Cognitive Processes | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Processes

I see what you mean but you're jumping to conclusions.

Jung studied psychologically healthy people so, pretty much, the MBTI only applies to psychologically healthy people.

And I don't think your Ti is that low. Based on the way you're analyzing the situation and your past posts, your Ti is probably way higher than you give it credit for being.

Juss sayin'.

awww really? THANK YOU, it gives me hope and I really needed it. somehow these are the words of my day. It was literally the worst day of my life, struggling between Fi vs. Fe in different areas with many people. It was an extreme emotional overload, I don't even know if anyone of you can understand how it was.

If T is zero on this quiz, it means that you didn't choose any responses on the test that are tied to the results for T functions. That's all.

If a test asks you if you like the color orange, the flavor of fruit, round things, and Vitamin C and you answer yes to all four, the result is likely going to tell you that you like oranges. Shocking. If you answer no to all of those questions, the results will probably tell you that you don't like oranges. Whether you do or don't like oranges, scoring zero on four self assessment questions doesn't mean you can't taste oranges. It just means your preferences aren't inclined toward oranges with respect to what the test was asking about. You're the one who has to decide whether or not you like them and if you want to eat them - not the test.

O M G THIS WAS SUCH A GREAT EXPLANATION Von hase <3 perfect figurative language!!! ^^ Im smiling haha, it really is one that I can understand perfectly.

awww really? THANK YOU, it gives me hope and I really needed it. somehow these are the words of my day. It was literally the worst day of my life, struggling between Fi vs. Fe in different areas with many people. It was an extreme emotional overload, I don't even know if anyone of you can understand how it was.

O M G THIS WAS SUCH A GREAT EXPLANATION Von hase <3 perfect figurative language!!! ^^ Im smiling haha, it really is one that I can understand perfectly.

Thanks! Glad I could help.

(I am going to avoid making a wise crack about how I cured mental retardation with a paragraph, hehe.)

I think a person who has prefers T in all situations ... would have aspergers/autism...

I'll have to veto that. When I was teaching, I had a student with aspergers. High functioning, but still. He was certainly not 100% T. High T, yes, but by no means devoid of F. :p

(I am going to avoid making a wise crack about how I cured mental retardation with a paragraph, hehe.)

Nope, you did it with an orange! :D

P.Project: Yeah, I'm going to have to start at the beginning since the middle wasn't working out too well... ;)

I'll have to veto that. When I was teaching, I had a student with aspergers. High functioning, but still. He was certainly not 100% T. High T, yes, but by no means devoid of F. :p
Good to know. However, I also know that people with autism (i'm not sure how similar this is to aspergers) are unable to use their limbic system to pick up feeling cues in their environment. In other words when it comes to EQ they would probably have a score that accords to that of 'chance'.

I suppose then, that ability and preference then are not always related.

Last edited:
Good to know. However, I also know that people with autism (i'm not sure how similar this is to aspergers) are unable to use their limbic system to pick up feeling cues in their environment. In other words when it comes to EQ they would probably have a score that accords to that of 'chance'.

Aspergers is in the Austism Spectrum Disorder, so it's a "mild" form of autism. My student had moderate aspergers, so displaying F is no surprise. It wouldn't surprise me if F dropped off and T became more pronounced the more profound the disorder, however. It was amusing at times watching him try to rationalize and analyze the behaviours he saw around him... Poor guy. ;)

Not in the least. The hierarchy of an individual's cognitive functions only indicate the order in which they are used for that individual in their cognitive processes, and therefore which function tends to be given preference if any disagree.

An individual can have much greater facility with any of their functions than others, regardless of their preferential order. For example, and INFJ could have IQ scale scores of 110 Ni, 123 Fe, 138 Ti, and 155 Se. The INFJ would still begin their cognitive process with their Ni function, before moving to their Fe function, before moving to their Ti function, before moving to their Se function. However, if at any point two of those functions come into conflict, the individual is going to give preference to the function with higher preference in the process... even if the lower function is more capable or more appropriate. This is where personality comes from.

In my own experience, I am rather strong in the Ti function but I've found that I will trust my intuition almost universally when all of my logic disagrees. I will favor my Fe idealism about how things should be, and will often not accept any clear and blatant evidence to the contrary, despite having a very well developed Se.

Aspergers is in the Austism Spectrum Disorder, so it's a "mild" form of autism. My student had moderate aspergers, so displaying F is no surprise. It wouldn't surprise me if F dropped off and T became more pronounced the more profound the disorder, however. It was amusing at times watching him try to rationalize and analyze the behaviours he saw around him... Poor guy. ;)

I believe that autism disorders, along with sociopathic disorders and other cognitive disorders like ADD are unrelated to the hierarchy of cognitive functions. These disorders are related to capacity in those functions, not the order in which they are used. In many cases, this is what causes the severe degree of conflict in an individual suffering from the disorders. Their cognitive process hierarchy requires their mind to move through these functions from time to time, but they have extremely hindered capacity in them. For example, individuals who suffer from autisticsm and aspergers can become extremely emotional when forced into their handicapped Fe and Se functions. Individuals who suffer from Down's Syndrome tend to have handicaps in their Ti and Si functions. Sociopaths seem to have handicaps in their Fe and Fi functions. A less obvious example of a cognitive function disorder is ADD, which is a disorder of the cingulate system that essentially governs the Si and Se functions. People who suffer from ADD still have use of their Si and Se functions, but not to the degree that those who do not.

In all of these cases, individuals with these disorders tend to overdevelop their corresponding opposite functions. Ausitics tend to have highly developed Ti and Si functions. Down's Syndrome sufferers thend toward surprisingly effective Fe and Se functions. Sociopaths tend to have highly developed Ti and Te functions. People with ADD almost universally overcompensate with highly developed Ne and Ni.

These are highly polarized examples of how the order of cognitive functions are unrealted to the capacity an individual has with them in the cognitive process because the disorders illustrate the effects of a very weak function. In all of these cases, the individuals still have these functions as part of their cognitive process, and generally choose to bypass through them to their next functions. Only when forced to use these functions are their handicaps truly evident.

Last edited:
Not in the least. The hierarchy of an individual's cognitive functions only indicate the order in which they are used for that individual in their cognitive processes, and therefore which function tends to be given preference if any disagree.

An individual can have much greater facility with any of their functions than others, regardless of their preferential order. For example, and INFJ could have IQ scale scores of 110 Ni, 123 Fe, 138 Ti, and 155 Se. The INFJ would still begin their cognitive process with their Ni function, before moving to their Fe function, before moving to their Ti function, before moving to their Se function. However, if at any point two of those functions come into conflict, the individual is going to give preference to the function with higher preference in the process... even if the lower function is more capable or more appropriate. This is where personality comes from.

I found this very interesting. I'd never heard an explanation like this for what often seems contradictions in people's cognitive function scores and their MBTI type function ordering.

Is this your personal theory, or could you refer me to further reading on this idea?

I believe that autism disorders, along with sociopathic disorders and other cognitive disorders like ADD are unrelated to the hierarchy of cognitive functions. These disorders are related to capacity in those functions, not the order in which they are used. In many cases, this is what causes the severe degree of conflict in an individual suffering from the disorders. Their cognitive process hierarchy requires their mind to move through these functions from time to time, but they have extremely hindered capacity in them. For example, individuals who suffer from autisticsm and aspergers can become extremely emotional when forced into their handicapped Fe and Se functions. Individuals who suffer from Down's Syndrome tend to have handicaps in their Ti and Si functions. Sociopaths seem to have handicaps in their Fe and Fi functions. A less obvious example of a cognitive function disorder is ADD, which is a disorder of the cingulate system that essentially governs the Si and Se functions. People who suffer from ADD still have use of their Si and Se functions, but not to the degree that those who do not.

In all of these cases, individuals with these disorders tend to overdevelop their corresponding opposite functions. Ausitics tend to have highly developed Ti and Si functions. Down's Syndrome sufferers thend toward surprisingly effective Fe and Se functions. Sociopaths tend to have highly developed Fi and Fe functions. People with ADD almost universally overcompensate with highly developed Ne and Ni.

Again, very interesting thoughts.

In your description sociopaths were described as both suffering handicaps in their Fe and Fi and then also as tending toward highly developed Fi and Fe. Was this a typo, or could you explain it further?

I found this very interesting. I'd never heard an explanation like this for what often seems contradictions in people's cognitive function scores and their MBTI type function ordering.

Is this your personal theory, or could you refer me to further reading on this idea?

Mostly personal theory based on what I've read of Jung's work and what the MBTI implies about cognitive preference as opposed to capacity.

Again, very interesting thoughts.

In your description sociopaths were described as both suffering handicaps in their Fe and Fi and then also as tending toward highly developed Fi and Fe. Was this a typo, or could you explain it further?

Typo. Now edited. Sorry about that. This is also my personal theory.

Mostly personal theory based on what I've read of Jung's work and what the MBTI implies about cognitive preference as opposed to capacity.

Well it makes a lot of sense to me and explains things I had previously not been able to make sense of.

Typo. Now edited. Sorry about that. This is also my personal theory.

Thanks, for clarifying.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************ (24.2)

average use

introverted Sensing (Si) ************************* (25)
average use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne)
************************************************ (48.9)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************************** (42.6)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ******** (8.8)
unused

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************** (14.4)
unused

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************ (36.8)
excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************************** (39.7)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Kinda scares me that it turned up 'unused' for both extroverted thinking and introverted thinking..

Last edited:
(Ne) (48.9)
(Ni) (42.6)
(Fe) (36.8)
(Fi) (39.7)
(Se) (24.2)
(Si) (25)
(Te)(8.8)
(Ti) (14.4)

One of my best friends is an INFP and she got an extremely similar result. Briggs Myers was also an INFP and was working on a new system of measurement called MBTI Step 2 before she died because she also got similar results in raw cognitive tests. I think what is going on here is that you're both answering very high or low on most questions, which would stem from a dominant Fi. You're less likely to have middle of the road feelings on a subject, especially when it relates to yourselves.

