I'm starting to think I might be an ENFJ | Page 13 | INFJ Forum

I'm starting to think I might be an ENFJ

hmm, according to that test I'm 77% INFP and 76% INFJ. And the explanation of the INFP seems to fit better than the one of INFJ, damn :)

I really don't think the difference in 1 percentage point is significant. What were your ENFP and ENFJ scores? If you're an INFJ with a strong INFP lean, you're likely to have solid scores in those types as well. If nothing, I've learned that INFJs who have a lot of experience with their shadow side (ENFP) develop a pretty convincing INFP and ENFJ side as well.

I used to think I was an ENFP, but that was because I took a printout test and added up the letters. There was nothing to assess cognitive functions.

Sometimes I exhibit ENFP qualities, but I realized that the (Ne) and (Fi) cognitive functions don't sound like me.

Yup, that fits Beebe's model of the INFJ having an ENFP shadow side perfectly.

Last edited:
I really don't think the difference in 1 percentage point is significant. What were your ENFP and ENFJ scores? If you're an INFJ with a strong INFP lean, you're likely to have solid scores in those types as well. If nothing, I've learned that INFJs who have a lot of experience with their shadow side (ENFP) develop a pretty convincing INFP and ENFJ side as well.

They were both in the range of 60% ENFP lower than ENFJ.

They were both in the range of 60% ENFP lower than ENFJ.

Yes, that's perfectly normal for INFJ from what I've seen. Because ENFJ is higher than ENFP, I am pretty sure you are an INFJ, not an INFP. It is very easy for INFJs to mistype as INFPs due to the fact that our dominant function (Ni) is a P function. When we get too deep into Ni, we sometimes test P.

I am fairly certain that the most common mistype for INFJ is INFP followed by INTJ and ENFJ tied for second, with ENFP coming in a close third. From what I've seen of INFJ's results on that test, those 4 types are almost always at the top of our lists.

Last edited:
Yes, that's perfectly normal for INFJ from what I've seen. Because ENFJ is higher than ENFP, I am pretty sure you are an INFJ, not an INFP. It is very easy for INFJs to mistype as INFPs due to the fact that our dominant function (Ni) is a P function. When we get too deep into Ni, we sometimes test P.

I am fairly certain that the most common mistype for INFJ is INFP followed by INTJ and ENFJ tied for second, with ENFP coming in a close third. From what I've seen of INFJ's results on that test, those 4 types are almost always at the top of our lists.

I don't know if you have written this somewhere else, but how exactly do you see the difference between INFJ and INFP? The impression I get from the test is that INFP internally linger on there emotions (Si), do things and make descissions based on those emotions while INFJ's linger more on there intuition (Ni). They "feel" more in the sense of intuition while INFP "feel" in the sense of emotion. What I would call my INFP state is when have a problem in the outside world, a problem with connecting and working with people and than I internelise that and debate the problem using my emotions. While when I'm in INFJ mode I doesn't have to debate the problem, I just know who I am, what I want and what I have to do. And if I'm correct in this analysis than INFP is for me more a stress state and eventually a always turn back into the INFJ mode. But I must notice, the INFJ modes is one that I don't use very frequently. I will rather be INFP or ENFJ, only when I'm alone or when I'm overstressed I will turn back into INFJ and will be wondering why the hell I have ever left it!

Do you have some ideas or experience on this since you also seem to have INFP experiences?

I don't know if you have written this somewhere else, but how exactly do you see the difference between INFJ and INFP? The impression I get from the test is that INFP internally linger on there emotions (Si), do things and make descissions based on those emotions while INFJ's linger more on there intuition (Ni). They "feel" more in the sense of intuition while INFP "feel" in the sense of emotion. What I would call my INFP state is when have a problem in the outside world, a problem with connecting and working with people and than I internelise that and debate the problem using my emotions. While when I'm in INFJ mode I doesn't have to debate the problem, I just know who I am, what I want and what I have to do. And if I'm correct in this analysis than INFP is for me more a stress state and eventually a always turn back into the INFJ mode. But I must notice, the INFJ modes is one that I don't use very frequently. I will rather be INFP or ENFJ, only when I'm alone or when I'm overstressed I will turn back into INFJ and will be wondering why the hell I have ever left it!

Do you have some ideas or experience on this since you also seem to have INFP experiences?

The differences between INFJ and INFP are subtle, but fairly large.

INFPs start with Fi - which is how they feel about things. When Fi is too strong, it can seem very self absorbed and tends to jump to emotionally self focused conclusions. When someone compliments a group of people, Fi asks "Why didn't I get complimented too?" INFPs then move to Ne - which is possibilities. But, it is important to note that INFPs use Ne to support Fi. In the example above, an INFP would likely begin postulating a number of scenarios to support how they feel about not being complimented. If they feel exluded, Ne will create scenarios to explain why they were excluded. If they feel snubbed, forgotten, or whatever, Ne will likely create possible reasons why the people who did not compliment them did so intentionally to invoke those emotions. Ne validates Fi for INFPs, good, bad, or indifferent.

INFJs start with Ni - which is seeks the answer. I think the most interesting thing about having this function as our dominant is the fact that Ni seeks answers before we know the questions. However, when Ni is too strong, we get lost in our heads. To continue the example, if someone complemented a group of people, but did not compliment an INFJ, our dominant function is already seeing how we relate to the subject of compliment, and if there is any reason for us to be on that list. Next, we move to Fe which is relative philosophical reasoning to support what our Ni intuits. In this example, we would then look at how the people on the list relate to the subject of compliment, and how they relate to the person issuing the compliment. We quickly jump to the conclusion that the person was complimenting a group of friends that they spent the weekend with, because of the way the compliment was phrased and we know these people to be 'close', and remember two of the people on that list mentioning an upcoming weekend trip. Our Ni and Fe put all the pieces together, and now we see that obviously, we wouldn't be included in that list. We were not there.

And yes, there are a lot of threads on this forum on the subject of INFJ vs INFP. A quick search should uncover more information than you'll ever need.

I also like what this website had to say about the subject...

Differences between INFJ and INFP

It may help you work out your type if we compare the similarities and differences between INFJ and INFP.
One important thing to look at is which preferences 'dominate' the personality. Carl Jung and Isabel Briggs Myers said there is a 'dominant function'. What this means, in simple terms, is that two of the letters in the type code are much more important than the others.
For people with INFJ preferences, the most important letters are I and N. For people with INFP preferences, the most important letters are I and F. This means that there is a very important difference between INFJ and INFP. The letters in the type code that are particularly important for them are different, or they have different 'dominant functions'.

The Dominant Function

For INFJ the most important preferences are Introverted Intuition. Your 'dominant function' is Intuition, oriented towards the inner world. You use your imagination to create new and different ideas and perspectives. You observe the world around you, and use your imagination to consider what you have observed from a number of different perspectives. You dream up new ideas and insights, often producing radical solutions to problems. You have a long term vision, and demonstrate an apparent understanding of what (as far as other people are concerned) cannot be clearly known.
For INFP, however, the most important preferences are Introverted Feeling. Your 'dominant function' is Feeling, oriented towards the inner world. This means you give importance to particular thoughts, ideas, or beliefs. You are value driven, and you often bring a sense of priority that is derived from your strong convictions. You seize upon and emphasise ideas or thoughts that have the greatest import, bringing them to the fore and stressing their significance. You assess the inherent value or importance of new ideas and beliefs, focusing on those about which you feel most strongly.

Preference Differences

INFJ and INFP differ in Judgement/Perception. This preference is about your lifestyle. If you prefer your life to be planned, stable and organised then your preference is for Judging (not to be confused with 'Judgemental', which is quite different). If you prefer to go with the flow, to maintain flexibility and respond to things as they arise, then your preference is for Perception.

Last edited:
Thanks!

How you describe INFP, that is exactly who I am at work and with other people, mainly when I'm not comfortable or stressed

how you described INFJ that is who I am when I'm alone or at eas

It is really funny, now I think of it, there is always a battle in me between INFP and INFJ. It is like I what to be INFJ but there is always this little INFP voice in my head asking what do people think of me, why don't they like me.

I'm still wondering which is my basic state.

I did the test again:

first result:
77% INFP > 76% INFJ > 70% ISFP > 66% INTJ > 60% ENFJ > 56% ENFP
Fi - 26 > Ni - 25> Si - 19 > Fe - 18 > Ti - 17 > Ne - 16 > Se - 10 > Te - 9

second result:
82% INFJ > 75% ENFJ > 73% INFP > 68% INTJ
Ni - 26 > Fi - 24 > Fe - 24 > Si - 18 > Ne - 17 > Te - 11 > Ti - 11 > Se - 9

so basically my Fi and Ni are about the same and Fe has changed which probably has influenced the result

I'm still wondering which is my basic state.

