How to tell if you're an INFJ | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How to tell if you're an INFJ

Thanks VH. That list is me, for sure. You're good at this, as I'm sure you already know.

Hooray, more evidence of my INFJness. The only one that is iffy for me is #2 because I am a strong believer in telling the truth... I'd much prefer not hurting them though, even if it is for their own good. Most of the time I think I wuss out following through anyway heh.

1. You would rather ponder the unknown than go out and be physically active if you were given the choice. (Ni > Se)

Sometimes I do both at the same time.

2. You would rather accommodate people's feelings than tell them a hurtful truth if you can help it. (Fe > Ti)

If there was no diplomatic way of telling the hurtful truth, then I would just say the hurtful truth.

3. You care more about getting along with others than making waves. (Fe > Ne)

Yup.

4. You care more about what goes on in your mind and imagination than socializing or being polite. (Ni > Fe)

Yes and no.

5. You feel bad when you realize you weren't polite when you were lost in your imagination. (Ni > Fe)

No, not really. I don't get lost in my head when I'm around people all that much.

6. You tend to classify people into groups more than stand up for everyone's rights as an individual. (Fe > Fi)

Yup.

7. You're more concerned with the future than the past. (Ni > Si)

Actually, that's a toughie. I straddle both equally.

8. You care about a lot of people's feelings and well being, but are not very concerned with making sure they're being efficient. (Fe > Te)

I am task-oriented, but I won't continue with it at the expense of someone's well-being (if they're just being inappropriately emotional about it, however, I'll ignore them...)

9. You just don't fit in, even with the other people who don't fit in with anyone but themselves. (Ni > Ne)

That's one thing I don't get about INFJs. What do you mean you "don't feel like you fit in"?

10. You're kinda clumsy, yet can pull off some amazing physical feats sometimes. (Se inferior)

LOL. Most definitely.

I do have strong Fi but I'm not a feeler, nor am I an INFP. INFPs and I don't mix that well. So, it appears I might be a NT of some sorts.

Maybe INTJ? Fi would be your tertiary, which might explain it being somewhat of a strength.

1. You would rather ponder the unknown than go out and be physically active if you were given the choice. (Ni > Se)
2. You would rather accommodate people's feelings than tell them a hurtful truth if you can help it. (Fe > Ti)
4. You care more about what goes on in your mind and imagination than socializing or being polite. (Ni > Fe)
5. You feel bad when you realize you weren't polite when you were lost in your imagination. (Ni > Fe)
6. You tend to classify people into groups more than stand up for everyone's rights as an individual. (Fe > Fi)
8. You care about a lot of people's feelings and well being, but are not very concerned with making sure they're being efficient. (Fe > Te)
9. You just don't fit in, even with the other people who don't fit in with anyone but themselves. (Ni > Ne)
10. You're kinda clumsy, yet can pull off some amazing physical feats sometimes. (Se inferior)

When you put it that way, I don't see how I could not be an INFJ. :)
Good list VH.

This should be fun...

Not necessarily. It depends on how I'm feeling on any given day.

Again, this depends on the circumstances. When I need someone to do something and do it efficiently, making sure their feelings don't get hurt isn't at the top of my list of priorities.

Sure, I suppose so. I'm not much of a wave-maker, although I certainly can be.

When I'm around people, 95% of the time it's because I want to be around people. It doesn't make a lot of sense to space out when I intended on socializing.

The other 5% of the time when I don't want to be around people but am forced to be, anyway, this usually doesn't bother me.

There are people who put themselves into groups, and there are individuals. I have little to nothing to do with how people classify themselves within societies constructs.

Absolutely.

This all depends on the situation. If I'm socializing, I'm not going to sit around and tell them how they could be more efficient.

I've pretty much always felt this way. More than one psychologist has said it's "my fault" (certainly paraphrased). I've been called "polite and social, but 'aloof'". I like what I like and I am how I am; I'm not going to change to be friends with anyone and I don't think I should have to. It just kind of sucks that everything I like happens to be the opposite of what everyone else is into.

I'm not that clumsy. I've got good hand-eye coordination, so I guess that's good.

I never liked being pidgeonholed into a label. I don't know if this is applicable to INFJs (or any MBTI type, for that matter), but I think it's kind of funny how everyone is so quick to say "OH YEAH THAT'S TOTALLY ME." This list is also totally subjective; no one is going to adhere to these "rules" 24/7.

Someone tell me my real MBTI type, quick!

