Do you think it's important to know what people think of you? | INFJ Forum

Do you think it's important to know what people think of you?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you think it's important to know what people think of you? why or why not?

Is it important to you to have others know what you think of them? Why or why not?

Last edited:
I think it's important to know if people like you or not (most of the time). I guess it just depends on the relationship. Knowing what people know about you gives context to a relationship though.

Reactions: Gaze
I think it's important to know how people will behave in the future towards you, but not so much regarding others' opinions for their own sake.

Like for example, I care what people think about me if it tells me more about myself that I'm not seeing and I also care so that I can know whether we could have a genuine friendship/relationship, but otherwise not really.

I wouldn't say it's important, but it surely is insightful. Sometimes people see stuff in you that you never knew you had. Someone pointing that out can come quite as a shock at first; it may not really define you but at least you know how you come across.

I think its important to let people know you think of them.

It's important to know what others think of me because I'm really into self-reflection. But what others think, in itself, has very little/no value to me once I've analyzed it enough and seen where it's coming from. There will be the very rare occasion where a comment is actually based on me, and not a misconception of me, or a lack of understanding, or a projection. I treasure such rareties greatly; they make me more aware of myself and what I need to change/keep doing.

Flattery doesn't have an effect on me generally, and same for negative remarks. Although the negative remarks are frustrating when they're based on misconception, which is most of the time. But I've realized I am doomed to be misunderstood. (Wow, I'm trying really hard for this to not sound pretentious. It's not going so well lol)

Ultimately, they're just opinions and they serve as fuel for my self-analysis and analysis of others.

Honestly I don't really care either way as long as they're being respectful. Most people's opinions I tend to disregard anyway unless they are giving me previously unlearned information, peoples feelings however is something I'm very sensitive to and absorb that like crazy, I seem to be an empath and tend to mirror emotion which can be horrible at times but its something I can reason through with my logic usually.

Reactions: headache and Gaze
Do you think it's important to know what people think of you? why or why not?

For me it is. >_< I have the bad habit to blame myself for every little mistake in social-life. Although I know others don't even nearly mind it as much, this is still uncertain information. I want to know what others think about me, so I don't have to think about what others might think about me. @_@
They might think:
a) (-) -> yup, I'm annoying.
b) (+) -> nope, I'm not.
c) (0) -> simply normal.
d) (--) -> who cares about me?
And this is too much possibility. >_>

Is it important to you to have others know what you think of them? Why or why not?

No way. XD Except if I like them. I hate friction.

I don't generally care much what people think of me because by and large it's none of my business what goes on in their heads.

I'm concerned about being the best person that I can be so if someone offers me constructive criticism then I'll apply it if I think it's valid and necessary. Otherwise I only really care that people respect me for who I am.

But as long as it's like aerosol said:
There will be the very rare occasion where a comment is actually based on me, and not a misconception of me, or a lack of understanding, or a projection.
then I am okay with whatever people say. If it's true, then I'm alright with what people think of me whether it be good or bad.

Honestly I don't really care either way as long as they're being respectful. Most people's opinions I tend to disregard anyway unless they are giving me previously unlearned information, peoples feelings however is something I'm very sensitive to and absorb that like crazy, I seem to be an empath and tend to mirror emotion which can be horrible at times but its something I can reason through with my logic usually.

+1

I do not care with the exception of those who are very close to me. And even then it's less about their perceptions of me and more about their perceptions of what I'm doing and how it relates to our particular relationship.

My thoughts are my own. They're private. What people think of me is up to them and it's better if they keep their thoughts private, too.

Yes it's useful to know how my behavior is coming across to others. Sometimes I'm oblivious to this so I need a reality check.

It's important for me to know at least a general idea of what someone thinks of me, but only if I'm going to be in direct contact with them often.

Generally I don't care too much about what most people think of me because they're not going to be a big part of my life, and I wouldn't change my ways for them if they didn't like any aspect of my personality.

but it is a big help to me when considering who my friends are if I know if they regard me negatively or positively.

If I appreciate someone I will often let them know that. I feel it's important for my friends to know they have a friend in me and that I like who they are. If I don't like what someone's doing or an aspect of someone's personality I will try to find the best way to tell them so as not to halm the friendship.

However if it's a person I don't know or don't have much contact with I don't bother because what I have to say is probably of little importance.

Yes because the information is vital to knowing where I stand and how I appear in social settings. The information will always contain something I did not foresee or predict. As such the information can used to alter myself in ways that makes me better fitting the world around me. So really, the information is very useful to making myself into a better person, and knowing how to interact with others in the most meaningful way possible. That being said, not everyones opinions are valid.

Knowing where someone stands with anything is advantageous. There is less likelihood of misunderstandings that way.

What people think about you, is only the beginning to what they can potentially do to affect you.

It depends entirely on who. If I actually care about them and respect them, then their opinion of me matters much more to me. Really the only people whose opinions matter to me now are my husband and best friend. Everyone else well...if they like me great, if not, no great loss to me. Even my inlaws and such. If they don't like me, I don't really care. I don't have to live with them.

I guess it kind of goes without saying though that I wouldn't give two shits if someone I couldn't stand or did not respect thought negatively of me.

Hmmm...I am interested in self betterment though, and also being aware of when I am making other people uncomfortable and such. Because of that, sometimes I would be interested in knowing how I come across to people. But it isn't something I really worry about very much.

It is important, yes. Very. Its the cause and effect thing. Most people are in the habit of creating a caricature of you, despite you. Sometimes those caricatures are almost a character assasination. A big part of that is lac of perception, impatience, and disinterest, and self interest. So how they percieve you is almost like a kindergarden level dot-to-dot. Those types of people are many. In the professional world, your character (as seen by others), is pretty imperative. A bad image can sabotage your advancement, or likewise the opposite. They're not going to draw you accurately anyway, so you might as well manipulate the situation. Because you can. Honor your true self, with people who are capable of appreciating you. The beauty of being a INFJ, is the ability to camouflage yourself into a particular persona (albeit, energetically, for a short period), but you can effectively improve your reputation if you reflect a persona that is condusive to the setting you are trying to excel in. To accentuate my case, read How to Win Friends and Influence people.