Cognitive Processes | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Processes

@Von hose: Do you want him to respond immediately or save that for later, seriously I wouldn't dump that much information on anyone at once with out being there to explain every step of the way and answering questions. Not being a jerk, just noting that's a lot of information to take in at once :D

I wouldn't put to much baring on these particular test results, seriously it's the most popular quiz but it really isn't too helpful in the long term, I've this test enough over the course of the past two years to know that this test only measures functions according to how much YOU know about them, not only that but I've also noticed that when you use a function more in a short period of time before taking this particular test, the results usually have bias toward those functions. That being said, this test isn't that great for typing someone, at all. It's good for measuring function use for the respective month, it's excellent for that, but having seen this test as much as I have, I wouldn't dare type someone off of it base on personal experience, but alas, no test is accurate, and it should be noted.

Results page said:
Validity and Reliability of Results
As of October 2005, over 3000 people have taken this cognitive assessment. There are many ways to validate an assessment. A common statistical method called factor analysis confirms there are eight distinct cognitive categories (all items in the assessment that tap into the same cognitive process have a correlation of at least r=0.2 and most have r=0.4 to r=0.6.) Furthermore, people who have taken this assessment and reported their 4-letter type code have received results that matched their type code 75% to 80% of the time.

Like SH said, this test variates quite a bit. I've retaken it every few months and I get a different result just about every time. I've tested as all four INXX types.

You aren't the first person to argue that I'm an INFP and it isn't improbable that I am. However, I have never met an INFP who thinks in the same fashion that I do but I have met many, many INFJs who do.

I took the test again:

Se 14.9 unused
Si 21.9 limited use
Ne 39.4 excellent use
Ni 29.0 average use
Te 34.0 good use
Ti 40.1 excellent use
Fe 28.9 average use
Fi 32.2 good use

Closest Match: INTP
Could be work related. I've been debating a lot lately too. *shrug*
For comparisson, here's the results of my first run-through:

Se 26.4 average use
Si 22.3 limited use
Ne 28.7 average use
Ni 21.4 limited use
Te 32.3 good use
Ti 32.5 good use
Fe 40.4 excellent use
Fi 36.6 excellent use

Now, I'll directly compare the results:

___1st__2nd__Change
Se
26.4 14.9 -11.5
Si 22.3 21.9 - 0.4
Ne 28.7 39.4 +10.7
Ni 21.4 29.0 + 7.6
Te 32.3 34.0 + 1.7
Ti 32.5 40.1 + 7.6
Fe 40.4 28.9 -11.5
Fi 36.6 32.2 - 4.4

Weirdness.
Se and Fe had the biggest drops. Ne had the biggest gain. My introverted functions seem to be the most stable. I really can't pull many conclusions from this; my brain's tired now.

...I wouldn't put to much baring on these particular test results...

True. Any self assessment test is going to have a wide margin of variance.

However, this test and others like it seem to do a fairly good job of separating the introverted and extroverted function pairs. Something as simple as having dominance in the functions of a type that is commonly mistyped can make the difference in clarifying.

That's all I'm saying. I'd consider this test, and the several other somewhat solid MBTI and Cognitive Function tests to be most effective as a combined gestalt, and only then to point people in the direction of their own personal decision. This stuff is primarily conjecture anyway.

My various cognitive function results have pointed at me being an ENFJ, INFJ, or possibly even an ISFP. My results from various MBTI style tests have indicated ENFP, INFJ, and ENFJ. I think I even got an INFP once. The middle ground on all of them is INFJ and ENFJ, especially considering how weak my Ne, Si, and Te are in all of the cognitive tests. From there, it took a lot of pondering for me to decide that I use Ni before I use Fe, and Ti before Se. As much as I may prefer to think of myself an ENFJ (heh also indicated from a quiz), according to the way this works, I'm an INFJ. It took a lot for me to come to that conclusion, because like Satya and several others here, I have some rather evenly developed function pairs.

