Does everyone have an internal dialogue? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Does everyone have an internal dialogue?

YES!!!! I wish I had an internal tape recorder as my internal companion says some of the most interesting things I can never remember... Maybe because after much deliberating, I think I settle the score with myself more often than not, so when the conversation is over... it's over.

I can definitely relate to that, sometimes later on I will think "what was it I thinking about, it was really insightful" but then it's just gone. Oh well.

There are some extra-extraverts out there that I wish had a stronger internal dialogue *huff*

It's absurd because I'm mute yet giving myself a headache most of the time, conspiring that no one wants to talk to me!
:lock1:

I've never been the one to do most of the talking in real life conversations so the internal dialogue compensates. The more I am divorced from reality, the less lonely I delude myself into being. Being my own best friend both escapes and reinforces social anxiety.

If I'm talking out loud to myself that'd be a monologue, which takes quite a bit of effort. Sometimes I practice when I'm alone. :) I'm thinking of making youtubes to practice but I can't be bothered...

MAEKS YOUTUBES!

we could even have an INFJs youtubes channel :D or group, whatever...

Imagine if your internal dialogue just stopped and you couldn't think anything through without engaging with another person, to get the necessary feed back to work out problems and thoughts.

Is that what extraverts feel like?

Omg! I can't even lead myself to imagine how horrible that would be! I love internal dialogue some of my most intellectual conversations are with myself. I actually sometimes continue conversations in my head with people I've had. Saying things and imagining how they react.

And sadly I do sometimes have my conversations out loud. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
I always have an internal dialog going. When I was a kid my mom used to say that I just think to much. As a kid I never really knew how to shut it off, and still don't. The only difference now is I am just better able to not pay attention to it if I don't want to. I just see it as a version of me inside my head that is here observing and commenting on everything I experience and perceive. Sometime when I don't like what is going on in the external environment I turn inwards and that inner voice will usually entertain me. Sometimes I feel like I have more control over my inner dialogue while at times I feel like it is running out of control. Most of the time when I feel like it is out of control is while I a laying down to go to sleep. I don't have to pay attention to the dialog but it is always there. I think a lot of the knowledge that I know intuitively comes from that inner dialog doing it's thing regardless of if I am paying attention to it or not. I guess it just sort of works its way in to my subconscious.

Internal dialogue out of control or on a high speed setting is awful! It's like opening the door to my inner self and finding out there's a party going on and half the people are not invited! It can be difficult at times to get a handle on it and clear out the riff raff.

Do you ever wonder if all this internal overactiveness is a sign of ADHD? I got in trouble a few times as a kid b/c I couldn't hold still. Now I can hold still, but my brain won't stop. Makes me very forgetful and distracted b/c I can't keep hold of one single thought-they are like butterflies. They taunt me, but I can never catch them . . . and there are so many . . .

I like your over active imagination, it brightens the forum.

No, I certainly don't have ADHD.

I don't have any attention disorders.

LOL!! thanks, SH!! I'm glad to enlighten! Wait, enbrighten? hmmmm . . .
Look at the shinies! So pretty . . . .

Do you ever wonder if all this internal overactiveness is a sign of ADHD? I got in trouble a few times as a kid b/c I couldn't hold still. Now I can hold still, but my brain won't stop. Makes me very forgetful and distracted b/c I can't keep hold of one single thought-they are like butterflies. They taunt me, but I can never catch them . . . and there are so many . . .

Kwist, I was thinking about this earlier this week. As I read the signs of this disorder I got a bit worried thinking how similar so much of it sounds. If I went to the doctor and told him about daydreaming, inspirations, the rare premonition, zoning out, thoughts like butterflies! etc. surely he would diagnose us with something! LOL I don't know if I'd want a 'cure' though.

Kwist, I was thinking about this earlier this week. As I read the signs of this disorder I got a bit worried thinking how similar so much of it sounds. If I went to the doctor and told him about daydreaming, inspirations, the rare premonition, zoning out, thoughts like butterflies! etc. surely he would diagnose us with something! LOL I don't know if I'd want a 'cure' though.

The cure sucks. I'm on anti-depressents that I don't need and adhd pills which is total BS.

The cure sucks. I'm on anti-depressents that I don't need and adhd pills which is total BS.

Get off, get off now!!! Seriously, withdrawal could be the worst of it for you (it almost always is). How long have you been on lithium?

Get off, get off now!!! Seriously, withdrawal could be the worst of it for you (it almost always is). How long have you been on lithium?

No lithium I like never take them anyway. Don't feel human all my emotions seem to disapear.

I always took that as a serious red flag not to take those pills. It seems that they're taking away a part of you that's supposed to be there.

Sacrificing a part of yourself for whatever reason it may be, one of the most important parts.