Do you get depressed when ignored? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you get depressed when ignored?

I'm wondering if anyone gets depressed when their friends fail to spend time with them, and you are left alone with nothing to do. - Happens all the time to me. I spend most of my time at home now with my family, but thats ok, I live in a big family, so its not often I am lonely. But sometimes I wish for friends outside of my family. I mean as sad as this may sound I don't have any friends, I have acquaintances.

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends break important dates? - Sometimes, but usually I think that they must have something important or that they forgot. Hell, friends are humans too. However I would like them to tell me If they can't make it or not.
But in reality I don't actually think that I'm worth people's time and effort.

Do you get depressed if all of your friends break important dates, and leave you to the activity alone? - Yes, because I wish I had their company.

If you are left alone, do you still do the important activity? - If its important than yes. I'll invite my friends some other time.

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends break unimportant dates? - No, but I would like it if they informed me before hand.

Do you get depressed if all of your friends break unimportant dates, and leave you to the activity alone? - See above.

If you are left alone, do you still do the unimportant activity? - Depends on the activity, most of the time I'll call it off and do it some other time.

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends don't want to hang out? - Sometimes. It might be that they are just busy with something. However If its because I have hurt their feelings without me knowing it and they are not willing to tell me or sort it out then yes.

Do you get depressed if all of your friends don't want to hang out, and leave you to the activity alone? - Yes, but this might be because I didn't plan it out properly.

If you are left alone, do you still try to go hang out somewhere? - Yes, I go to the library, the pet shop, the local art club, the gym or the graveyard. However if none of these options are available then I walk home.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone gets depressed when their friends fail to spend time with them, and you are left alone with nothing to do. - Happens all the time to me. I spend most of my time at home now with my family, but thats ok, I live in a big family, so its not often I am lonely. But sometimes I wish for friends outside of my family.

This is real hard for me. Keep wishing for friends that they will meet us or no.

This is real hard for me. Keep wishing for friends that they will meet us or no.

Yes, its very hard if you don't get to go out much during the week. My friends are the guys that I meet at art school and work. By friend I mean acquaintance.

So I don't have any true friends as such.

Yes, its very hard if you don't get to go out much during the week. My friends are the guys that I meet at art school and work. By friend I mean acquaintance.

So I don't have any true friends as such.

I think, it must be trust maintain issue, which makes us worried all time. Do you think so? And when they say they are not able to make the meeting we feel that we lost the time and space to invest some trust with them. It looks like i have little fear and useless anxiety for friends.

I think, it must be trust maintain issue, which makes us worried all time. Do you think so? And when they say they are not able to make the meeting we feel that we lost the time and space to invest some trust with them. It looks like i have little fear and useless anxiety for friends.

yes it is a trust issue. I have some very good friends. But I'm affraid all the time of losing them. It is like or I need to be able to trust on someone without doubt, or they don't have to come very close. I know I can't expect that they remain my friends forever and no matter what, but that makes it hard to open up.

yes it is a trust issue. I have some very good friends. But I'm affraid all the time of losing them. It is like or I need to be able to trust on someone without doubt, or they don't have to come very close. I know I can't expect that they remain my friends forever and no matter what, but that makes it hard to open up.

This is the key to have friends for forever, we have to believe this friendship forever and have to keep trust on it. We will face many hardships and have to prove ourselves true. I will go for it and sooner will remove those fearful thoughts. After all we can't live with friends with those fearful thoughts. We have to make choice.

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends break important dates? Yes, it does.
Do you get depressed if all of your friends break important dates, and leave you to the activity alone? Yes
If you are left alone, do you still do the important activity? No. What's the point in following through with something that I planned to be centered around doing it with friends?

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends break unimportant dates? It depends on what the date is and WHO it's with.
Do you get depressed if all of your friends break unimportant dates, and leave you to the activity alone? Maybe not for something unimportant. But it still depends on what and who.
If you are left alone, do you still do the unimportant activity? No - usually it's going to be a one on one thing so if my friend bails, I wouldn't/couldn't do it alone.

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends don't want to hang out? No. What hurts my feelings is when I want to hang out with someone and somehow, it becomes a group activity. That makes me feel like I'm not important - it's the event that's important to my friend. Or I'm not enough of a priority to the person to do said event with alone - other people need to be included.
Do you get depressed if all of your friends don't want to hang out, and leave you to the activity alone? Again... I'm not into big group things. If the few people I wanted to hang with bail on me, usually they'll have a good reason. But if it's someone I'm interested in and they bail.. yes, it's depressing.
If you are left alone, do you still try to go hang out somewhere? Hang out... maybe at a coffee shop - so I'm still around people... but I won't try and find a secondary group... I won't have a back-up plan. If plan A fails, I've got nothing.

Last edited:
I do at times, but usually after a series of events where that happens often. In and of itself, it doesn't bother me when other people have stuff to do; I understand that. But when it happens all the time, it can bother me. When it happens too often, it's like I don't matter, which is a sort of insecurity of mine.