I offer my insights on using these cognitive function tests to help anyone who might be ambiguous about their type. As a supplementary tool, these tests can help a great deal if someone has rather inconsistant, but borderline results on the straight MBTI oriented tests.

Consider picking out the dominant pair from each function, like this...

I took the test again:

Se 14.9 unused
Si 21.9 limited use
Ne 39.4 excellent use
Ni 29.0 average use
Te 34.0 good use
Ti 40.1 excellent use
Fe 28.9 average use
Fi 32.2 good use

Se 26.4 average use
Si 22.3 limited use
Ne 28.7 average use
Ni 21.4 limited use
Te 32.3 good use
Ti 32.5 good use
Fe 40.4 excellent use
Fi 36.6 excellent use

Now, I'll directly compare the results:

___1st__2nd__Change
Se
26.4 14.9 -11.5
Si 22.3 21.9 - 0.4
Ne 28.7 39.4 +10.7

Ni 21.4 29.0 + 7.6
Te 32.3 34.0 + 1.7
Ti 32.5 40.1 + 7.6
Fe 40.4 28.9 -11.5
Fi 36.6 32.2 - 4.4

Weirdness.
Se and Fe had the biggest drops. Ne had the biggest gain. My introverted functions seem to be the most stable. I really can't pull many conclusions from this; my brain's tired now.

...and suddenly the pattern emerges. You're likely either an Ne Fi (ENFP), or an Fi Ne (INFP).

I'd have to go with INFP from your averaged numbers combined with your INFJ results on the MBTI.

___1st__2nd__Average
Se
26.4 14.9 20<
Si 22.3 21.9 22
Ne 28.7 39.4 34

Ni 21.4 29.0 25<
Te 32.3 34.0 33
Ti 32.5 40.1 35
Fe 40.4 28.9 34
Fi 36.6 32.2 34

Your Fe/Ti and Te/Fi results are statistically identical, but your Ni/Se pair is your lowest function by far. This would rule out the INFJ / ENFJ types. But because the MBTI picks you out as having dominance in NF types, as well as introversion, the INFP is the likely fit. Though, it would be a very ambiverted fit with ENFP.

Introverted functions would likely be the most stable because those are the internal functions that are relative to themselves. Extroverted functions apply to the world outside us, and may be subject to comparison as the world changes. Now that you mention it, my introverted functions were slightly more stable than my extroverted functions. Good observation. Maybe there is a pattern to this. Another possibility could include that an introvert will have more stable introverted functions and vice versa, and this could be another indication tool for people who are ambigious about their ambiversion dominance. Then again, it may be blind chance, or more evidence of how 'gummy' these cognitive function and corresponding personality type theories are, heh.

Last edited:
Yeah, its difficult to tell what his judgement axis is but his perception axis is clearly Ne/Si (as you pointed out)i -- so therefore NP, and he doesnt seem at all like an NT (It's not hard to differentiate an NTP with an NF). So i'd say you're about right. It's also possible that since Milon believes he is an INFJ, he is more likely to choose qualities that fit in with the Fe/Ti judgement axis.

Of each pair of basic functions, your INFJ functions win.

The test thinks i'm an INTP

extraverted Sensing (Se) *************************** (27.2)
average use

introverted Sensing (Si) ************ (12.8)
unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.3)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41.5)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32.2)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43.5)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29.1)
average use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************ (24)
limited use

Your pairs match up with the order in which they are assumed to group in each type. The spread of your Ni/Se is greater than your Fe/Ti, which implies you're more of a J than P. Your introverted functions have more weight. Put it all together, and you're an INFJ. Pretty simple once you apply the MBTI splitting logic to the results.

The dominance of each pair in its own basic function is more important than anything with this quiz. It measures strength of functions not the order of functions. It should be indexed with MBTI results. If there is a basic agreement, like yours, then go with the MBTI. If there is a huge shift, like an INFJ getting Ne, Fi, Te, and Si as their dominant functions, then consider the MBTI to have mistyped you.

