I'm starting to think I might be an ENFJ | Page 12 | INFJ Forum

I'm starting to think I might be an ENFJ

I doubt it will, hehe, but thank you, sweetie.

I took the cognitive functions test again and got an interesting result today. I think now that I have left the extremely stressful job and personal situation, my thinking has 'settled down' quite a bit and I have shifted from my NFJ mode into my NFP mode. This would support Beebe's theories of shadow functions, despite my not wanting to agree with them, and I am actually a well developed ENFJ / INFP type. (The assumption is that when someone uses their shadow functions long enough, they become second nature, thus developing two types.) If Beebe is correct, then INFJs would have an ENFP side and vice versa. I've seen a lot of confusion among people here who have thought they were both at any given time. This could also support the theory.

So, in other words, INFJs may very well develop an ENFP side naturally if they are under a lot of stress? Because I've been seeing a lot more ENFP out of myself lately, and I thought it was strange because I figured I'd be more like ISTP or ESTP before I became ENFP-like, yet that seemed to happen sooner than the other two.

I took the cognitive functions test again and got an interesting result today.

Here's today's results...

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development
(Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************ (24.9)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************** (14.6)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************** (34.9)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41.9)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24.6)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************** (26.8)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************* (31.9)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation​

Four pages?! Really?!

I'm just going to say you are an extrovert right now, introverts don't keep pages themed around them going for FOUR PAGES!!

Four pages?! Really?!

I'm just going to say you are an extrovert right now, introverts don't keep pages themed around them going for FOUR PAGES!!

In my defense, a lot of that has been question and answer stuff that has little or nothing to do with me, as this thread has become more focused on MBTI self exploration in general than just my own.

But, yeah, I think about all of this way too much, especially considering that I still haven't nailed my type down. The more I try to figure it out, the more it eludes me... which makes me want to figure it out even more.

Depending on my mood, situation, etc, INFJ, ENFJ, ENFP, and INFP are all equally descriptive of my personality preferences.

So, in other words, INFJs may very well develop an ENFP side naturally if they are under a lot of stress? Because I've been seeing a lot more ENFP out of myself lately, and I thought it was strange because I figured I'd be more like ISTP or ESTP before I became ENFP-like, yet that seemed to happen sooner than the other two.

According to Beebe's theories on shadow functions, yup. There have also been some follow up works on the theory that seem a bit more valid. Essentially, the shadow functions tend to trip people up until they learn to control them, at which point they become a serious asset.

http://www.vtwellness.net/type_and_archetypes/personality_types/

Here are some interesting self exam type checklists that you might want to compare yourself to...

http://www.vtwellness.net/type_and_archetypes/archetype_based_self_exam/

Just click on the various types and see if it matches up with yourself. Here's the INFJ checklist. It seems to describe me far better than ENFJ or INFP, and ironically since we're on the subject of Beebe - ENFP is the very close second. Maybe my 'ENFJ' assumptions are actually an INFJ/ENFP connection.

Last edited:
And here are my approximate averages from all of my results I've been saving...
Ni = **************** 40
Fi = *************** 37
Fe = ************** 35
Ne = ************ 30
Ti = *********** 28
Se = ********** 25
Te = ********* 22
Si = ******** 20

The INFJ order is clear. The ENFP order is also lurking in there if you flip Fi and Ne (and this test scores me lower on Ne than the other tests I've taken, as well as higher on Fi). N, F, T, then S.

This is more credit to the Beebe theory as it suggests all of my experience with my shadow functions is turning into an overall gestalt that can not only switch from INFJ to ENFP, but also now into ENFJ and INFP if need be.

Kinda neat actually. I need to let my Ni percolate on this. Might glean a new insight about the Jungian architecture.

Last edited:
In my defense, a lot of that has been question and answer stuff that has little or nothing to do with me, as this thread has become more focused on MBTI self exploration in general than just my own.

But, yeah, I think about all of this way too much, especially considering that I still haven't nailed my type down. The more I try to figure it out, the more it eludes me... which makes me want to figure it out even more.

Depending on my mood, situation, etc, INFJ, ENFJ, ENFP, and INFP are all equally descriptive of my personality preferences.

The more you look, the less you really know.

The more you look, the less you really know.

If ever there were a more true Ti + Se statement, I don't think I've ever heard it. Nice.

Funny thing is, my INTJ tells me that this endless quest is proof positive of introversion, as it is a strong manifestation of introspection. Ni is a constant function of assessment and calibration.

