Cognitive Processes | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Processes

Hmm, by that you should look into other types, and do some evaluation. From that, it seems pretty hard for you to be an F type.

Also keep in mind, from past experience, this test is rough. It is really hard to get accurate results because you have to be 100% honest with your answers, and take your time with everything (alot harder to do then it seems)

Hmm, by that you should look into other types, and do some evaluation. From that, it seems pretty hard for you to be an F type.

Also keep in mind, from past experience, this test is rough. It is really hard to get accurate results because you have to be 100% honest with your answers, and take your time with everything (alot harder to do then it seems)

Mayhaps. I'm pretty sure I am INFJ; maybe I should retake the test?

I say this alot: you are your own best judge.

It's worth a shot. Figuring out ones type is not a overnight deal.

Retook it for experimental reasons --

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.7)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************** (20.5)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************** (38)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22.5)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.8)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************* (31.8)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************** (32.9)
good use
INFP

Or:
Ne > Ni > Fi > Fe > Ti > Se > Te > Si

The top two processes are both perceiving, and basically are equal...and my Fi and Fe are very close. In fact, Fi, Fe, and Ti are close enough that the difference is almost negligible...I think it actually points more to INFJ, though, because my Te and Si are not good at all, and it's all really close...

I took a look at your results again, and I noticed something that may be difficult to explain.

I have a theory that cognitive functions are much more fluid than 8 defined groups would imply. Intuition, Sensing, Feeling, Thinking, and Introversion/Extroversion within each are more related than not. The 8 functions are like epicenters for each of these arenas, but by no means the extent of them. You clearly have an amazing and versatile mind.

However, I think what is happening with respect to your results is what I call 'ghosting'.

Judging by your lesser functions, Ti, Se, Te, and Si, I am making the deduction that your dominant order is Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se... and that your Ne and Fi are the result of a mixture of your strong Ni and Fe. Because your mind is versatile, you've been able to mimic Ne by applying Fe's extroverted sensibilities to your Ni. You've also developed a deeper sense of internal understanding by applying your Ni's introverted nature to your Fe reasoning.

My own results are similar, and I've realized that's how I came to those capacities. In nearly every person's results that I've seen from this test, there is a similar theme.

However, despite my having the appearance of the functionality of Ne on this quiz, people with true Ne can annoy me very quickly because I cannot keep up with their utterly brilliant nonsense. What they do is amazing, but my mind is not designed to keep up with them reflexively. My psuedo Ne is slow, and the result of processing my Ni and Fe together to produce similar results. This means that I am not especially capable of superfluous tangents, and my creativity must always be focused on practicality. True Ne is, from what I have witnessed with great consistency, the fastest thought process of the 8 functions. I don't have it. I can't even attempt to keep up with the rates of speed that Ne thinkers' minds move. We come to the same conclusions, but what takes me a few moments, takes them less than a microsecond. However, the opposite is true. I come to correct answers with no explanation in an instant, while they have to roll through all the possibilities for a moment to come to them. I've been told that this can be terribly annoying to Ne's, and it seems to equal my own annoyance (and possibly jealousy) with their abilities. The end result is the same, but the difference is one is inherent, and the other is manufactured.

I have the same reaction to true Fi. It often annoys me because it appears so self focused and self serving. However, once I've had a chance to consider others, I can use my Ni and Fe to figure out how I feel about something. My Fi friends tell me that they are equally annoyed by my inherent reflex to tell people how things should be. They call me bossy, demanding, and judgmental, but once they've had a chance to reflect, they realize that I'm also benevolent, unselfish, and put the needs of the group ahead of my own - which is what they do once they've had a chance to consider their own feelings first. Again, the result is the same, but the difference is that one is inherent, and the other is manufactured.

I truly believe that this is the reason for the 'ghosting' on this test result, regardless of what functions are manufacturing others. Dominant functions will always pair to form their opposing functions. Whether they are truly creating those functions or simply mimicing psuedo versions, I do not know, though I suspect this is the case. I could be wrong.

What I am convinced of, is that in your case, Gloomy, you are either inherently Ne and Fi with psuedo Ni and Fe, OR you are inherently Ni and Fe with pseudo Ne and Fi. My logic and my intution tell me that the latter is the case, but you're the only one who can truly assess which pair is inherent and which pair is manufactured.

I hope this helps. (This is in response to a question you asked me a while back about my opinion on this subject. Sorry that it took so long, and if the efficacy has expired.)

:m176:

[Identity]::[INFJ]:[Ni>Fi>Fe>Te>Ti>Si>Ne>Se]:[5w4]

Using the logic and pattern I just applied to Gloomy, your INFJness becomes very apparent. I've always said that in your photos, you are a quintessential INFJ, but the test results seemed to indicate otherwise. But, that was before I discerned the pattern. I might also add, that pattern makes you a very versatile thinker.

Your Ni and Fe mix to make an Fi between them.
Your Fe and Ti mix to make a Te between them.
Your Ti and Se mix to make an Si between them.

All of these are effectively midpoint convergences. This means you've got a tremendous ability to use your cognitive functions in tandem. (More proof of this would be your very circular plotting when you graphed your functions.) In other words, you have an amazing mind.

I'm not sure what's causing your Ne result, but from comments you've made about how Ne annoys you combined with the proximity in your order, I'm inclined to believe that your Ne is a mix of your Ni and Se. Your ability to discern possibilities is most likely based on what your Ni pulls out of your perceptions of the world around you, which is dynamic and warrants attention to the unpredictable.

Last edited:
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************* (21.5)
introverted Sensing (Si) *************** (15.8)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************************* (45.9)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.9)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************** (18.4)
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************** (28.6)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************* (21.3)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42.8)

The test claims I'm INFP, but I think I'm an INfJ/ENfP hybrid of some sort.

An INFJ/ENFP hybrid would in fact be an INFP. ;-)

Your Fi and Ne extremely high. They are likely causing your Ni and Ti results to be more elevated. To assume the opposite would be mixing your Ni and Fe, which is also possible, but much less likely based on the results.

My guess based on these results is that you are a Healer (INFP), with a well developed mind that allows you to be extroverted for extended periods when need be.

http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

My order is weird
Fi - Ni - Si - Ne

My order is weird
Fi - Ni - Si - Ne

I think you're simply Fi - Ne.

The Ni and Si are likely shadowed effects from using your Fi and Ne so extensively. Ni can be imitated with the introverted elements of Fi combined with Ne. Si can have an elevated capacity due to your dominant function being introverted (Fi). This is actually very common with INFPs from what I've seen.

You're not wierd. You're an INFP, and you guys are pretty awesome.

I took a look at your results again, and I noticed something that may be difficult to explain.

I have a theory that cognitive functions are much more fluid than 8 defined groups would imply. Intuition, Sensing, Feeling, Thinking, and Introversion/Extroversion within each are more related than not. The 8 functions are like epicenters for each of these arenas, but by no means the extent of them. You clearly have an amazing and versatile mind.

However, I think what is happening with respect to your results is what I call 'ghosting'.

Judging by your lesser functions, Ti, Se, Te, and Si, I am making the deduction that your dominant order is Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se... and that your Ne and Fi are the result of a mixture of your strong Ni and Fe. Because your mind is versatile, you've been able to mimic Ne by applying Fe's extroverted sensibilities to your Ni. You've also developed a deeper sense of internal understanding by applying your Ni's introverted nature to your Fe reasoning.

My own results are similar, and I've realized that's how I came to those capacities. In nearly every person's results that I've seen from this test, there is a similar theme.

However, despite my having the appearance of the functionality of Ne on this quiz, people with true Ne can annoy me very quickly because I cannot keep up with their utterly brilliant nonsense. What they do is amazing, but my mind is not designed to keep up with them reflexively. My psuedo Ne is slow, and the result of processing my Ni and Fe together to produce similar results. This means that I am not especially capable of superfluous tangents, and my creativity must always be focused on practicality. True Ne is, from what I have witnessed with great consistency, the fastest thought process of the 8 functions. I don't have it. I can't even attempt to keep up with the rates of speed that Ne thinkers' minds move. We come to the same conclusions, but what takes me a few moments, takes them less than a microsecond. However, the opposite is true. I come to correct answers with no explanation in an instant, while they have to roll through all the possibilities for a moment to come to them. I've been told that this can be terribly annoying to Ne's, and it seems to equal my own annoyance (and possibly jealousy) with their abilities. The end result is the same, but the difference is one is inherent, and the other is manufactured.

I have the same reaction to true Fi. It often annoys me because it appears so self focused and self serving. However, once I've had a chance to consider others, I can use my Ni and Fe to figure out how I feel about something. My Fi friends tell me that they are equally annoyed by my inherent reflex to tell people how things should be. They call me bossy, demanding, and judgmental, but once they've had a chance to reflect, they realize that I'm also benevolent, unselfish, and put the needs of the group ahead of my own - which is what they do once they've had a chance to consider their own feelings first. Again, the result is the same, but the difference is that one is inherent, and the other is manufactured.

I truly believe that this is the reason for the 'ghosting' on this test result, regardless of what functions are manufacturing others. Dominant functions will always pair to form their opposing functions. Whether they are truly creating those functions or simply mimicing psuedo versions, I do not know, though I suspect this is the case. I could be wrong.

What I am convinced of, is that in your case, Gloomy, you are either inherently Ne and Fi with psuedo Ni and Fe, OR you are inherently Ni and Fe with pseudo Ne and Fi. My logic and my intution tell me that the latter is the case, but you're the only one who can truly assess which pair is inherent and which pair is manufactured.

I hope this helps. (This is in response to a question you asked me a while back about my opinion on this subject. Sorry that it took so long, and if the efficacy has expired.)

:m176:

I'd say that's a fairly good explanation :B I still think I'm INFJ, especially because of what you said with Fi -- Ne I can use now almost effortlessly, and I think it helps that my bff is ESTP; I think his Se helps to bring out more of an Ne reaction in me, especially because he's a really creative guy that does a lot of "what ifs" and rhetorical situations and stuff. But my ENTJ sister tends to go on Fi tangents every once and awhile, and it irks me to no end. Fi can get really irritating when left to itself.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (19.4)
limited useintroverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.7)
average useextraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.6)
good useintroverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45)
excellent useextraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.7)
limited useintroverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.7)
good useextraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************************* (43)
excellent useintroverted Feeling (Fi) ************************* (25.3)
average use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

I guess that's that.

Using the logic and pattern I just applied to Gloomy, your INFJness becomes very apparent. I've always said that in your photos, you are a quintessential INFJ, but the test results seemed to indicate otherwise. But, that was before I discerned the pattern. I might also add, that pattern makes you a very versatile thinker.

Your Ni and Fe mix to make an Fi between them.
Your Fe and Ti mix to make a Te between them.
Your Ti and Se mix to make an Si between them.

All of these are effectively midpoint convergences. This means you've got a tremendous ability to use your cognitive functions in tandem. (More proof of this would be your very circular plotting when you graphed your functions.) In other words, you have an amazing mind.

I'm not sure what's causing your Ne result, but from comments you've made about how Ne annoys you combined with the proximity in your order, I'm inclined to believe that your Ne is a mix of your Ni and Se. Your ability to discern possibilities is most likely based on what your Ni pulls out of your perceptions of the world around you, which is dynamic and warrants attention to the unpredictable.

Makes a lot of sense to me, particuarly Fe and Ti mixing together to make Te.

As of recently (the past month or so). I have really taken the time to think about each function and taking function tests and I came up with this order. It is surprizing at how long it took me to take the tests and make me realise I have to answer the test 100% truthfully. I had to sit there and think "no I'm not that way... er... yeah I am... I just don't want to admit it, *click*, *cringe*". Once I did that my results were alot more accurate.

The reason my Ne is so low is because I truly do not like it. I have a high J score and becase I'm introverted, I don't like Se or Ne as they are too wishy-washy; I have a major problem with any kind of uncertianty. I went over alot of why my scores are the way they are in another thread post, and I think I finally got it. I do use Ne, only just a very little bit. The only function that I really have an adversion to is Se, I consistntly get a pretty much nonexsistant score for that.

Last edited:
... I think it helps that my bff is ESTP; I think his Se helps to bring out more of an Ne reaction in me...

This might be the most telling factor of all. NFJs and STPs share the same four cognitive functions, and naturally work well together. However, they bring out our lesser functions and vice versa. My best friend growing up is an ESTP, and my time with him definitely had the same effect on me. The more I am around him, the stronger my psuedo-Ne becomes.

I think we have it figured out.

(I also have the same reaction to Fi)

Makes a lot of sense to me, particuarly Fe and Ti mixing together to make Te.

As of recently (the past month or so). I have really taken the time to think about each function and taking function tests and I came up with this order. It is surprizing at how long it took me to take the tests and make me realise I have to answer the test 100% truthfully. I had to sit there and think "no I'm not that way... er... yeah I am... I just don't want to admit it, *click*, *cringe*". Once I did that my results were alot more accurate.

The reason my Ne is so low is because I truly do not like it. I have a high J score and becase I'm introverted, I don't like Se or Ne as they are too wishy-washy; I have a major problem with any kind of uncertianty. I went over alot of why my scores are the way they are in another thread post, and I think I finally got it. I do use Ne, only just a very little bit. The only function that I really have an adversion to is Se, I consistntly get a pretty much nonexsistant score for that.

Cool. Glad I could help.

According to a rather sound theory, the INFJ Inferior function (Se) is our Ambitious function, which is a source of great cognitive balance if we can develop it, and are aften drawn to activities that will stimulate it. I've seen photos where it looks like you are flying an unltralight. Piloting is an extremely Se activity. If you are interested in further developing your Se, take a martial arts, fencing, drawing, painting, dance, pottery, video production, or photography class. I'm convinced that my Se capacity stems from my early interest in martial arts and illustration, which were inspired by my ISTP father who is a Kung Fu instructor and a research engineer who does a fair amount of technical drafting. He is also a pilot, but that never appealed to me for some reason (not wanting to admit a serious fear of heights, hehe).

Heh, despite his best efforts to encourage me to Ti, I am certain that I developed my capacities there through my interests in table top roleplaying games in the 1970s and 80s. I was very fortunate to have early inspirations for my auxiliary and inferior functions. I'd suggest them if you want to add to your Ti, as they do so by encorporating our Ni and Fe.

I've seen photos where it looks like you are flying an unltralight. Piloting is an extremely Se activity. If you are interested in further developing your Se, take a martial arts, fencing, drawing, painting, dance, pottery, video production, or photography class.

Ooh, Indigo, there's that pilot theme again... o_O

This might be the most telling factor of all. NFJs and STPs share the same four cognitive functions, and naturally work well together. However, they bring out our lesser functions and vice versa. My best friend growing up is an ESTP, and my time with him definitely had the same effect on me. The more I am around him, the stronger my psuedo-Ne becomes.

I think we have it figured out.

(I also have the same reaction to Fi)

It would seem that you've definitely found a good theory! :D

Cool. Glad I could help.

According to a rather sound theory, the INFJ Inferior function (Se) is our Ambitious function, which is a source of great cognitive balance if we can develop it, and are often drawn to activities that will stimulate it. I've seen photos where it looks like you are flying an ultralight. Piloting is an extremely Se activity. If you are interested in further developing your Se, take a martial arts, fencing, drawing, painting, dance, pottery, video production, or photography class. I'm convinced that my Se capacity stems from my early interest in martial arts and illustration, which were inspired by my ISTP father who is a Kung Fu instructor and a research engineer who does a fair amount of technical drafting. He is also a pilot, but that never appealed to me for some reason (not wanting to admit a serious fear of heights, hehe).

Heh, despite his best efforts to encourage me to Ti, I am certain that I developed my capacities there through my interests in table top roleplaying games in the 1970s and 80s. I was very fortunate to have early inspirations for my auxiliary and inferior functions. I'd suggest them if you want to add to your Ti, as they do so by encorporating our Ni and Fe.

I will enjoy Se activities if I am alone in the matter, and I do not have to work with or interact with others. I did Karate for a while when I was in 2nd grade, and again when I was in 9th grade. I liked it when I did them. However, when sparring started, I quit. I can not fight other people regardless of the context. As such, I quit.

I suck at drawing, and I am decent at painting, and I do like them. I REALLY love pottery though. I did it for 4 years when I was in highschool, and enjoyed every minute of it. I actually excelled in it, and was one of the top students. Here are a few examples of stuff I have made. The first one is a dutch tuliparey form made out of porceilon with cobalt wash, it's around 2 feet tall. The second is a birdbath I made out of stoneware. The third is a waterfountain also made out of stoneware (it's functionality isnt so good though, haha) Everything was completly thrown on a potters wheel, then assembled as such. tuliparey, birdbath, fountain. I really want to do it here at college, but I do not have access to the facillites (the art department is mean and eletist).

I guess now that I think about it. I do use Se. However, I have no develped social use of Se. I detest that side of it, and avoid it at all costs. Same goes with Ne, I avoid the social aspects of Ne. I ski alot as well, and that is a very private thing for me. I will ski with my friend. However, any more then one person while I am skiing and I get pissy.

My dad is an ESTJ so he uses different function then I do, as such I never connected with him really with activities. The one sport thing he got me into was scuba diving. However, I don't like it that much because as a general rule, I do not like getting wet. Although he has tried very very hard to get me into alot of Se type activites.

Ooh, Indigo, there's that pilot theme again... o_O

Your right! I was skiing in that one picture though. Strange none the less. I really really like flying though. It is fun for me. I always really look forward to going on a plane when I go somewhere, and always feel really energized by it.

Today's results...

Cognitive Process
Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

introverted Intuiting (Ni)*****(42)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)****(38.9)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi)***(29.9)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti)***(29.7)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te)***(26.8)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)***(26.9)
average use
extraverted Sensing (Se)***(25.7)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si)**(20.7)
limited use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

It is interesting to see how things change over time. More or less though, your results have been mostly static for some time, and I think the variations are more related to current mood now :)

It is interesting to see how things change over time. More or less though, your results have been mostly static for some time, and I think the variations are more related to current mood now :)

Agreed.

However, I'm noticing a slight trend leaning more toward Te and Fi as I've been spending a lot of time with an INTJ friend of mine over the past year.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************************** (44.2)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************************************** (39.2)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.1)
good use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************************** (32)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************** (28.2)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (22.9)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************** (20.8)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (17.8)
limited use
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes,
your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFJ

I guess i'm some kind of ambivert