How to tell if you're an INFJ | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

How to tell if you're an INFJ

But if you had to choose one or the other? Whenever I do physical activity, it's also an opportunity to let my mind wander. In other words, I'm almost always doing Ni, whether or not I'm doing Se.

Exactly this.

But if there was a way, you'd use it?

Of course. There's never a need to be unsavory, especially if the news itself is "hurtful" by nature. But wouldn't even non-Fe dominanted people see the common sense in that?

But you do? I was more referencing those moments when we are already lost in our heads, and people come by and try to interact with us. It usually takes me a moment to shift gears.

It's rare for people to really catch me off guard, though; I usually snap to attention as soon as someone walks into the room. I don't space out quite like that either. My Ni is the strongest whenever I'm doing something mindless, like, cleaning the house, running, or driving. Otherwise, I... I can't even describe my general experience with Ni. Hmm. Just auto-pilot, I guess.

Ni uses the patterns of the past to predict the future. I suppose this really boils down to where your focus lies... on what was or what will be.

Most definitely Ni, in that case.

You have a very strong Te though, so this one will be a toss up for you for sure.

Hah. Maybe I can fuse these two and schedule in some time to have myself caring about others more efficiently?

Ni dominant people complain about this a lot. Eventually in life we realize that no one else thinks like us. Some of us realize it earlier than others. I've noticed that INFJs tend to be more sociable yet in their own idealistic fantasy worlds, while INTJs tend to be more disconnected yet paying more attention to the 'real' world.

Yeah, but I think everyone at some point in their lives feels like there's nobody else out there that understands them. I guess I never quite experienced it to the extent that a number of my fellow INFJs describe.

Last edited:
D: I can't even get names right.... Sorry!!! I'm really tired (going through an insomniatic stage).

Not a problem, darling. I've done that before myself. :)

True, but you can always be the definition of diplomatic, even if it does cause offense (at least, I think that, but obviously I could be wrong).

And I 100% agree with you here. It's just unfortunate that some people have different definitions of "diplomatic" and that is where the problem arises in the first place. I, for one, try to keep things as civil as possible and try to adjust my diplomatic play in accordance to what I already know of the person and how I estimate they would take the news based on similar experiences in the past.

Eventually, though, some people will try my patience and I'll just say what I have to say bluntly. (Hey, I'm an INFJ not a saint :))

1. You would rather ponder the unknown than go out and be physically active if you were given the choice. (Ni > Se)
2. You would rather accommodate people's feelings than tell them a hurtful truth if you can help it. (Fe > Ti)
3. You care more about getting along with others than making waves. (Fe > Ne)
4. You care more about what goes on in your mind and imagination than socializing or being polite. (Ni > Fe)
5. You feel bad when you realize you weren't polite when you were lost in your imagination. (Ni > Fe)
6. You tend to classify people into groups more than stand up for everyone's rights as an individual. (Fe > Fi)
7. You're more concerned with the future than the past. (Ni > Si)
8. You care about a lot of people's feelings and well being, but are not very concerned with making sure they're being efficient. (Fe > Te)
9. You just don't fit in, even with the other people who don't fit in with anyone but themselves. (Ni > Ne)
10. You're kinda clumsy, yet can pull off some amazing physical feats sometimes. (Se inferior)

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS COMFORTING:m015:

Exactly this.

Of course. There's never a need to be unsavory, especially if the news itself is "hurtful" by nature. But wouldn't even non-Fe dominanted people see the common sense in that?

It's rare for people to really catch me off guard, though; I usually snap to attention as soon as someone walks into the room. I don't space out quite like that either. My Ni is the strongest whenever I'm doing something mindless, like, cleaning the house, running, or driving. Otherwise, I... I can't even describe my general experience with Ni. Hmm. Just auto-pilot, I guess.

Most definitely Ni, in that case.

Hah. Maybe I can fuse these two and schedule in some time to have myself caring about others more efficiently?

Yeah, but I think everyone at some point in their lives feels like there's nobody else out there that understands them. I guess I never quite experienced it to the extent that a number of my fellow INFJs describe.

Well, there's never been any doubt that you're not a 'typical' INFJ. However, it seems like maybe your Se is your tertiary function. It really seems like that's your 'inner child / play' function sometimes, moreso than Ti sometimes, but then I go through that too. I think I switch back and forth from Ni > Fe > Ti > Se to Fe > Ni > Se > Ti.

Well #11 would make me a bit of both. I decided I was INFJ because it seemed to make sense, but I couldn't seem to think I was an INFP because of the latter.

Still, I know I'm not an INFP. My fe outdoes my fi. My ni outdoes my ne, as well. It can kind of depend on mood, and I have low I and low J. I am also "me".

1. You would rather ponder the unknown than go out and be physically active if you were given the choice. (Ni > Se)

I approach physical activity in an entirely different way than some other types. I like activities such as jogging, bicycling, yoga, pilates, but never participate aggressively or in a team. In junior high volleyball, for instance, I fit in horribly with the other athletes, and was eventually labeled the 'quiet one' by my coach.

8. You care about a lot of people's feelings and well being, but are not very concerned with making sure they're being efficient. (Fe > Te)
I don't know that I can agree with these. Making waves is a very large part of my life. What is the purpose of life if not to make waves?

2. You would rather accommodate people's feelings than tell them a hurtful truth if you can help it. (Fe > Ti)
4. You care more about what goes on in your mind and imagination than socializing or being polite. (Ni > Fe)
5. You feel bad when you realize you weren't polite when you were lost in your imagination. (Ni > Fe)
6. You tend to classify people into groups more than stand up for everyone's rights as an individual. (Fe > Fi)
7. You're more concerned with the future than the past. (Ni > Si)
9. You just don't fit in, even with the other people who don't fit in with anyone but themselves. (Ni > Ne)
10. You're kinda clumsy, yet can pull off some amazing physical feats sometimes. (Se inferior)
1. Probably, but I also get bored just sitting around. I have to be moving for a good majority of the day, or else I get absolutely nothing done.
2. True for me.
3. It really depends on the person/situation. I like to make waves, and will do so in defense of my ideologies. Hell, sometimes I just make waves to make waves. A little mischief never hurt anyone (seriously).
4. Not true for me.
5. Yeah, pretty true for me. I try to be polite as much as possible.
6. Not really sure what to say about this one...I do a good deal of both, and don't really see them as opposites.
7. True
8. True
9. I tend to appear to fit in most anywhere I go. I'm pretty adaptable, and can socialize my way into situations. However, internally I often times feel very out of place even if other people don't see me as being out of place.
10. Not really clumsy, and my amazing physical feats often times amount to removing caps from jars.

I guess I'm not entirely sure of my type though. XNFJ fits me. My functions match up with ENFJ, my desired personality is usually ENFJ, but every MBTI test types me as an INFJ. To me, I'm not an introvert or an extrovert really. I feel that I'm a good mixture of both. I'm bad in large groups of unknown people unless I'm in the spotlight. I flurish with attention. I also love one-on-one situations with new people. I need alone time, but I also need time socializing. XNFJ is good enough for me.

Well, there's never been any doubt that you're not a 'typical' INFJ. However, it seems like maybe your Se is your tertiary function. It really seems like that's your 'inner child / play' function sometimes, moreso than Ti sometimes, but then I go through that too. I think I switch back and forth from Ni > Fe > Ti > Se to Fe > Ni > Se > Ti.

If my Se is my tertiary function sometimes, where would you hypothesize my Ti, Ni and Fe slotting in? Because while I can go through days without the slightest attention to my Fe, my Ni and Ti are ever constant.

I'm glad you agree that Laurie is awesome. :)

(Hehe, okay, I'll stop embarrassing her now.)
Bah, so mean XD
But I don't speak the Queen's English D:

Just had a thought:
Are INFJs more obsessive than lots of other types? I've found that I can be pretty obsessive about things that interest me (like university choices - how sad is that?). Just wondering if it was type-related?

11. You realized you were an INFJ because it explains what the hell is wrong with you, rather than deciding you're an INFJ because it is the rarest type, and you want to feel special. (INFJ > INFP)
Low blow. low, blow, man.

