have any of you been drawn to the monastic way of life? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

have any of you been drawn to the monastic way of life?

The devout medieval monk down in his damp, dark room made of stone...working night and day to complete his masterwork inscription...is an image that appeals to me greatly. If I was given the chance to devote myself to a study or piece of work in such a complete way, I would actually give it a try.

Unfortunately that way of life costs money in today's society. It's not supported...and if you want to devote your life to a study, you must enter college (money). Then you must take a job because of the money costs (which ruins the devotion part) with keeping yourself alive/paying off those debts you now have.

Reactions: bamf
My life refuses me the ability to live away from the world.

I spent most of my growing up years in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. Those years were spent living out in the country, with land, horses etc and no bus service or cable TV.

The land belonged to the First Nations people and I felt a lot of magical energy in the air around me all the time. There was a huge feeling of spirituality in that place. It was perfect for me to spend time alone there when I was young...

I remember a girl in my class once who's family were very strong Christians. I slept over at her house one saturday night and went to their Church with them the next morning. There I was told that it would be a very good idea if I came up and asked Jesus to enter my soul because if I didn't, then I was going to go to Hell. I remember being extremely uncomfortable and I felt as though something about that experience felt very violating, threatening and well... just very, very wrong. I did it anyway because I was young and scared and I felt trapped. Forced. I don't know if I could to this day, accept the Christian faith in all it's entirety and with all it's rules to be something that I could honestly adopt for myself. It semed as though the fear of this "loving God" was stronger than the "love" of Him.

I went home and went outside again for a hike up the mountain side to my usual place. I felt so much peace there and true, honest Love and connection to the energy around me, that I knew what had happened that morning was faulse. The next day I saw my friend at school and told her that I didn't want to give up talking to the wolves, the trees and the stars. She freaked out and told me that the Devil was trying to hold on to me and prevent me from accepting God, and that I would go to Hell for honoring those other forms of spirituality. I resented this but said nothing. This was one of my earliest memories of forming a lifelong judgement on a conviction where no one was ever going to make me bend when I felt otherwise.

I have spent time with Native people and I have experienced Sweat Lodges. I have attended Pow Wows and I felt peace, honor and so much respect that I remember weeping foolishly amoung them, hoping they would not notice. One of the Elders told me that I was an Enlightened one, and that life was a difficut journey for people like me.

I began to practice my intuition then. I would sit outside at the bottom propperty overlooking the highgway and the North Thompson river and listen for traffic. I would do this to use my intuition to hone in on vehicles before I could see them, and I would get a 'feeling' about the color of the vehicle. I began to get better as I learned to truly relax and just trust my 6th sense. As usual, I never told anyone this ever (actually, this is the first time I have shared this), because most people out there would think I was even wierder than they already did.

So, I guess being at peace outdoors, even at night is something that comes natural to me. I have an intuitive sense that one day, I will live out on the land somewhere and just be connected to nature and the energies aound me. I hope to live near First nations people again too.
Amazing! I'd rep you if I could.

I'm glad that you found the actual love of "god", what ever god may be.

This is an interesting question. This is something that I have wondered about. Perhaps I should just go into a religious life. But as I think about this I think that there are times that I wanted to go into a religious life because life is hard and I wanted to escape. What I have found is that I cant let the outside world defeat me into wanting to escape it. I belong to a lay Buddhist organization everyone has a Buddha nature. Everyone has that Buddhahood in them. It is important for me to keep challenging myself to overcome my own fundamental darkness so that I am more able to handle other peoples and have compassion for them. When people act horribly it is because of their own fundamental darkness which is defeating them. I have to keep looking at myself and seeking an unshakable state of life where I am not in battered about by someone elses poor behavior.

All the time. Life of spirituality is all about sacrifice. I am not ready for it or will i ever be ready for it? I don't know:m125:

just wondering

I can quit everything else, except women. Thats the one thing I can never give up. Call me selfish if you want. But no monastic way of life for me, because of that.

Many times. And I often get the monk in RPGs (if that's of any relevance). I think I'd make a good monk, if I lived a couple of centuries ago. For now in real life I get to be a monk in the temple of science. :p The major problem for me to really become a monk now is the lack of belief in traditional religion. I can appreciate some of its social applications, as... as a state of human spirit; the devotion to it. But you can have the same devotion to something else, that you are more inclined to believe in.

I used to want to be a lifelong virgin. The idea of living in seclusion with a spiritual aim still appeals to me. However, living in a monastery isn't really the ideal for me, because it's too much about rules and structures -- I would want to be free to explore my own spirituality and connection with God. But some of the aspects appeal to me.

Once I can set up things so that I can walk away without abandoning my duties, I want to go to a Carthusian Monastery.

I used to want to be a lifelong virgin. The idea of living in seclusion with a spiritual aim still appeals to me. However, living in a monastery isn't really the ideal for me, because it's too much about rules and structures -- I would want to be free to explore my own spirituality and connection with God. But some of the aspects appeal to me.

The rules, from what I have read, are about keeping the monks/monastery distinct and separate from mundane things. eg. silence, keeping eyes down, no electronic media, etc.

The rules, from what I have read, are about keeping the monks/monastery distinct and separate from mundane things. eg. silence, keeping eyes down, no electronic media, etc.

Yeah, that's a little too strict for me. I like silence, but I believe that sound is important as well -- for me, it's about a balance between the "mundane" and the significant things in life, in a way that is most fulfilling.

I always wanted to be a priestess, living in a deep beautifull forest in a deep contact with the goddess/nature/spirit/tao ... spending my time with healing people, doing rituals to fertilies the land and to keep the balance. With wisdom, compassion and love flowing out of my eyes...

where can I find that in our everyday live? And would I have to pay taxes :becky:?

keep on dreaming ... :D

Reactions: Moxie