You may also be attributing your pair functions into areas not normally associated with them because you compensate with them. For example, your Ne is the highest, giving you a strong intuition. Your Fi is also very high, giving you a strong inclination toward Feeling. However, your Feeling is tied to your Intuition and vice versa (Fi + Ne) giving you the sense that you also have more intorversion in your intuition (Ni), and more extroversion in your feeling (Fe).

I would also wager that because you feel so strongly, your Te function is actually much stronger than it appears strong but appears to be Fe because you tend to think about things that apply to the outside world as idealism. For example, your Fi + Te would make you inclined to care much more about people and causes than the aspects associated with Ti like pure unfeeling logic. In otherwords, I am pretty sure you're a much stronger Thinker than your results show because the wording on the test is somewhat ambiguous to reading INFPs well.

Lastly, your Si is solid as would be the case for an INFP and your Se appears more solid because your Ne is so good and compensates for any lack of Se.

I give you the Von Hase stamp of INFP Awesomeness!

*STAMP*

Last edited:
Von Hase, you rock! Your explanations are always so clear and concise and insightful!
I was wondering if I was slow or somethin. I'm always worried I'm not a competent enough thinker..

Thanks!

I'm not in favour of this latest incarnation of the test. I think you'll get a more true result from the "blind" version that's no longer online. (Maybe they thought that totally unlike me - mostly unlike me - neutral - mostly me - strongly me made for too many grey areas.) Now, you have the freedom to base your answers around your prejudices for and against each of the cognitive functions because you can tabulate what your score is going to be before hitting enter.

I took this test again today to illustrate a point of how widely our function preferences can fluctuate. In the last test, my Fi is stronger than my Fe. This is likely due to something as simple as my mood today. Our cognitive functions are far more interrelated and fluid than not. The pattern is not only indicative of preference, but also how each function reacts and compensates to the others.

Feb 12, 2009
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36)
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (17.7)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.9)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.1)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.5)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************************* (43.3)

introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.1)
March 11, 2009
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.2)
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.1)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.3)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************************** (44.5)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************** (18.2)
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************** (27.2)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************** (38.4)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.3)

March 26, 2009

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se)
*********************** (23.9)
introverted Sensing (Si) *************** (15.8)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.2)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41.1)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22.7)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************* (31.9)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.2)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.2)

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process

Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INFP

The blue results were from February 12th 2009. The red results were from March 11th, 2009. The black results are from March 26th, 2009.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.2)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.9)
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (17.7)
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.1)
introverted Sensing (Si) *************** (15.8)

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.9)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.3)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.2)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.1)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************************** (44.5)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41.1)

extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.5)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************** (18.2)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22.7)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36)
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************** (27.2)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************* (31.9)

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************************* (43.3)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************** (38.4)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.2)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.1)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.3)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.2)

These results can also provide some insights into how the MBTI can mistype.

The MBTI is likely to read the above preferences as N moderately over S, and F slightly over T. It's also going to have some trouble discerning I and E, because the introverted functions have an overall weight similar to the extroverted functions. Additionally, the Judging functions have only a slightly stronger weight than the Perceiving functions. It is precisely for this reason that the MBTI can sometimes misinterpret a person's preferences, even if they answer honestly and with good understanding of the questions' intentions, because the MBTI takes all of these functions into consideration and groups them as N, S, F, and T, then compares all of the I vs E and then all of the J vs P.

Last edited:
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************** (14.4)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************* (25.3)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************* (33.5)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.5)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.3)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************* (19.3)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************* (43.6)
excellent us
INFJ

I retook it. I still disagree with my Ne score. For the most part, using Ne feel incredibly akward for me, and I largely don't like it (also seems kind of flakey to others).

Retaken

extraverted Sensing (Se) 34.7 good use
introverted Sensing (Si) 16.7 limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) 37.9 good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) 39.8 excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) 26.7 average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) 25.7 average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) 46.9 excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) 42.9 excellent use

ENFP, hence spot the Ambiversion of introverted and extraverted.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)extraverted Sensing (Se) *************************************** (39.6)
excellent useintroverted Sensing (Si) ***************************** (29.4)
average useextraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.2)
average useintroverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************* (25)
average useextraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************* (31.3)
good useintroverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************** (29.2)
average useextraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************* (25.1)
average useintroverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.6)
good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ESFP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ISFP, or ESTP

Retest: I think I type as ESFP on this test because it's sometimes easier to recognise your secondary function more than your primary function. Fi is such an encompassing part of who I am that I don't conciously recognise it or take as much notice.

introverted Feeling Fi.....45.2
excellent use

extraverted Feeling Fe.....40.9
excellent use

introverted Intuiting Ni.....38.9
excellent use

extraverted Intuiting Ne.....38.9
excellent use

introverted Thinking Ti.....28.5
average use

extraverted Sensing Se.....23.5
limited use

introverted Sensing Si.....23.4
limited use

extraverted Thinking Te.....19.3
limited use

cheers,
Ian

Retook for a 3rd time so I can make a chart

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************** (14.5)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.7)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************************** (42.5)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.4)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************** (28.5)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************* (33.8)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************************** (40.6)
excellent use