I think this quote is the most apt - "INFJs place great importance on havings things orderly and systematic in their world. They put a lot of energy into identifying the best system for getting things done, and constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives."

One of my priorities has been self discovery. While I might be one of the most obsessive about it, I'm certainly not the only INFJ who has gone through this phase of type doubt and insistence on clarifying. It even seems to be a defining trait of the type.

After reading this INFJ Checklist, and seeing how it relates to ENFP as a shadow function, I'm fairly certain I'm an INFJ again - and that all my awkward attempts to get to the bottom of my intuition were failing because I had the wrong direction. I'm sure a lot of you guys can empathize with that feeling... when you know something but can't put your finger on it, keep looking in the same spot, and find out you were right next to it the whole time.

After reading this INFJ Checklist, and seeing how it relates to ENFP as a shadow function, I'm fairly certain I'm an INFJ again - and that all my awkward attempts to get to the bottom of my intuition were failing because I had the wrong direction. I'm sure a lot of you guys can empathize with that feeling... when you know something but can't put your finger on it, keep looking in the same spot, and find out you were right next to it the whole time.
yeah, I always kept believing you were INFJ after all :becky: you sounds so much like me

Last edited:
I think this quote is the most apt - "INFJs place great importance on havings things orderly and systematic in their world. They put a lot of energy into identifying the best system for getting things done, and constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives."

One of my priorities has been self discovery. While I might be one of the most obsessive about it, I'm certainly not the only INFJ who has gone through this phase of type doubt and insistence on clarifying. It even seems to be a defining trait of the type.

LOL. I'm not surprised :) Welcome back to yourself :)

If ever there were a more true Ti + Se statement, I don't think I've ever heard it. Nice.

Funny thing is, my INTJ tells me that this endless quest is proof positive of introversion, as it is a strong manifestation of introspection. Ni is a constant function of assessment and calibration.

Speaking of INTJ, I'm going to repeat this one more time: you should be an INTJ!!! I'd love you foreverz!

yeah, I always kept believing you were INFJ after all :becky: you sounds so much like me

LOL. I'm not surprised :) Welcome back to yourself :)

Thanks guys.

Funny thing was, this whole thread has been an argument between my intuition which felt that I am and have always been an INFJ, and my logic which thought that couldn't be right for the various reasons mentioned. I think all INFJs can relate to the battle between reason and intuition - and how when these two things compete, reason is almost never right, no matter how much it may seem so.

Hopefully, this thread will serve as an example of the foibles of the INFJ self discovery process. If nothing else, the responses here have proven that a lot of INFJs have gone through the same stages. I've just been the one to think out loud while I'm doing it.

*INFJ hugs for all my brothers and sisters*

this is so true, I know what you mean Von..'m in this quest of self-discovery as well..and I never seem to be satisfied because of my changing results..

this is so true, I know what you mean Von..'m in this quest of self-discovery as well..and I never seem to be satisfied because of my changing results..

No disrespect intended, but you are only 15. The human mind biochemically isn't fully developed cognitively until around the age of 25. You're still in the development of your mind. At this point, the closest you can come to identifying your type is a best guess at which type you will develop into. At this point, it looks like it is some sort of INF type, but that could change. The mind develops different cognitive functions at different points. Se and Fi are the earliest, and Ne and Ti are the next early development functions for most people. Si and Fe come later, while Ni and Te are last for most adults (making NTJs the ultimate late bloomers). Somewhere in there, people develop a preference toward one of the Judging and one of the Perception functions.

You're a really smart kid. Brilliant in fact. I think you're awesome, and I have no doubt that you will end up being an N type. You may grow into T or F, and there is really no way to tell if you will be an I, E, J, or P at this early stage.

However, it is a unique opportunity to decide for yourself which type you are and focus on those traits. If I were you, I would decide that I was completely unique and that I had all of the traits I found favorable. You are a unique individual, and your mind is your own to do with as you see fit.

Be even more amazing than you already are.

No disrespect intended, but you are only 15. The human mind biochemically isn't fully developed cognitively until around the age of 25. You're still in the development of your mind. At this point, the closest you can come to identifying your type is a best guess at which type you will develop into. At this point, it looks like it is some sort of INF type, but that could change. The mind develops different cognitive functions at different points. Se and Fi are the earliest, and Ne and Ti are the next early development functions for most people. Si and Fe come later, while Ni and Te are last for most adults (making NTJs the ultimate late bloomers). Somewhere in there, people develop a preference toward one of the Judging and one of the Perception functions.

You're a really smart kid. Brilliant in fact. I think you're awesome, and I have no doubt that you will end up being an N type. You may grow into T or F, and there is really no way to tell if you will be an I, E, J, or P at this early stage.

However, it is a unique opportunity to decide for yourself which type you are and focus on those traits. If I were you, I would decide that I was completely unique and that I had all of the traits I found favorable. You are a unique individual, and your mind is your own to do with as you see fit.

Be even more amazing than you already are.

Thank you!! Your posts always enlighten me.

Well... this is interesting. I got this in a test result and thought I'd post it here since it is highly relevant...

Differences between INFJ and ENFJ

It may help you work out your type if we compare the similarities and differences between INFJ and ENFJ.
One important thing to look at is which preferences 'dominate' the personality. Carl Jung and Isabel Briggs Myers said there is a 'dominant function'. What this means, in simple terms, is that two of the letters in the type code are much more important than the others.
For people with INFJ preferences, the most important letters are I and N. For people with ENFJ preferences, the most important letters are E and F. This means that there is a very important difference between INFJ and ENFJ. The letters in the type code that are particularly important for them are different, or they have different 'dominant functions'.

The Dominant Function

For INFJ the most important preferences are Introverted Intuition. Your 'dominant function' is Intuition, oriented towards the inner world. You use your imagination to create new and different ideas and perspectives. You observe the world around you, and use your imagination to consider what you have observed from a number of different perspectives. You dream up new ideas and insights, often producing radical solutions to problems. You have a long term vision, and demonstrate an apparent understanding of what (as far as other people are concerned) cannot be clearly known.
For ENFJ, however, the most important preferences are Extraverted Feeling. Your 'dominant function' is Feeling, oriented towards the outer world. This means you focus on building harmony in the world around you. You like to build rapport with people and create a positive atmosphere. You look after people's welfare. You naturally want to motivate others and make sure they are happy in each situation. You value other people's contributions, seek to develop the role that others play, and invest a lot of effort in building positive relationships. You try to overcome differences of opinion and find ways in which people can agree.

Preference Differences

INFJ and ENFJ differ in Extraversion/Introversion. This preference is about where you prefer to direct your energy. If you prefer to direct your energy to deal with people, things, situations, or 'the outer world', then your preference is for Extraversion. If you prefer to direct your energy to deal with ideas, information, explanations or beliefs, or 'the inner world', then your preference is for Introversion.
Everybody uses both sides of the preferences at times, depending on the circumstances. But the difference between the two personality types is your natural inclination. That is, which would you prefer to do in a situation of free choice?
This is more proof positive that how chatty, verbose, talkative, or quiet someone tends to be is not an indication of introversion or extroversion with respect to cognitive functions.

I've said this for as long as I've been involved in Jungian archetypes... get an INFJ talking about something they love, and you'll have a really hard time shutting them up. Keep feeding them with interest in the subject, and they will talk for DAYS, ignoring sleep to keep going.

Heh, but I digress. I put in bold the things that apply most to me. It was all the INFJ stuff, and quite honestly one of the most apt descriptions of the distinction between INFJ and ENFJ I've read.

What test is that? I did one last week, and I got a description almost exactly like that, except it was the difference between INFJ and INTJ. It was amazingly accurate, and explained a lot.

Thanks guys.

Funny thing was, this whole thread has been an argument between my intuition which felt that I am and have always been an INFJ, and my logic which thought that couldn't be right for the various reasons mentioned. I think all INFJs can relate to the battle between reason and intuition - and how when these two things compete, reason is almost never right, no matter how much it may seem so.

Are you kidding me, that is the story of my life :D. Those endless battles between intuition and reason are mostly caused by my father who is I think a Thinker and who doesn't understand how I can make a choice without a good argumentation. So I go on and on reasoning the problem untill I'm mad. And than intuition comes in and says: "this is the choice you should make". And that's (almost) always right on :becky:.

hmm, according to that test I'm 77% INFP and 76% INFJ. And the explanation of the INFP seems to fit better than the one of INFJ, damn :)

Last edited:

I used to think I was an ENFP, but that was because I took a printout test and added up the letters. There was nothing to assess cognitive functions.

Sometimes I exhibit ENFP qualities, but I realized that the (Ne) and (Fi) cognitive functions don't sound like me.