"he/she's so hot!" | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

"he/she's so hot!"

Within a gaggle of friends--we will say "I'll take him on layaway"

Reactions: Ria
"I like her."

It's straight to the point and I prefer not to fuck around with vague terms and/or euphemisms.

this may be off topic, but i've noticed previously that you seem to believe language can ever be anything but vague or slippery or confusing. "like" is entirely both vague and euphemistic, just as if you said "she's nice". you're not outperforming anyone who attempts more fluid ways of describing their actually fluid experiences in this dedication to an ideal of absolute fixed precision. the idea that we can get at reality with language is an illusion - we're dealing with a system of reference that is not actually embedded in the fabric of reality, but is an invention we use to try and describe it. there will always be misunderstandings involved. this inescapable feature of language doesn't have to be a shortcoming, it can be delightful, as in punning.

*With a girlfriend*

"He's such a babe! Like Damn!"

this may be off topic, but i've noticed previously that you seem to believe language can ever be anything but vague or slippery or confusing.

It's more of a general personal preference than an overarching belief about how language ought to be used. I mean, if other people want to be relaxed about it - even to the point of being vague and/or poetic - I am fine with that unless clarity is essential to understanding such as when collaborating on a technical project.

"like" is entirely both vague and euphemistic, just as if you said "she's nice".

How is "like" euphemistic? For that matter, how is "nice" euphemistic?

you're not outperforming anyone who attempts more fluid ways of describing their actually fluid experiences in this dedication to an ideal of absolute fixed precision.

"Dedication to an ideal of absolute fixed precision" isn't how I'd describe my preference for clarity, Invisible. If I was that obsessed, I'd blab about norepinephrine and dopamine being secreted in my brain or some high flown nerd talk like that. But as it is, "like" is clear enough that anyone within earshot will make the right inference(s). On the other hand, "dayumm, girl!" (just as an example) isn't clear. Not so much in the sense that people might misinterpret me as lacking attraction, but that they might misinterpret me as being a fucking idiot who has no self control.

So - I'm not a language facist, I just like to minimize misinterpretations. In this particular instance, it's served me pretty well. I don't go up to girls and beat around the bush; they know where they stand with me always. You'd be surprised at how attractive many of them will find that sort of directness.

the idea that we can get at reality with language is an illusion - we're dealing with a system of reference that is not actually embedded in the fabric of reality, but is an invention we use to try and describe it. there will always be misunderstandings involved. this inescapable feature of language doesn't have to be a shortcoming, it can be delightful, as in punning.

I agree; language is the map, not the territory itself. And I have a lot of fun with double entendres and word play - just not all the time. Especially not when I want my intentions and/or meanings to be clear.

I usually lose the ability to think and talk. So yea :suspicious:

Reactions: Jana
So, what's your favorite term of admiration/adoration for someone you like or find attractive?

If we're talking about only physical admiration:
"Hmm, yum" and then I enjoy the show, with no intention to make a serious move.

If I am really interested in the person, I turn quiet and shy, which defeats the intention..

Yeah, I generally just say that I like someone or that I'm interested in someone.

In person you can probably tell because I'll get really quiet and shy around them, and gradually move into my playful self. If I'm confident right off the bat, I'm probably not super interested. Something about having to build confidence...I guess I like it? I don't know.

Er, I guess I don't have a blanket statement that I use when I find someone attractive, but I'll usually make it known in a number of fairly overt ways. Basically if you find me staring at you for hours with a far away look in my eyes and an out of place smile on my face, you can assume the affirmative ;)

Reactions: Ria
you're the 1 .... i think i'm biting the doors' movie. i woulda said it like that any way

I usually lose the ability to think and talk. So yea :suspicious:

That explains the long pauses when we talk.ROFL *ducks*

As for me

its one of the following in my head or not directly.

Hawt

Damn

Do want

Son of a B%tch

mumbles that make no sense.

Actually, now that I think of it, my brain doesn't scramble unless and until they say somthing incredibly witty...

ironic.

*friend nudges me*
"Guy with the (identifying feature)" says she
"Reasonably attractive" says I
"That it?" says she
"I wouldn't know" says I
-------------------
"(somthing incredibly witty)" says he
"(pointed question)" says I *looks up*
inward thought (damnit he's attractive... must... keep... composure...... wait I could have said somthing cooler than (what was said earlier)... shoot.... quick! be clever!... er)

Last edited:
You know what is problem with expressions of hotness?
Sometimes it has trivial meanings. Because, emotions that is provoked by someone's look can be different from case to case...
For example, you see someone and it is about somebody very attractive. If I say that outloud with expressions such as: hot, attractice, etc. -well it is just not that. Because, i am not talking so much about other person, but more about my reaction. And that we come to some banal and stereotypes thing...I can say only something like: my hearts beats faster, my mouth gone dry, I can't stop looking at you, I am all dazzled, almost as if i am drunk...
What I want to say is that sometimes words can+t cover everything...without talker being banal and using stereotyped expressions...
Hm, I hope that somebody understands my confused langugae. The problem oo that of needing words is more familiar to that people who try to communicate on abstract things in not first language...

Rawr! That's dinosaur for "I can has?"

rawr rawr snort RUFF! EEEAAHHHHH!!

i speak dinosaur as well.

I just go like "Mhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

O r I don't say anything.

Yeah, I generally just say that I like someone or that I'm interested in someone.

In person you can probably tell because I'll get really quiet and shy around them, and gradually move into my playful self. If I'm confident right off the bat, I'm probably not super interested. Something about having to build confidence...I guess I like it? I don't know.

me too.

oh i just ddouble posted... ho hum

"Excuse me, sir... I'd like to jump you."
Except, not really. I just oogle like an awkward, passive creeper.