPip8
Alison Goldfrapp
http://youtu.be/WHJbltAPNGA
Karin Dreijer Andersson from Fever Ray
http://youtu.be/x3egxKvmuP8

What about PJ Harvey or Patti Smith?

Last edited by a moderator:
im an INFJ singer xd

me . . every Sunday

Me, but I'm not famous : D

Reactions: MisterNi
me, every time I'm alone in my car. Actually used to sing in public - grew up very musically involved in church, school, etc. Then, adolescence and self-esteem issues kicked in, and I never quite got over the "stagefright" part of it all.

i could send you a mp3 file from and old demo i recorden with my old band :) i dont know if you enjoy heavy metal so i guess i should ask you first!

Reactions: moonlightam
Ladyhawke reeks of INFJ-ness --just look at her for Christsakes. I <3 her.
View attachment 11021
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/11/popandrock

This video couldn't get anymore INFJ-y ***switch to 240p***
[video=youtube;QN8HwUxFouM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN8HwUxFouM[/video]

Does she write her own material? she looks INFJy. :)
I find it's really hard to tell unless a person writes their own material, lyrics especially. I would look for themes of love obviously, but with subtle referece to "mystical" themes (i.e. PJ Harvey's Sheela-na-gig which is not a retelling of the myth or a straightforward reference, more of an allusion). I also find that INFJs tend to be late bloomers and as artists keep their more nebulous insights hid untill later age when they are more comftorable revealing them, though still not exactly explicitly.
the problem with so called manufactured artists is tha what's kind of becoming popular is sometimes imposed on them. Now it seems that "mystica" and "magical" themes are somehow lurking in the collective mind and I've seen much ceremonial and symbolic type imagery creeping into the mainstream.
Now a good music industry type who develops talent actually pulls out the essence out of raw undeveloped talent and it may be they truly see what already hides behind the unassuming surface.
To be honest, and please please don't get me wrong, I wasn't really immediately convinced by the lyric, but it may be because she seems really really young (I'm an old fart) ;D I certainly wrote alot of love between man and woman lyric when I was young...though some tree of life, fate, eternal stuff did slip in there involuntarily... She definitely has that signature "looking good, but not self consciously and not bothering to pose, lost in my own world, slightly androgynous" INFJ vibe going there. I can see that very clearly. The visuals are convincing. Especially in the Magic video. Thanks for sharing your favorite and introducing an artist that's new to me by the way... :)
Just recently the industry has managed to wrap fluff into convincing packaging though. Here's one such artist. Though it's a great song and her voice has amazing tone. She seems interesting but the lyrics are %#&%. Her other song was about teenagers playing a videogame...
example (her fans are going to kick me in the butt for this...)
[video=youtube_share;Bag1gUxuU0g]http://youtu.be/Bag1gUxuU0g[/video]
now here's a really INFJy example of the same type of a hit love song but with referencen to a more mystical kind of love.

[video=youtube_share;PQZhN65vq9E]http://youtu.be/PQZhN65vq9E[/video]

Lyric:
Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air
I know I can count on you
Sometimes I feel like saying "Lord I just don't care"
But you've got the love I need To see me through

Sometimes it seems that the going is just too rough
And things go wrong no matter what I do
Now and then it seems that life is just too much
But you've got the love I need to see me through

When food is gone you are my daily need
When friends are gone I know my savior's love is real
You know it's real

You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love

Time after time I think "Oh Lord what's the use?"
Time after time I think it's just no good
Sooner or later in life, the things you love you lose
But you've got the love I need to see me through

I'm sorry If I'm a little rambly...This just happens to be my area of passion and we all know what that's like.. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION]
Cool, thanks for your reply. I love hearing new stuff that I like right odd the bat. I found out about Ladyhawke on this forum, as she's an artist from New Zealand. I'm not an expert, but here's what I *think* I know about Ladyhawke. She's around 30 she came out with her solo album in her late 20's. Before that she played guitar for another band. She had the ideas and lyrics for her album for a while, but what never able to make anything of it until she found the right people to collaborate with. I get what your saying about mystical themes and I think that her album touches on that here and there. She has a new album coming out very soon and I can't wait to see what that sounds like, perhaps it will be a bit more mystical. I don't think an underlying theme of mysticism is necessary in music to peg someone INFJ, although as an INFJ I do love to interpret the hidden meanings and mysticism in great songs :) One of her songs, From Dusk Till Dawn is about the paranormal and I would say that kind of fits the bill. I'm INFJ and do write songs and sometimes I involve themes of religion, but not always. I wonder about the musicians who write music here, if they have themes of mysticism in their music. That would be an interesting thread to read. The reason I believe she is INFJ is because you get a sense that she gets lost in her own mind. Her new album is called Anxiety, lol.

If Zodiac worked the same way as MBTI does (in other words found through analysis rather than date of birth) I would think it had some merit.

it has limited merit to me, regardless of whether there was an analysis or not. we are not cookie cutter people. i notice a lot of members here use mbti as their guide to 'how to be'. as though they are looking for themselves in some study or other, rather than looking inside themselves.

Mazzy Star, I think:

[video=youtube;XucegAHZojc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XucegAHZojc[/video]

[MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION]
although as an INFJ I do love to interpret the hidden meanings and mysticism in great songs :) One of her songs, From Dusk Till Dawn is about the paranormal and I would say that kind of fits the bill. I'm INFJ and do write songs and sometimes I involve themes of religion, but not always. I wonder about the musicians who write music here, if they have themes of mysticism in their music. That would be an interesting thread to read. The reason I believe she is INFJ is because you get a sense that she gets lost in her own mind. Her new album is called Anxiety, lol.
Anxiety...sounds familiar ;D You're probably right. She looks so young! Then again I'm 31 and still get asked for kids fare at places sometimes. I haven't been IDd for a year though so I must have gotten old suddenly. I think your thread idea is great. It would be interesting. I'm pretty sure there are musicians lurking around here. :)

Anxiety...sounds familiar ;D You're probably right. She looks so young! Then again I'm 31 and still get asked for kids fare at places sometimes. I haven't been IDd for a year though so I must have gotten old suddenly. I think your thread idea is great. It would be interesting. I'm pretty sure there are musicians lurking around here. :)

Me too! Especially when I wear my glasses in public. I ran out of contacts recently so I had to wear my glasses out and got carded EVERY SINGLE TIME I went to buy cigarettes (I quit a week ago). And not politely. I got the third degree like I was guilty for trying to pass a fake ID. Fun times at our age :)

it has limited merit to me, regardless of whether there was an analysis or not. we are not cookie cutter people. i notice a lot of members here use mbti as their guide to 'how to be'. as though they are looking for themselves in some study or other, rather than looking inside themselves.

I suppose, I tend to think of it more as a starting place than any real, rigid structure.

Carl Jung was fascinated by astrology and intrigued by the many occurrences of seeming accuracy in its rich literature. The fact is he structured his theory of personality types (the MBTI) on it.
Also his theory of Synchronicty is inline with those forces that astrology seeks to use.