INFJ Freaks! | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ Freaks!

I bet he has a passion for being normal.

THE FREAK!

Anyhoo, lessee, I'm not exactly freakish, but for an Irishman, being an atheist,passive bisexual, is rather groundbreaking. I also have the oddest habits (chewing the corners of pages and sleeping against the wash machine when depressed) and also, ahem, maybe I'm just a bit ginger.

*death-glare*

INFJs might be strange and odd in their ways (I think I'm an INFJ, but I'm not sure, and it doesn't really matter to me) but I also think the more anyone tries to find ways to separate themselves from others, the more they will find themselves distanced. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The world isn't as blind as we think it is, nor are the people in it lacking depth. People don't see life the same way, but I think the more you let that make you different, the more and more distanced you truly become.
True up to a point, I think. I've tried it both ways - consciously feeling different and not thinking about it at all. I got treated the same way each time and was no further removed from others when I was aware of being different. Sure, I felt more lonely that way, but not more distant.

I'd say my freakishness is mostly just my inuitiveness (like prophetic dreams and knowing when someone's going to text me, reading emotions very well), but that's just because I don't know any other INFJs ^^"
Well, I also have some disassociation from gender, but that's it really :)

Freakiness can be geographically relative

Chessie,
I lived most of my life in Madison, and did not feel like a freak there at all, once I'd left high school. At the U.W. I had a nice circle of friends who were interested in talking about metaphysics, social policy, economics, literature, music, philosophy, and any other deep subject. They despised conventionality and questioned everything. Part of it may have been the age group. Do college students still do that?

Once we get older, we have little time to sit and talk, and after a day of being beat up by the work world, little energy to argue, even respectfully, so we tend to avoid it. I'm a lot older than you are, so I have to deal with the fact that while others appear satisfied with faux friendships, I am still not interested in shallow talk or shallow relationships, and I am willing to use the energy required to go deeper with the few who qualify. Unfortunately, others are not so willing, except when they feel like they need a free shrink;then they dump on me.

What do I mean by "qualify"? I mean that I won't be friends with liars. I can always tell when people lie, and usually can pull a full blown, detailed picture of the truth out of their brains. I used to allow liars in my world, since they are the vast majority, but now I refuse to waste one precious moment on them, and I even call them out. You should see their faces when I tell them I know they just lied and describe what the truth is to them! I admit to enjoying this a little bit too much.

The down side is that this has made me enemies for the first time in my life. Being hated is a new experience for me. I have a serious illness now, and have found I just cannot tolerate people's games/lies any longer. As I get closer to the end, my abilities have gotten stronger and stronger. The time people waste lying for no reason, the materialism, sleep-walking through life, etc., not only makes me feel like a freak, but as if I've been plunked down here from another planet. I feel totally apart from others.

Actually, compared to The Mad City (which I still miss terribly), this place IS another planet! The high school drop out rate is 45% here, the ambiance is actively anti-intellectual and very looks oriented, and keep-up-with-the-Jonses rules. Ugh.

But, I need a hot place for my health, and my husband's job is not portable. Luckily, I have great e-mail friends who have my illness, and I still have some of my old friends by email, including my best friend since age 12, who recently flew 4,000 miles to visit me. Mostly, I am alone though, and feel surrounded by hostiles, some of whom not only hate me but are simultaneously afraid of me. I circle the wagons constantly.....

with empathy,
klutzo

Reactions: Chessie
I'm originally from North Carolina. There's no place I've been that's more alien to me now and when I went back to visit, I felt so far from those persons that I actually made myself sick with worry over their violence and hatred.

You don't realize it when you're living in a place as liberal as Madison. My dearly beloved mate, Salem, is from Florida and is acclimatizing to living in a place rape isn't as likely and where transexuals aren't being shived in the streets while cops look on and grope themselves.

I remember what Carolina was like. I wish that you could live closer Klutzo, for your sake. The stress of being constantly afraid might be near as bad as the cold for your health.

Being a freak here has been a matter of joy and pride. I'll never go back to the South again except to bury my father and when I do, I'll be carrying a gun. Your message really touched a place in my heart and I really feel for you.

For those of you who live in conservative parts of the country...I cannot express to you how different it is. There are a thousand tiny ways in which you edit yourself to keep from being trampled by the rampant stupidity and egotism. GET OUT while you can.

I'm originally from North Carolina. There's no place I've been that's more alien to me now and when I went back to visit, I felt so far from those persons that I actually made myself sick with worry over their violence and hatred.

You don't realize it when you're living in a place as liberal as Madison. My dearly beloved mate, Salem, is from Florida and is acclimatizing to living in a place rape isn't as likely and where transexuals aren't being shived in the streets while cops look on and grope themselves.

I remember what Carolina was like. I wish that you could live closer Klutzo, for your sake. The stress of being constantly afraid might be near as bad as the cold for your health.

Being a freak here has been a matter of joy and pride. I'll never go back to the South again except to bury my father and when I do, I'll be carrying a gun. Your message really touched a place in my heart and I really feel for you.

For those of you who live in conservative parts of the country...I cannot express to you how different it is. There are a thousand tiny ways in which you edit yourself to keep from being trampled by the rampant stupidity and egotism. GET OUT while you can.

I'm not an INFJ, I'm just passing through. I have lived in a lot of places in my lifetime and I think the south is a lot more open with its prejudices but the "North" (New england is what I know the most about) isn't...really all that much better. In New England, classism was the weapon of choice, if you simply didn't "like" someone or a group of people you could EASILY find a way to alienate them from you. Maybe I was less weird in the past, I might need to revisit New England because the South's racism is something I'm learning I can't deal with much anymore...subtly or blatantly (By that I mean...it's just everywhere. Not going to go off topic though)

And as for being a freak: I don't waste my time thinking about what people perceive me to be after a certain extent. If a person doesn't like me, then it's for the best for both of us to move on. I'm attracted to weirdness though, so yeah.

Also, I agree with MF. People don't experience life the same way that I do but that makes them interesting to me. I think you can learn something from everyone; be it something they have lived through or something that have thought of/seen.

Reactions: WellNoWonder
Attracted to weirdness

I agree with Reon that I am attracted to weirdness. My ex-husband used to always complain about my only finding weirdos for friends. He'd ask why I never befriended any normal people. I told him normal people are boring. One of many reasons why he's an ex. Most normals may as well be robots as far as I can tell.

I agree with Chessie about the south too, though there are some things I love about it (but not nearly enough). Don't forget the fundamentalists too! I had never even met one in Madison. Here, when I was helping to run our Neighborhood Watch, they would not join. The serious problems of people being victimized in our area were of no concern to them, since they were about to be "raptured" out of here and go straight to heaven. The hypocrisy of professing views that are the exact opposite of the Christ they claim to worship was lost on these congenital morons. I'm stopping now, since my blood pressure is hitting the tilt button and dinner is ready.

klutzo

I agree with Reon that I am attracted to weirdness. My ex-husband used to always complain about my only finding weirdos for friends. He'd ask why I never befriended any normal people. I told him normal people are boring. One of many reasons why he's an ex. Most normals may as well be robots as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I am definitely attracted to weirdness as well. There is something appealing about it to me, and I really cant explain it either. Music, people, art, etc. if it has this certain type of odd of weird quality to it, I am interested in it and will seek out more of it. I think I could chalk it up to I just like things to be interesting.

My experience is the same as Reon's. Both the South and the North East have intense prejudices, displayed differently. In particular, east jersey/new york/Connecticut is a very bias-driven region.

As for being weird, Chessie, you are definitely an outlier in our society. But am I weird for not disrespecting you for that? There are parts of the country where people like me, who do not judge that way, are themselves labeled freaks, and THAT is what really frightens me. Now, if you told me that you hurt other people nonconsensually, I would have you arrested. But you get the point about symmetry in humanism. I think we have similar ethics. For example, as a relative 'normal', if you found out I was abusing my wife non-consensually, you would have me arrested, and rightly so. So we understand each other's ethics, I think. I guess that does make me an outlier, too.

In the south, that distinction is not always made between symmetric humanism and traditional dogmatic theocratic dogma, and so I understand why it scares you there. Some people actually equate having an unusual consensual relationship without brainwashing as abuse. That's scary. That said, there is nothing more cool than a southern liberal, in my books. Manners, respect, AND advanced ethics. Good package.

I hope you find stability and the ability to mature in your identity.

As far as me being a freak, well, I guess I am. But my freakishness comes more from the way I think, holistically, rather than in logical detail. I make leaps and jumps and it bugs people. But I'm alright.

Last edited:
i was really only kidding about being judged. i think of my personal freakishness as a combination of marginalising factors which are nevertheless within the range of "normal": top percentile IQ, INFJ, and a few other "measurable" variables like that; then in addition a range of other slightly offbeat unmeasurable experiences that have made me who i am - slightly tumultuous childhood, growing up gay, selective school, having worked in hospital operating theatres and gay nightclubs, literature degree, a number of psychiatric hospitalisations, and so on. the rarest thing about me is that after everything that i consist in, i'm totally flat ordinary. haha.