11. You realized you were an INFJ because it explains what the hell is wrong with you, rather than deciding you're an INFJ because it is the rarest type, and you want to feel special. (INFJ > INFP)

Haha. That's why I thought I was an INFJ at first! x)

They all work for me, but I type as INFP - so this list needs some work if it is to be an INFJ identifier - to the exclusion of other MBTI types.

cheers,
Ian

Someday, I'm going to marry you, Laurie.

I'm just sayin. :)
Haha! As long as you're not concerned that I might drop a jug on your foot! (Yes, that happened, but thankfully it was to me D: ) Or a knife... (nearly took off my sister's toe. She was not amused.)

By QuestingPoet (as I am lame and cannot work out how to multi-quote) :
If there was no diplomatic way of telling the hurtful truth, then I would just say the hurtful truth.
There is always a way ;)

I agree with everything on the list, it applies to me. Also with feeling like I don't fit in... well, I still feel like I don't completely fit in with my few close friends, when I know that they completely accept me just as I am. A couple of the understand me almost completely, they are both ENFJ's.

By QuestingPoet (as I am lame and cannot work out how to multi-quote) :
There is always a way ;)

I think you meant me. And no, there isn't. Some people are going to be offended regardless of how diplomatic you're trying to be.

Haha! As long as you're not concerned that I might drop a jug on your foot! (Yes, that happened, but thankfully it was to me D: ) Or a knife... (nearly took off my sister's toe. She was not amused.)

I don't mind at all. Remember, we're also capable of crazy feats too. I'm always dropping stuff... and catching it, or catching what other people drop. But you're awesome enough that being married to someone as amazing as you would be worth a knife in the foot now and then. :)

I think you meant me. And no, there isn't. Some people are going to be offended regardless of how diplomatic you're trying to be.
D: I can't even get names right.... Sorry!!! I'm really tired (going through an insomniatic stage).
True, but you can always be the definition of diplomatic, even if it does cause offense (at least, I think that, but obviously I could be wrong).

Von Hase (I checked this time =.=) :
I don't mind at all. Remember, we're also capable of crazy feats too. I'm always dropping stuff... and catching it, or catching what other people drop. But you're awesome enough that being married to someone as amazing as you would be worth a knife in the foot now and then. :)
Aw thanks ^^" But I'm an average Joe, so not amazing ^^" and there are a billion amazing people on this forum (including you), sooo.
Isn't it bad when you spend about 6 minutes trying to phrase a post and it never ends up sounding right? =.=

Sometimes I do both at the same time.

But if you had to choose one or the other? Whenever I do physical activity, it's also an opportunity to let my mind wander. In other words, I'm almost always doing Ni, whether or not I'm doing Se.

But if there was a way, you'd use it?

Yes and no.

No, not really. I don't get lost in my head when I'm around people all that much.

But you do? I was more referencing those moments when we are already lost in our heads, and people come by and try to interact with us. It usually takes me a moment to shift gears.

Actually, that's a toughie. I straddle both equally.

Ni uses the patterns of the past to predict the future. I suppose this really boils down to where your focus lies... on what was or what will be.

I am task-oriented, but I won't continue with it at the expense of someone's well-being (if they're just being inappropriately emotional about it, however, I'll ignore them...)

You have a very strong Te though, so this one will be a toss up for you for sure.

That's one thing I don't get about INFJs. What do you mean you "don't feel like you fit in"?

Ni dominant people complain about this a lot. Eventually in life we realize that no one else thinks like us. Some of us realize it earlier than others. I've noticed that INFJs tend to be more sociable yet in their own idealistic fantasy worlds, while INTJs tend to be more disconnected yet paying more attention to the 'real' world.

LOL. Most definitely.

Spot on as usual Von Hase. :m059:

Reactions: Ria

1. Yes
2. Yes, most of the time
3. To a large extent yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Not at all !!!!!! The inverse- respecting people's rights as an individual- is monumentally more important to me
7. Yes, both are important but the future seems more important to me
8. Yes
9. Yes
10. I suppose

Last edited:
Ni dominant people complain about this a lot. Eventually in life we realize that no one else thinks like us. Some of us realize it earlier than others. I've noticed that INFJs tend to be more sociable yet in their own idealistic fantasy worlds, while INTJs tend to be more disconnected yet paying more attention to the 'real' world.

to answer the 2nd post :
I am usually friendly and I really enjoy helping others, but a lot of times I find myself lost in thought, imagining my idealistic ideals and creating my Utopian society in my head that I forget about the people around me.

Last edited: