How Fast Do You Read? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How Fast Do You Read?

789 words and 100% comprehension. I always knew I was somewhat fast reader. Nevertheless I'm positively surprised. Though I don't usually read books with such haste: I like to let the words sink in, to feel their rythm and all that. I wonder if it makes much of a difference in a test like this that english isn't my native language.

I would think that it makes some sort of difference Morpheus. Reading your post however I wouldn't have guessed that English isn't your native language.

Only finding enjoyment the second or third time may be a bit too final. It feels that way most of the time because the second trip everything does jump out at me so much more vividly.

We may need to use your experience to promote reading with video games. :)

I know I started reading young, I think I mentioned 5 being the age I learned to read in another thread but recollecting I can't say for sure...everything earlier than my teenage years is a blur aside from blips in my memory. I can remember chapter work as you describe, finishing very quickly then going to sleep or reading a novel to get out of the classroom for awhile.

I remember the first time I got in trouble for supposedly not doing my work in third grade. The teacher was reading the chapter and she was going so slow I thought I was about to go out of my mind, we were supposed to be following along. I finished the chapter very quickly then began reading about Custer and the battle of Little Bighorn in a book I had checked out from the library. The teacher saw what I was doing and scolded me, told me to follow along as she instructed. I tried for a little while, became bored rather quickly and started reading about Custer again. Ended up having to copy the chapter five times while everyone else was out at recess...that woman was a real bitch. Fourth grade was better, didn't have a teacher that would read the chapter slowly in a monotone voice and she let her students work at their own speed. When I got finished with my chapter work she had me help a student that I guess was learning disabled in some way. He had alot of trouble reading and I can remember going over the different chapters with him to help him get a better understanding of the content.

Ah, I see. I also did help other students with reading, I even read to a first grade class in fifth grade I believe. I tend to read slower if I know the book is all about imagery and such, somehow I've gotten ability to read and remember but I don't typically visualize the situation all that much. Even when I do, I only get little snippets. The only time I've ever read something and noticed myself imagining a situation and, conversely, not paying attention to a book was a little short story I bought when i went to Florida. I need to work on that, I feel like I'm missing out. Also need to be affected more emotionally by books, I get the tone and what a person is feeling but sometimes it really doesn't phase. Romeo and Juliet would be an example of a book that made me feel nothing but loathing for the main characters, haha.

Anyways, I support games in every facet. They teach you how to read, how to be persistent, and how to learn skills and use them to your up-most capabilities.

I would think that it makes some sort of difference Morpheus. Reading your post however I wouldn't have guessed that English isn't your native language.

Yes, well. I do consider myself quite able to express my thoughts in this language, which is appropriate considering how much I use it. Still, when writing or speaking English, I need to search for words significantly more than usually. I would think that a stiffer vocabulary reflects, to some extent, to reading aswell.

323 wpm with 100% accuracy.

Sometimes I wonder if I have some sort of reading impairment in the sense that my mind skips words that I'm reading, and I read rather slow. I have a hard time focusing on words, and I have to reread passages to understand them. I'm pretty sure I inferred the answers to this test rather than actually comprehending them while reading. Spelling was also a huge problem for me when I was younger. Actually, it still is. I also have a hard time reading out loud. I have a tendency to skip words.

Last edited:
323 wpm with 100% accuracy.

Sometimes I wonder if I have some sort of reading impairment in the sense that my mind skips words that I'm reading, and I read rather slow. I have a hard time focusing on words, and I have to reread passages to understand them. I'm pretty sure I inferred the answers to this test rather than actually comprehending them while reading. Spelling was also a huge problem for me when I was younger. Actually, it still is. I also have a hard time reading out loud. I have a tendency to skip words.

I do the same really, almost exactly. When I read I sort of read in really big chunks, like entire sentances. Instead of each individual word, so my notice of things isn't so clear. Yet I usually retain everything. Sometimes I retain incorrectly though, because I won't notice the details, or in my mind I will create what I want to hear. An example (many of which you probablly see day by day), would be when I fully believed that the mediation section of the forums was actually "meditation". I always wondered why it was called that, ahaha. Like you I inferred alot of the answers, but that is also sort of hard to do without understanding what you read.

I can read five thousand words per minute at 200% brain capacity while ripping phone books in half with my bare hands.

Reactions: hush and Nucky
wow that's pathetic. i thought it'd be better than this. of course i'm having a bit of trouble concentrating ATM.
Comprehension Results: 100% accuracy

I can read five thousand words per minute at 200% brain capacity while ripping phone books in half with my bare hands.

Might have to make an anonymous call to Area 51 and see if they are missing anything important.

Reactions: rawr
English is my 4th..I guess I been so long here that perhaps I read English better than my other languages? strange..

I would like one in Italian, Spanish and French.

http://www.readingsoft.com/

I can read 897 words per minute with 91% comprehension. I'm a bit sleepy, but I doubt I read faster than this. (A year or so ago, the first time I took a test that tested how fast I read, I was somewhere around 600 words per minute)

I got 621. Didn't bother with the test because I've already taken it and I remember the answers. 621 seems more accurate than 897. Course, I'm sleepy now.

Oh

And...

*bump*

250 wpm, 91% comprehension.

I would have read faster if it weren't for all the numbers and visualization cues. Those slow my reading speed down tremendously.

I was always considered a fast reader. Strange.

Last edited:
300 wpm, 90%

Slow and steady wins the race...... eventually ..... sometimes .... maybe

385 wpm, 82% comprehension

1110 wpm at 100% comprehension.

I wonder how much comprehension suffers as the reading material becomes longer. I know that when I read full-length novels, my comprehension is good for quizzes and whatnot, but I'd need to reference the book a few times to write a stand-alone essay...