INFJ forgetfulness | INFJ Forum

INFJ forgetfulness

invisible

On Holiday
Sep 30, 2009
Avalon Archipelago
MBTI
none
i forget everything all the time, i'm so absentminded and stupid with details. appointments, keys, wallet, belt. if i go to the shop for a screw-in lightbulb, i'll come back with one that isn't screw-in. or if the lightbulb is one of four things on my list of things to get from the shops, maybe i won't come back with it at all, unless i take an actual written list. are you a forgetful INFJ? or do you tend to remember all these sorts of things?

I'm an INTJ, but we also lead with Introverted Intuition like INFJs do, and I am forgetful like you.
I have to write out a list, too.

I sometimes am unsure of what day it is.
Once I was writing a check in a grocery store and I couldn't remember what YEAR it was!

Reactions: Wyst and invisible
I have an INFJ girlfriend and an INTJ mother. Both of whom I have to remember things for.

Reactions: invisible
I am sooo forgetful. I don't know what I'd do without reminders on my phone

I've just been to the shop and paid by card. I had to stall the shopkeeper with awkward small talk while i tried desperately to remember my pin number. Cringe

intp & i'm forgetful too, lists do help to some extent

I can't tell whether I have my keys or wallet on me unless I feel them. I don't know if that's forgetfulness, but I've walked out without one or the other a couple of times.

If I write a note to myself, I'll usually remember, but I missed a presentation (of questionable importance) not too long ago.

Definitely a case of forgetfulness.

My INTJ father and INFJ best friend are quite forgetful. As an INTP whose Si is Tertiary rather than Devilish, my memory tends to be excellent. It is not perfect and can make mistakes (as this role is somewhat immature it is better at remembering things I don't really need to be thinking about than those I do), but is better than that of most people I know. I can describe the details of things that happened 6 years ago better than the Ni dominants I know could describe last night.

(My ISFJ sister is possibly more forgetful though. She is amazing when it comes to rote memorization, but not with memory in general. She also claims to have no sort of inner timeline, not being able to tell if a memory is from a week or a decade ago without a clue like it involving a former teacher.)

I might use lists occasionally, but not that much. As I've long said, my memory is better than my handwriting. I also find that I'll likely forget something when making the list and that relying on the list rather than my unaided memory is prone to creating a false sense of security that I've remembered everything correctly and lead me to forget what I would have remembered to add to my mental list had I not written one.

Last edited:
You can.
You're not letting yourself.
That is why it is a wish....
I know I am stubborn. I just keep chanting "I'm not obsessive, I'm not obsessive, I'm not obsessive" <jokes, I am only a little obsessive and not all compulsive....>

I am sooo forgetful. I don't know what I'd do without reminders on my phone

I've just been to the shop and paid by card. I had to stall the shopkeeper with awkward small talk while i tried desperately to remember my pin number. Cringe

Hahaha...that happens to me a lot. All the time. I like to say I have an excellent short-term memory, for about three months. After that? I forget pin numbers, phone numbers, people's names...it gets embarrassing.

But I also have a bad memory for smaller detail things. Important things? I write them on my calendar.

My INTJ father and INFJ best friend are quite forgetful. As an INTP whose Si is Tertiary rather than Devilish, my memory tends to be excellent. It is not perfect and can make mistakes (as this role is somewhat immature it is better at remembering things I don't really need to be thinking about than those I do), but is better than that of most people I know. I can describe the details of things that happened 6 years ago better than the Ni dominants I know could describe last night.

(My ISFJ sister is possibly more forgetful though. She is amazing when it comes to rote memorization, but not with memory in general. She also claims to have no sort of inner timeline, not being able to tell if a memory is from a week or a decade ago without a clue like it involving a former teacher.)

I might use lists occasionally, but not that much. As I've long said, my memory is better than my handwriting. I also find that I'll likely forget something when making the list and that replying on the list rather than my unaided memory is prone to creating a false sense of security that I've remembered everything correctly and lead me to forget what I would have remembered to add to my mental list had I not written one.

Wow, this is interesting...do you think this is indicative of the ISFJ in general, or is it just your sister? When I remember the past, I know exactly when it happens (or the round ballpark figure) but I've never heard of not knowing when a memory happened. That's amazing to me.

Sounds like there's two kinds of forgetfulness being talked about here. I pwn one of them and get pwned by the other.

My J is very strong, so I almost never forget things like appointments, things I need to do, or due dates.

On the other hand there are things I wish I could be forgetful about. I think I'd be doing myself a disservice if I did forget them though.

Being able to look back on something and remember why ___ was a bad decision is important. I'd hate to eff myself over by doing the same thing again.

Reactions: INTJMom
If I have several things on my plate, I will almost always forget one of them. If I have one or two things, I never forget. I am generally good about appointments and terrible with people's names(at first).

Wow, this is interesting...do you think this is indicative of the ISFJ in general, or is it just your sister? When I remember the past, I know exactly when it happens (or the round ballpark figure) but I've never heard of not knowing when a memory happened. That's amazing to me.

My sister had brain surgery to remove a benign tumor about 4 years ago and has this problem all the time now. She can remember stuff but not place it in a rational timeline. Sometimes she will talk about stuff like it just happened when it was something from our younger days. Time is a bit of a difficult concept for her. When she gets frustrated I tell her she has an automatic "out"--brain surgery trumps all when it comes to getting a "pass" for forgetting stuff!!!

I 95% of the time can never remember where I left my keys, that I had put something in the microwave, dryer, etc

But

I can remember appointments, birthdays, pi, quotations, school-related things, songs, odd things that no one else remembers, all of the teachers i ever had, what i wore on the first/last days of school since kindergarten. lol

I have a steel-trap mind for remembering things. I never leave without something I've brought (and that's probably because I'm always nervous I'm going to forget something so I'm constantly checking my pockets to make sure I still have wallet, keys, phone, and what not) and I've never missed an appointment. Even when I've missed class, I've had to intentionally do it.

On the other hand, I forget doing things all the time. Did I write that down? Did I do the laundry? Did I lock the door? I even surprise myself by going to do something and realizing I already did it. I also forget names within seconds of learning them.

at least 3 or 4 times a week, I will put something down, my phone, my keys or something, turn around to go take a piss or something come back then go.... wait... where is my phone/keys/etc and then spend an hour looking for them... turns out it was right where I left it, on the kitchen table and I somehow walked past it 10 times because it was just beyond my laptop and out of sight.

I 95% of the time can never remember where I left my keys, that I had put something in the microwave, dryer, etc

But

I can remember appointments, birthdays, pi, quotations, school-related things, songs, odd things that no one else remembers, all of the teachers i ever had, what i wore on the first/last days of school since kindergarten. lol

Me too.

Things involving other people I NEVER forget, appointments, due dates, etc.

Inanimate objects? Every single time (no exaggeration) I cannot find my shoes when I need to go to work or school.