I consider this quiz a simple proof for the MBTI's potential to mistype, not a lot more.

Last edited:
It's pointing out something I've always known. I shift from periods of Ni Fe to periods of Ne Ti and back again.

Is it possible that you're going from Ni + Fe to Ni + Fe + Ti, which looks a lot like Ne Ti to the tests when you're in combined mode? You might be less of an INTP or INFP and more of an INFJ using normal or 'high' capacity respectively.

Is it possible that you're going from Ni + Fe to Ni + Fe + Ti, which looks a lot like Ne Ti to the tests when you're in combined mode? You might be less of an INTP or INFP and more of an INFJ using normal or 'high' capacity respectively.

So you are saying that an INFJ at "higher capacity" is like an INTP?

But mental retardation is intellectual dissability, and if the T function is 0 wouldnt that propose retardation?
Jung used the cognitive functions to study normal, psychologically healthy human beings.

0 doesn't mean mental retardation. It just means the internal thinking is on the lower end of the average person. :3

Jung used the cognitive functions to study normal, psychologically healthy human beings.

0 doesn't mean mental retardation. It just means the internal thinking is on the lower end of the average person. :3

Yes I see that but ultimately the thinking function reflects the intellect and ability to cognition in a logical way. So if the T would be 0 it is presumably like a unaware being, maybe even mental retardation (as it means unability to pursue cognition of that sort) if you see what I mean?

So you are saying that an INFJ at "higher capacity" is like an INTP?

Not exactly. I'm saying that at 'higher capacity' an INFJ can appear like an INTP, INFP, or INTJ on paper. We're still very much Ni and Fe, but when we add our Ti to the pool we can cause a Te effect, as well as an Fi effect, giving us higher self assessment results in those areas than we might actually have. If we Fe strongly and we develop a strong Ti, it can cause us to use both at the same time to justify and enhance one another. We can apply our Fe's Extraversion through our Ti's Thinking to create a Te effect, and inverse for an Fi effect, for the purposes of answering the questions on the tests. Both are reasoning functions and between them contain introverted and extroverted functions. Throw our Ni into the mix and things can get muddy. Our perception of our own cpacities in these very specific regards can be multiplied by our ability to succed in these areas through double effort, again making self assessment less reliable for those of us who have well rounded function development.

For example, a few Te questions from http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html that can be mimiced by Ni, Fe, and Ti well enough to cause self assessment answers to seem correct.

1. notice sequential order
notice when something is not functioning right (Ti for the logical portion and Fe for how things should be)
follow a straight line of reasoning (Ti for the reasoning, but Ni for a direct to the point capacity)

2. trust empirical thinking
conform thinking to what is observed as measurable fact
(Ti grasp the concepts and adjust Fe on how things should be)
challenge someone’s thinking based on the logic clearly before you two (Fe to try to convince someone of how the world should be and Ti to do so through the vehicle of logic)
lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made (Ti to reasonably justify what our Fe had us do)

3. use control method
sequence actions and organize time for optimal efficiency (Ti to help others make the world how Fe says it should be)
control impulses and compartmentalize personal feelings and emotional reactions (Fe feels that we should keep ourselves under control and leans on Ti to provide solutions)
structure and organize data and ideas in an easy-to-follow format (Fe considers others first, and Ti is good with the little details that are important to us, while Fe enjoys sharing how things should be)

4. create objective procedures
create a step-by-step procedure for people to complete a specific complex task
(Fe considers others first, and Ti is good with the little details that are important to us, while Fe enjoys sharing how things should be)

5. sustain management strategy
establish a method for others to successfully attain goals and objectives
(Fe considers others first, and Ti is good with the little details that are important to us, while Fe enjoys sharing how things should be)
organize and monitor people and things to work efficiently and productively (Fe considers others first, and Ti is good with the little details that are important to us, while Fe enjoys sharing how things should be)

While these things can certainly seem to be appropriate for us when we are at Fe + Ti mode, the test is trying to accurately measure an entirely different function - Te - which is much better suited to do all of these things by itself.