I think one of the problems is that I get bored, and then I get depressed.

As for whether I still do the event or activity, it depends on what type of activity it is. I will look for others to hang out with, though, if my original problems fall out.

This happened all the time when I first acquired my disability and it bothered me quite a bit. I became depressed and pretty reclusive. Eventually, however, I realized my old friends weren't coming back and that if I wanted company, I'd better go out and find some new ones. It was hard at first; some of my old friends I'd known for 20 years. Now my "new" friends and I have been friends for nearly as long.

That is too bad (the first part of it). People can be so prejudiced about disabilities. :hug:

I would get depressed if my significant other, roommate, family, or close friends ignored me. Otherwise, I just get anxious. It occurs on a regular basis though.

Being ignored is infuriating.

I would get depressed if my significant other, roommate, family, or close friends ignored me. Otherwise, I just get anxious. It occurs on a regular basis though.

Being anxious is normal. It is normal, because when any human being makes relationship and you know relationship comes with two things: Bright & new hopes , anxiety to look after it.

I'm wondering if anyone gets depressed when their friends fail to spend time with them, and you are left alone with nothing to do.

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends break important dates?
Yes

Do you get depressed if all of your friends break important dates, and leave you to the activity alone?
Yes

If you are left alone, do you still do the important activity?
Depends

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends break unimportant dates?
No

Do you get depressed if all of your friends break unimportant dates, and leave you to the activity alone?
Depends on my feelings

If you are left alone, do you still do the unimportant activity?
Depends on the activity and my feelings

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends don't want to hang out?
Sometimes

Do you get depressed if all of your friends don't want to hang out, and leave you to the activity alone?
Depends on the activity and my feelings

If you are left alone, do you still try to go hang out somewhere?
Depends on me

That should do it.

I have about three friends. So yeah it pisses me off a bit when they fail to hang out with me since that's all I have, and no social activity outside of that.

I'm wondering if anyone gets depressed when their friends fail to spend time with them, and you are left alone with nothing to do. Not really.

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends break important dates? If we agreed on it, then I usually get my hopes up. I don't care if friends forget my birthday
Do you get depressed if all of your friends break important dates, and leave you to the activity alone? As I said, if we agreed on it and they don't explain their absence then it can bother me
If you are left alone, do you still do the important activity? Yes

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends break unimportant dates? No
Do you get depressed if all of your friends break unimportant dates, and leave you to the activity alone? Not very much
If you are left alone, do you still do the unimportant activity? Depends on how much I would enjoy the activity. If I was just there as an excuse to spend time with friends, then I would probably leave

Does it hurt your feelings if your friends don't want to hang out? Yes, a little bit. I'm actually very understanding, but each consecutive time (in a row) it happens, it bothers me more.
Do you get depressed if all of your friends don't want to hang out, and leave you to the activity alone? It depends on how many times it has happened recently.
If you are left alone, do you still try to go hang out somewhere? Yup. I generally find things to do and doing em alone isnt so bad

However in spite of these answers, it *does* bother me when my friends are having fun and i'm not included. Or if we meet up with a person one of my close friends hasnt seen in awhile and they're having much more fun together than my friend and I usually do, I might get depressed and insecure about it for a few hours -- though not show it if I can help it -- just because I understand the irrational nature of the emotion.

Last edited:
That is too bad (the first part of it). People can be so prejudiced about disabilities. :hug:

I think disabilities frighten people; they see it as their worst nightmare instead of something that occurs naturally in life. It's particularly hard when a friend or loved one acquires a disability suddenly. The change is difficult to dea with and then there's having to look at the possibility that someday it may happen to them.

I think because I was something of a "golden girl" this was even more of a problem. nce I could see that, I was able to get on with my life. I stopped letting it bother me so much and took up a new life. If I'd let the prejudice stop me,bother me too much, I'd have missed out on a whole lot, like my life over the last 20 years.

Last edited:
It will bother me if I put emotional investment, and then the other person appears to have no emotional response to it what so ever. Pretty much this will hurt when the other person doesn't have any care about it.
Yes I can very much relate.
Too much emotional involvement makes me feel more vulnerable.

It hurts if you care but the other person doesn't appear to care as much as you do.
It is depressing to have this feeling of being ignored or rejected...

:m068:

It used to bother me a lot, but I now think that if you're going to allow people to ignore you when you want them to not do that, then it's your own doing and both of your faults.
^^"
Except when other people break important dates for no real reason. That's just mean.
(My friends do this a whole lot, such as my friend saying we could all go back to hers in the evening because my living room was being painted, then making up a phony excuse to not allow us back so she could do work =.= why couldn't she just say she wanted to do work?!)

Last edited:
I think disabilities frighten people; they see it as their worst nightmare instead of something that occurs naturally in life. It's particularly hard when a friend or loved one acquires a disability suddenly. The change is difficult to dea with and then there's having to look at the possibility that someday it may happen to them.

Yeah, it really sucks that people can be so insensitive... I hope it is changing though so that people will get more used to people with disabilities, but I think there's a long way to go still