Wow! I read most of the posts on here and have to agree with them. I am not really a freak on the outside but then again what makes someone a freak? I am no more a freak on the inside or outside than any person. I am unique in my own way of thought and the way I function. I may be contradicting at times as like said before, I will side one way following my own convictions but also be able to explain and understand why other people act the opposite way. People don't understand how I cannot be offended when someone does something that doesn't follow my own values and on top of that, how can I defend them when I in fact do not believe in the same things. People don't understand how I can predict how somebody will act just by looking at them and shaking their hand and maybe having a short conversation. So freak? No. Unique? Yes. Even the first poster I would not consider a freak. Misunderstood in most parts of societies? Yes, but not a freak. Maybe that's what makes me a freak, the fact that every person in my mind is normal based on their own perceptions. A freak in my mind would be someone who has no place in civilized society. Someone who murders for the sure enjoyment of watching a person's life end, someone who rapes another person because they desire that power over the person, who people who just want to watch life end and watch the earth crumble. These people I believe to be the true freaks.

I have a freakish mind and preferences. Few people in my day-to-day life would call me a freak, I suspect.

I am also attracted to weirdness - but the attraction is one of curiousity.

Anything that is not run of the mill, or predictable catches my interest - I love trying to understand something odd.

I really don't know how much of a freak I am. My lifestyle isn't exactly normal, but I don't have much to compare to that isn't a bit different.

I'm so much not a freak, it's freaky. hahahaha

Whats a furry?

Yes I am a freak

I love nothing more that sitting down with someone and discussing life the universe and everything.

I look into my friends souls and they recoil.

I have to constantly restrain myself from explaining in detail why person x just behaved the way they did or feels the way they feel because I know it annoys people.

When people around me are talking negatively about someone I find it hard not to explain things from their perspective because it looks as though I share their opinion. How else could I know, right?

One minute I could be talking about the unfairness of modern society and the next I'm justifying the behaviour and the perspective of the people who screw with our society. I could speak out against racism and then give a perfectly plausible explanation for racists behaviour and opinions. It confuses people. They don't know how to take me.

"Which opinion is really his" they must think.

And when I try and explain how I see things from all these perspectives at once. They don't care. They rolls their eyes and go back to talking about their mortgages and what colour they're thinking of painting their living room.

YAWN!

I need some INFJ friends. ESXX and me don't mix
^^^This right down to the YAWN!

Whats a furry?

"Possibly the strangest sub-culture in all of geekdom. Furries range from being harmless fans fascinated by anthropomorphic characters and animals, to immensely withdrawn or self-abosrbed persons who actually believe, or want to believe, they're eagle-winged fox-like versions of themselves with giant gentalia who wouldn't dare be anything else that could be considered mundane. Furries defy any coventional or unifying definition."

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Um, I might plead the 5th

Being an Infj person is not a piece of cake. The world, at best, doesn't understand and at worst can be actively hostile to Infj's. We survive best on low stress and lots of affection although we can find it in ourselves if we have to.

I'm a transexual. I'm a nudist. I'm a furry. I'm in the BDSM subculture. I'm polyamorous. I'm a pansexual. I'd be called a political extremist in most parts of this country.

My home is clothing optional (politely rather than militantly) and I have two female to male transexual INFJs who're truly adorable as mates.

Is it any wonder we tend to slide to the fringe? We're unusual. We explore places in human experience that most people honestly don't want to. We have layers of understanding granted by intuition that border on the clairvoyent. We want to get into people's heads and find out what makes them tick.

Tell me your stories! Time to be proud.

Why are you freaks?

ROFL loudly!! This post is the reason I decided to join. But then, I registered and couldn't find it again until now, heehee. The only thing in your list that I am not into are furries, and I am not a transexual. But, guess what, I know people in my circle that are furries and I had a date with a transexual recently.

My house is nude friendly for sure. There are times when I just don't feel like wearing clothes, so I don't. Even when I own the softest flowing dresses, the feeling of it brushing my skin is plain irritating.
I guess that would probably qualify me as a freak?

Last edited:
"Possibly the strangest sub-culture in all of geekdom. Furries range from being harmless fans fascinated by anthropomorphic characters and animals, to immensely withdrawn or self-abosrbed persons who actually believe, or want to believe, they're eagle-winged fox-like versions of themselves with giant gentalia who wouldn't dare be anything else that could be considered mundane. Furries defy any coventional or unifying definition."

And thats why I didn't answer that question. Its a set of land minds ready to go off. I just wish most furries didn't bring so much drama and crazy. But they seem to roll in it.