When you first wake up are you...

... in touch with your feelings before you're able to start seeing connections or paying attention to your surroundings?

... or are you still in that 'lost in your head' sort of state that is at once aware of everything but unable to act on anything consciously?

I believe the second one, so that's INFJ?

When I just got up I actually don't care about other people and I have to warm up before I can sociallize properly. After that my feelings start up. I'll check tomorrow morning :D

Classic INFJ preferences there.

Someone once told me that the best way to tell which is your dominant function is check which one is active the moment you wake up, or when you are about to fall asleep. I didn't believe it until I started asking people of various types, and it seems very accurate. As the mind shuts down, it turns off each function in order of least to greatest. It does the same in reverse when it starts up.

Ni dominant people are very much not 'morning people'. Strangely though, it is in those moments that I have the most clear Ni insights. I've also noticed that Ni dominant people tend to have a lot of trouble getting to sleep and complain of 'not being able to turn our minds off'. This is also Ni, which runs subconsciously at all times.

In contrast, Fe and Te dominant people are very chatty in the morning. Fe types are warm and polite, while Te types are on a mission.

Fi and Ti dominant people are alert but don't like to talk. Fi dominants have a very clear mood when they wake up, good bad, or indifferent. Ti dominants are prone to scribbling down notes.

Se and Ne dominant people are full of energy and zeal when they wake up. Se dominants are the kind of people who jog before they eat breakfast. Ne dominant people are kicking around tangents and possibilities as soon as their eyes open.

Si dominant people are very fussy, noticing everything that is 'out of place'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
And here is something that I've noticed, though I don't have any published theory to back it up...

Any given type will develop midpoints between their standard functions when testing their overall cognitive function strengths. For example, INFJs are supposed to be Ni > Fe > Ti > Se > Ne > Fi > Te > Si, but a lot INFJs test as something resembling Ni > Ne > Fe > Fi > Ti > Te > Se > Si. More curious is the fact that the shadow functions are usually at a mathmatical midpoint between the standard functions. For instance, if Ni is 40 and Fe is 30 then Fi is really close to 35.

I have no idea what causes this. There are a lot of possible reasons, but the end result is that the pattern exists.

Your strong Fi score is very normal from what I've seen of INFJ cognitive function results. We tend to have strong Fi and Ne in addition to our functions.

Classic INFJ preferences there.

Someone once told me that the best way to tell which is your dominant function is check which one is active the moment you wake up, or when you are about to fall asleep. I didn't believe it until I started asking people of various types, and it seems very accurate. As the mind shuts down, it turns off each function in order of least to greatest. It does the same in reverse when it starts up.

Ni dominant people are very much not 'morning people'. Strangely though, it is in those moments that I have the most clear Ni insights. I've also noticed that Ni dominant people tend to have a lot of trouble getting to sleep and complain of 'not being able to turn our minds off'. This is also Ni, which runs subconsciously at all times.

In contrast, Fe and Te dominant people are very chatty in the morning. Fe types are warm and polite, while Te types are on a mission.

Fi and Ti dominant people are alert but don't like to talk. Fi dominants have a very clear mood when they wake up, good bad, or indifferent. Ti dominants are prone to scribbling down notes.

Se and Ne dominant people are full of energy and zeal when they wake up. Se dominants are the kind of people who jog before they eat breakfast. Ne dominant people are kicking around tangents and possibilities as soon as their eyes open.

Si dominant people are very fussy, noticing everything that is 'out of place'.

This is a helpful description.

Thanks Von!

this is all so interesting! I've always been wondering who I really am because I can take so many fases but which is the real one. Seeing my results, it actually make sense that I can switch easily between personality types. It is so helpfull now to understand my behaviour at times :D

Any given type will develop midpoints between their standard functions when testing their overall cognitive function strengths. For example, INFJs are supposed to be Ni > Fe > Ti > Se > Ne > Fi > Te > Si, but a lot INFJs test as something resembling Ni > Ne > Fe > Fi > Ti > Te > Se > Si. More curious is the fact that the shadow functions are usually at a mathmatical midpoint between the standard functions. For instance, if Ni is 40 and Fe is 30 then Fi is really close to 35.

Indeed, I have been looking back to the these test results
http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?p=163984
and a lot of INFJ's have NI and Fi as there dominant functions, followed by Fe and Ne and Se at the bottom