Do you believe in Religion or God for that matter? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you believe in Religion or God for that matter?

Do you believe in God?

• I believe in religion and god

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I dont believe in religion but I do believe in god

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I dont believe in religion or god

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • If there was a god smiffy wouldnt spell this bad!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People force Atheism?

I'm New Age.

Atheism is just as bad when it's forced on others. It's no exception.

Atheism is the religion of non-believers. It's a belief all the same and is not being over looked. I've had Atheism forced on me many times which is what prompted me to question christianity. Yes, it is awful having your faith destroyed and I would not wish to do this to anyone else. And before you question the integrity of my faith know that I was in kindergarten facing the perils of peer pressure for the first time.

People force Atheism?
Aiy.. and sometimes, they're just as fanatical about it as those freaks who hold the "God Hates Fags" signs in public.

Pretty much why I broke up with my ex. He just couldn't settle down about trying to convince me to be an atheist. It was creepy.

Exactly. I don't want to be told how stupid I am for being part of a "religion." Atheists often seem to be out to prove that all religions are wrong. I don't like that.

Atheism is the religion of non-believers. It's a belief all the same and is not being over looked. I've had Atheism forced on me many times which is what prompted me to question christianity. Yes, it is awful having your faith destroyed and I would not wish to do this to anyone else. And before you question the integrity of my faith know that I was in kindergarten facing the perils of peer pressure for the first time.

I used to be happily (or so I thought) agnostic. My mother always took me to church when I was little, but really, I never fit in with the church. So I said that I was spiritual, but not religious. I believed in a higher power, but not that it was necessarily prevalent in my life.

About half a year ago, I ran into the Bahai Faith and my entire life was changed. It was the first time a religion "fit" with me. I just feel with every ounce of my being that this is it. Of course, I've gotten a LOT of flack for it (most people think it's some crazy cult, simply because they've never heard of it), but I simply do not care. It's addressed ALL of the issues I've ever had about religion (like religious intolerance, people trying to convert others, "you'll go to Hell if...", etc). To the Bahai's, all religions worship the same one God (yes, even polytheistic religions), proselytizing is not allowed (no forcing it on others), and there is no "Hell" in the Christian sense of the word. The Bahai Faith is all about not being hateful, prejudiced, rascist, sexist, discriminating or cruel. Religion and science must agree and everyone must investigate the truth on their own.

Anyway, I could go on and on about why this religion is so great, but I won't. I will just say that it's made me the happiest I've ever been. Ever.

My life has so much purpose and so much light since I became a Bahai. If I thought I was an idealist before, I'm surely an uber idealist now. I have undying, ever-expanding optimism.

So yes, yes I do believe in God. And religion.

Exactly. I don't want to be told how stupid I am for being part of a "religion." Atheists often seem to be out to prove that all religions are wrong. I don't like that.

He wanted to "wipe religion" off the planet. He admitted to having a fascist attitude about it. You can't force people to do anything. He was convinced religion was responsible for all the destruction and oppression in the world. Maybe he's right.

But you still can't alienate and try to control people into holding your beliefs.

I'm an agnostic. I use to be atheist but changed my mind when a coke can floated across my apartment for 20ft with no visible catalyst...since then I've taken an interest in ghosts.

But you still can't alienate and try to control people into holding your beliefs.

You certainly can. There are alot of people who would turn to following a belief if they thought they were going to be segregated. The majority of people like to feel part of the group. It doesn't matter to them so much what they're doing, as long as they're excepted for doing it. And even if they are uncomfortable with it the need to fit in is still there.

And then there is also the fact that people aren't so much forced as they are lured. Things start off fine and in low key and you aren't asked of much, then slowly without the person realising the intensity of what's required of them is increased. It's kind of a scary type of brainwashing. I speak from experience.

I'm glad both sides keep pretty quiet around here.

I pretty much go about my life with the underlying assumption that there is no god, and I have to admit I do sometimes wish everyone else did as well.

I pretty much go about my life with the underlying assumption that there is no god, and I have to admit I do sometimes wish everyone else did as well.

It would be nice. People who are forceful with their beliefs can be scary.

People force Atheism?
You kidding? The atheists are usually just as fascist as the zealots.

The way I see it, agnosticism is the only balanced way to view the subject of religion. Nobody knows all the answers, not even the scientists, and none of us will know the answers until the day that we die.

To believe you know the "truth" is simply arrogance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an atheist (as in "one without theism," not "one who asserts that God does not exist").

Reactions: VH
I'm an atheist (as in "one without theism," not "one who asserts that God does not exist").

Semantically that's correct but isn't that basically just an agnostic?

You kidding? The atheists are usually just as fascist as the zealots.

The way I see it, agnosticism is the only balanced way to view the subject of religion. Nobody knows all the answers, not even the scientists, and none of us will know the truth until the day that we die.

To believe you know the "truth" is simply arrogance.

How do they do it? "You must believe in Atheism or you'll burn in the firey pits of hell forever, oh wait, no you won't..."

:D

The atheists are usually just as fascist as the zealots.
That's quite a strong and consequently dubious statement. One would have to greatly limit the "atheist" label and extend the "zealot" label to make their respective levels of fascist or totalitarian tendencies match up.

Semantically that's correct but isn't that basically just an agnostic?

No. It counts as "agnostic atheist" if you like, but agnostics as opposed to atheists believe that if God existed, se would still be unknowable, so the question is one to be ignored and often one to which probabilities cannot be applied. I think that if God did exist, se would (should) have some accompanying evidence that we would comprehend.

How do they do it? "You must believe in Atheism or you'll burn in the firey pits of hell forever, oh wait, no you won't..."
They ram their beliefs down your throat and criticise everything that you believe in until they are blue in the face, and they treat you like you are scum or beneath them unless you choose to subscribe to their belief system.

The irony is usually lost on them.

Not all atheists are like this, but the huge majority I have run into have been, no less so than the religion extremists.

That's quite a strong and consequently dubious statement. One would have to greatly limit the "atheist" label and extend the "zealot" label to make their respective levels of fascist or totalitarian tendencies match up.
There are extremists in regard to everything.

I'm not saying they're the majority of people, or that they are necessarily of equal number, but they exists regardless of the subject matter, and they are just as guilty as each other of arrogance and self-righteousness.

Last edited by a moderator: