Do you worry you're insane? | INFJ Forum

Do you worry you're insane?

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
A number of my friends who're INFJ, myself included, worried on a fairly regular basis that we were insane. I mean, I know people often question their own mental health but Infj's tend to see the universe in a very...unique...way.

I want to know if this is common? Do you all worry for your sanity in a more literal sense? Particularly do you worry that during your explorations of the deeper recesses of human experience that you will go mad?

Reactions: Jexocuha and Gaze
I've been called crazy a few times... I'm quite alright with it. A healthy level of insanity is necessary for anyone. Furthermore; most crazy people are the happiest around. So long as you aren't in a straight jacket, being crazy isn't so bad. INFJ brains work so differently we may as well be insane, and we love it.

"Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music." -Tao Te Ching

Reactions: Jexocuha
I have fears about going insane, but I hardly think it's an INFJ thing. I'm pretty sure my fears are due to experiences on substances that led me to question the validity of reality, and sometimes my train of thought slips back to those tracks.

I actually woke up this morning completely out of it, feeling completely disconnected from reality, without a clue where I was, or who I was.

I do fear going insane, but I think it's because "sanity" and "reality" are the only things I've ever been used to. Anything different seems terrifying because it is so unknown.

A number of my friends who're INFJ, myself included, worried on a fairly regular basis that we were insane. I mean, I know people often question their own mental health but Infj's tend to see the universe in a very...unique...way.

I want to know if this is common? Do you all worry for your sanity in a more literal sense? Particularly do you worry that during your explorations of the deeper recesses of human experience that you will go mad?

I don't really give a hoot if im insane or not, and I don't really care if other people think I'm insane. And if they do, I take it as a complement.
Without insane people you wouldn't have the technology and information that we have today.
I mean look at people like Albert einstein, Isaac newton, Leonardo da vinci and Jesus (thats a few to name) To the average person these people were insane but the impact that these people had on society was incredible.

im insane ! oh god chessie you nailed it, though im not infj. ah.. the confirmation i've been looking for all my life *rolls around in mud*

uh.. if i'm insane i dont want to be sane. more fun being weird :p

i do think though that too much self analysis will drive you mad, and it's probably not just an infj thing but a person-obsessed-with-self-awareness thing that would apply to everyone who's signed up to these forums. there seems to be a trend between self analysis and depression/anxiety, though that could be a coincidence, or the latter could've brought about the former and not vice versa.

No, quite sane here. The ability to make connections out there may look odd to some, but it can be very grounding. In fact, judging from what I see around me, if anyone has a crazy streak, it's them!!

im insane ! oh god chessie you nailed it, though im not infj. ah.. the confirmation i've been looking for all my life *rolls around in mud*

uh.. if i'm insane i dont want to be sane. more fun being weird :p

i do think though that too much self analysis will drive you mad, and it's probably not just an infj thing but a person-obsessed-with-self-awareness thing that would apply to everyone who's signed up to these forums. there seems to be a trend between self analysis and depression/anxiety, though that could be a coincidence, or the latter could've brought about the former and not vice versa.

Agree. One of the things I'm realizing is that too much self analysis can lead to more self consciousness, which can cause anxiety, and possibly depression. So, everything in moderation.

I think that certain aspects of my personality, if unchecked, can be a little overwhelming to others, and I often wonder if some (well, many) of my expectations are truly unattainable, but I don't feel that it makes me insane. I just think I look at things very, very differently than do most people I know. I'm just trying to learn how to make all of that mesh with the people who are around me. I figure, what else is there to be done?

I've grown used to thinking insane. I kinda like it in fact.

Sometimes I think I'm too sane!

I have those moments.. where I just feel totally disconnected from reality. I have snap hallucinations that scare me and jolt me back... For example, the other day driving I looked over and noticed a large cloud shadow on some hills in the distance and thought I saw it explode into a flock of black birds..

I've also been driving at night and looked out my rearview mirror to see the silver backs of street signs--and literally believed them to be "sky windows" in which I had to convince myself it was impossible. I actually had to reason through it to find that they were indeed, only the back of street signs.

I get visually confused and see things like that and I have to convince myself momentarily what they could in reality be. It's very scary and I hope I make it out of my 20's schizophrenia free.. because I hear it strikes in the 20s. (But all of this, I'm sure, has nothing to do with the mbti.)

If I also really contemplate the way we live and make a living here and all that goes into making us human... I make myself so miserable with the disagreement of reality that I have to stop thinking about it or else I'm afraid I'll think myself into a deep depression.

Last edited:
INFJs do seem to worry about that. :) And they are usually not crazy.

I worried for some time, after working under one INTP (lol), and went twice to some doctors trying to persuade them that I might be crazy, and they couldn't find any reason to be worried. Instead, they talked with me about other things, like physical health issues.

Of course, if I were in the US, i'm sure I would have had by now a long list of personal disorders, for each of my body cells and for each chunk in my dna /copyright monsanto/. ;p

Last edited:
Despite wholeheartedly agreeing with this:
I've been called crazy a few times... I'm quite alright with it. A healthy level of insanity is necessary for anyone. Furthermore; most crazy people are the happiest around. So long as you aren't in a straight jacket, being crazy isn't so bad. INFJ brains work so differently we may as well be insane, and we love it.

"Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music." -Tao Te Ching

I still sometimes wonder if I see things the way I do because I'm "damaged". I think that has a lot to do with a personal MBTI horror story, but that's another story for an entirely different thread.

However, I also relate all to well to this:
Sometimes I think I'm too sane!

Last edited:
I have those moments.. where I just feel totally disconnected from reality. I have snap hallucinations that scare me and jolt me back

I get visually confused and see things like that and I have to convince myself momentarily what they could in reality be. It's very scary and I hope I make it out of my 20's schizophrenia free.. because I hear it strikes in the 20s. (But all of this, I'm sure, has nothing to do with the mbti.)

If I also really contemplate the way we live and make a living here and all that goes into making us human... I make myself so miserable with the disagreement of reality that I have to stop thinking about it or else I'm afraid I'll think myself into a deep depression.
Very very similar to my experiences as well. Here's to not going "crazy."

Very very similar to my experiences as well. Here's to not going "crazy."

yup I am also very very similar to this. I had a scare back in january where I thought I was going schizophrenic.

So, it's not just me :m122:

heh heh HEH heh heh HEH HAAAAAHAAA

No.

I don't worry about it so much these days. I just take my meds, watch my lifestyle (sleep, routine, etc.) and carry on. Of course at the back of my mind there is the niggling little worry i might derail again, but I don't obsess about it.