I also don't completely agree with these.
I definitely want people to be efficient and I will tell them so. I don't want to hurt their feelings, but sometimes these things need to be said.
And I will definitely make waves if it is about something that matters, and I will hurt people's feeling in the process. As much as I don't want to hurt people, sometimes speaking my mind about what is important is FAR more important than having people like me. (Example: If someone makes a joke about hurting an animal I will pretty much bitch them out, no matter if they are a friend or not)

Bah, so mean XD

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to lighten your spirits and help you see what an incredible lovely person you really are. I really do think you're awesome, and someday you will be a truly amazing treasure of a woman, and anyone would be blessed to have you as their true love. O:)

Just had a thought:
Are INFJs more obsessive than lots of other types? I've found that I can be pretty obsessive about things that interest me (like university choices - how sad is that?). Just wondering if it was type-related?

From what I have seen, we can be very obsessive. My friends sometimes call me a 'pit bull' once I lock on to something. It's difficult for me to drop a goal or curiosity that has gotten into my 'target zone'. I don't get like this with everything, just certain things, but I can feel it when something becomes an object of obsession. I'll have to think more about this phenomenon. For being so intense once activated in me, it's also kind of sporadic as to when it will activate.

Low blow. low, blow, man.

I'm sorry hun. I only meant that toward the INFPs here who still think they are INFJs.

Fi does want to feel special and unique. It's one of the primary descriptions. And you, ACD, are very unique, and very special. I think you're awesome!

*huggle ambush with machine gun kisses all over your head until you giggle*

I don't mind at all. Remember, we're also capable of crazy feats too. I'm always dropping stuff... and catching it, or catching what other people drop. But you're awesome enough that being married to someone as amazing as you would be worth a knife in the foot now and then. :)

Ok, I have never heard anyone say this. I do this too. I am always catching things I drop or others drop. It surprises them....and me sometimes too! Maybe I should try the "catch the fly with chopsticks" thing! ;)

Bah, so mean XD

Just had a thought:

From my experience, without a doubt. We don't corner the market, but it is a definate trait of ours! I can be uber-obsessive at times. I work to control it though.

Has anyone else ever tripped on their own feet?

I don't know how it happened.

Has anyone else ever tripped on their own feet?

I don't know how it happened.

LOL, yes! And I don't know how it happened either. And yet I have won martial arts tournaments. You have no idea how much flack my buddies give me when I klutz... like knock over a glass "Oh yeah, martial arts master..."

Funny thing though, I never fall down when I trip. Ever. Not even on ice, and I almost always catch glasses I tip, even other people's. It's the weirdest things.

Ok, I have never heard anyone say this. I do this too. I am always catching things I drop or others drop. It surprises them....and me sometimes too! Maybe I should try the "catch the fly with chopsticks" thing! ;)

A word of caution... You will likely not be able to do this if you are trying. I don't know what it is about us, but it seems like we have to be in like a zen state to do this stuff. Two examples:

A buddy of mine borrowed my keys to get something out of my car, and when he returned them, threw them across the room at the back of my head while I was in conversation (only because he knows I do stuff like the following...) and without missing a beat, I caught the keys without looking, a few inches before I would have been beaned in the back of the head. The person I was talking to flipped out and when we explained that I do stuff like that all the time asked us to do that again. When I was trying to catch them... I got beaned in the back of the head every time.

There are four sparring partners that I have who really challenge me, and I them. We best each other about half the time, give or take a few points here and there, and depending on the day. One day I was sparring and it ended up that I had to fight all four of them at once. Suddenly, I switched into this zen mode, because there was no way I could think my way through it. It was all just that instant thoughtless reaction stuff, and I schooled them. It wasn't even close. I knew exactly where everyone was, what they were doing, and had a clear sense of what they were going to do. I moved perfectly the way I needed to move, and this was some of the most intricate fighting I've ever done... no time to plan... just do. And then afterward, when fighting them one on one, they all schooled me because I was back to thinking about what I was doing, rather than being in that zenlike mode that just does it.

I really think this is how Ni + Se manifest themselves when Ni is dominant.

All but 2 and 8 apply to me strongly, and with those two I'm equal on both sides.
Posted via Mobile Device