Four Temperaments: Catalyst, Theorist, Stabilizer, and Improviser | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Four Temperaments: Catalyst, Theorist, Stabilizer, and Improviser

Yea but really underdeveloped NF types are dreamy flakes.

Yea but really underdeveloped NF types are dreamy flakes.

Each temperament sometimes have not so wonderful traits when underdeveloped.

Last edited:
I find that it's always easier to think of the negative than the positive, so i appreciate that the temperaments allow us to see the positives or potential in each.

Last edited:
I tend to revel in my flaws, and for some reason am much happier when I label myself with something that is not inherently "good all around". Which is probably why I don't put too much emphasis on temperament theories like this.

That said, I really dislike it when one is generally considered as superior, and people flock to it. For example, the fact that most people into MBTI consider S-type to be negative, even sometimes to be an 'insult'. Is one superior to another? No, of course not, but people frame it that way. So, I suppose when I think of that, I am pleased with the positive spin of temperament.

Hmm, I'm not blind to my flaws but I don't like reveling in them. They make me cringe and roll my eyes at myself. But then, that could be a J-thing, and being hypercritical of oneself, too.

But you're 100% right about the MBTI being equal, all things considered. Sometimes it's difficult to comprehend that no type is better than another, so they end up trying to be a type they aren't because there's "no way" they'd want to be "that" type.

I tend to revel in my flaws, and for some reason am much happier when I label myself with something that is not inherently "good all around". Which is probably why I don't put too much emphasis on temperament theories like this.

That said, I really dislike it when one is generally considered as superior, and people flock to it. For example, the fact that most people into MBTI consider S-type to be negative, even sometimes to be an 'insult'. Is one superior to another? No, of course not, but people frame it that way. So, I suppose when I think of that, I am pleased with the positive spin of temperament.

Oh, just so I don't seem one-sided, I'd have to add that there are flaws in my character that I do cringe about, but that's usually because they are contradictory with other, deeper qualities. Or, even more typically, because someone misinterpreted why I did something. (I'm "not being assertive" instead of what is true, that I am in self-doubt.)

But also... *continues rambling on in a state of self-absorbtion*

Interesting read anita. I am NF for certain, though the NT has appeal to me also. I have lived in NT mode in years past.

I definitely see myself in the NT category more so than the others.

I relate to NT and NF both quite a bit.

NT fits more when I am on top of my game.

NF is more of a shadow or develops when I am in a slump.

I am also exercising my Fe a lot.

I have seen these labels before. But even without those names, this is the most popular approach to describing NT, NF, SJ, SP. By now I think this is superficial way of looking at the types. Like assuming that all ISTPs are good at fixing things, and all ISFPs are good at playing music. It's not true. Some SPs are professors, write serious literature etc. Some NTs are sensationalists to the core, and die from overdose. Don't trust the labels, in particular don't trust the names of the types - like Champion, Mastermind, Healer etc. Not all INTJs are "masterminds", and most real world masterminds are not INTJs. Our understanding of the cognitive functions and how they are applied in life is still very primitive.

Reactions: NeverAmI
I have seen these labels before. But even without those names, this is the most popular approach to describing NT, NF, SJ, SP. By now I think this is superficial way of looking at the types. Like assuming that all ISTPs are good at fixing things, and all ISFPs are good at playing music. It's not true. Some SPs are professors, write serious literature etc. Some NTs are sensationalists to the core, and die from overdose. Don't trust the labels, in particular don't trust the names of the types - like Champion, Mastermind, Healer etc. Not all INTJs are "masterminds", and most real world masterminds are not INTJs. Our understanding of the cognitive functions and how they are applied in life is still very primitive.

I think we're conscious that they're generalizations but i think there's some element in each description that we can identify with. I don't treat them as absolutes, just as elements in varying degrees which exist in our personalities.

Last edited:

Have you read this? Look down at the bottom. It's true that I desire meaning, I also want to have an impact, and I want to fit in (to some extent), but I am most interested in the relationships between things, so I naturally gravitate to the Theorist temperament.

Have you read this? Look down at the bottom. It's true that I desire meaning, I also want to have an impact, and I want to fit in (to some extent), but I am most interested in the relationships between things, so I naturally gravitate to the Theorist temperament.
I'm also most interested in the relationships between things and concepts (in most abstract sense, even in algebraic sense), but this could have no correlation with NF/NT, or even N. For example, some SFP people I know are also very good at this.

I don't see much value in temperament. What it really breaks down to is the preferences for each of the 8 functions. SP and SJ are useful in that they indicate a strong Se or Si, but NT and NF are less meaningful as they don't point to any particular function. NJ, NP, FP, TP, TJ and FJ seem to be just as valid as SP and SJ, and ST and SF seem just as valid as NT and NF.

Something between a Catalyst and a Theorizer. I'm less people-oriented in my life than that description, and not particularly "enthusiastic". Although I have no doubt I am an NF and an INFP.

I really am a strange bridge between NF (catalyst) and SJ(stabalizer). I think NF wins out by a wee bit more because I align more strongly with the green statements, Both of these describe me very well, and they both have their points where they don't describe me well. As example red is not me, green is definintely me, and the rest is so so or no comment needed:

------------------

People of the Stabilizer™ Temperament . . .

Want to fit in, to have membership. Hunger for responsibility, accountability, and predictability. Tend to be generous, to serve, and to do their duty. Establish and maintain institutions and standard operating procedures. Tend to protect and preserve, to stand guard and warn. Look to the past and tradition. Foster enculturation with ceremonies and rules. Trust contracts and authority. Want security and stability. Think in terms of what is conventional, comparisons, associations, and discrete elements. Generally are serious, concerned, and fatalistic. Usually are skilled at ensuring that things, information, and people are in the right place, in the right amounts, in the right quality, at the right time. Frequently gravitate toward business and commerce.

Needs and Values
The core needs are for group membership and responsibility. They need to know they are doing the responsible thing. They value stability, security, and a sense of community. They trust hierarchy and authority and may be surprised when others go against these social structures. People of this temperament prefer cooperative actions with a focus on standards and norms. Their orientation is to their past experiences, and they like things sequenced and structured. They tend to look for the practical applications of what they are learning.

Talents
They are usually talented at logistics and at maintaining useful traditions. They masterfully get the right things in the right place, at the right time, in the right quantity, in the right quality, to the right people, and not to the wrong people. They know how things have always been done, so they anticipate where things can go wrong. They have a knack for attending to rules, procedures, and protocol. They make sure the correct information is assembled and presented to the right people.

-----------

People of the Catalyst™ Temperament . . .
Want to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic. Search for identity, meaning, and significance. Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships. Tend to be idealistic and visionary, wanting to make the world a better place. Look to the future. Trust their intuition, imagination, and impressions. Focus on developing potential, fostering and facilitating growth through coaching, teaching, counseling, and communicating. Generally are enthusiastic. Think in terms of integration and similarities and look for universals. Often are gifted in the use of metaphors to bridge different perspectives. Usually are diplomatic. Frequently are drawn to work that inspires and develops people and relationships.

Needs and Values
The core needs are for the meaning and significance that come from having a sense of purpose and working toward some greater good. They need to have a sense of unique identity. They value unity, self-actualization, and authenticity. People of this temperament prefer cooperative interactions with a focus on ethics and morality. They tend to trust their intuition and impressions first and then seek to find the logic and the data to support them. Given their need for empathic relationships, they learn more easily when they can relate to the instructor and the group.

Talents
They tend to be gifted at unifying diverse peoples and helping individuals realize their potential. They build bridges between people through empathy and clarification of deeper issues. They use these same skills to help people work through difficulties. Thus, they can make excellent mediators, helping people and companies solve conflicts through mutual cooperation. If working on a global level, they champion a cause. If working on an individual level, they focus on growth and development of the person.

I relate to all of them.