To combine Ti + Fe to create Fi is the same method inverted. Fe dominance plus Ti introversion can equate to an Fi copycat. This can give us very solid scores in Te and Fi, implying that we are INTJs or INFPs.

When we have a solid Se, the same can happen with Ni creating the effect of Ne and Si, to imply that we are INTPs or INFPs.

At the same time we are developing some copy cat functions and raising our scores, we're going to have one pair of similar functions - except when appearing as an INFP - and thus make the type more solid on paper with respect to the test results.

We INFJs might be able to do some of the things that an INTJ, INFP, or INTP is well suited for when we are in this state, but how we achieve some of these things are almost diametrically opposite. This is the real difference between the actual MBTI type and the results of a cognitive function test. The MBTI type is intended to indicate someone's personality preferences by identifying the heirarchy of their cognitive functions. We might be able to perform as well as one of these other types in certain capacities, but we will always give precedence to Ni, then Fe, then Ti, then Se... etc. When an individual is placed in a situation where any of their functions disagree, they will choose which has priority from their type heirarchy, and the introverted and extroverted functions will become highly apparent. This is where personality truly comes into play. An INTP will not give Ni preference over Ti. An INTJ will not give Fe preference over Te. An INFP will not give Fe or even Se preference over Ne.

Unfortunately, as of yet, the only way to assess each of the specific function pairs is through performance and capacity in activities governed by the specific functions. This is the gray area in the cognitive function self assessment tests. But, it is a fairly good counter against the MBTI self assessment gray areas. The trouble spots don't seem to overlap to a large degree, and when the results are combined, an individual can begin to determine their cognitive function heirarchy, and thus which MBTI type they are.

The four basic cogntive function pairs are designed to cover almost anything. That's essentially the point to Jung's theory. The reason for deconstructing the function pairs was to figure out how each individual covers almost anything, and what those differences imply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faye
Yes I see that but ultimately the thinking function reflects the intellect and ability to cognition in a logical way. So if the T would be 0 it is presumably like a unaware being, maybe even mental retardation (as it means unability to pursue cognition of that sort) if you see what I mean?
I see what you mean but you're jumping to conclusions.

Jung studied psychologically healthy people so, pretty much, the MBTI only applies to psychologically healthy people.

And I don't think your Ti is that low. Based on the way you're analyzing the situation and your past posts, your Ti is probably way higher than you give it credit for being.

Juss sayin'.

I came off as INTJ on this, and its not uncommon for me to go into INFP mode too. I don't understand the intricacies of the typologies the way that some people on here do, but I'm still fairly certain that I am INFJ.

If T is zero on this quiz, it means that you didn't choose any responses on the test that are tied to the results for T functions. That's all.

If a test asks you if you like the color orange, the flavor of fruit, round things, and Vitamin C and you answer yes to all four, the result is likely going to tell you that you like oranges. Shocking. If you answer no to all of those questions, the results will probably tell you that you don't like oranges. Whether you do or don't like oranges, scoring zero on four self assessment questions doesn't mean you can't taste oranges. It just means your preferences aren't inclined toward oranges with respect to what the test was asking about. You're the one who has to decide whether or not you like them and if you want to eat them - not the test.

If T is zero on this quiz, it means that you didn't choose any responses on the test that are tied to the results for T functions. That's all.

If a test asks you if you like the color orange, the flavor of fruit, round things, and Vitamin C and you answer yes to all four, the result is likely going to tell you that you like oranges. Shocking. If you answer no to all of those questions, the results will probably tell you that you don't like oranges. Whether you do or don't like oranges, scoring zero on four self assessment questions doesn't mean you can't taste oranges. It just means your preferences aren't inclined toward oranges with respect to what the test was asking about. You're the one who has to decide whether or not you like them and if you want to eat them - not the test.

Cool analogy!

Thanks for the insight Von. I'll give it an honest consideration, but I find I've become rather attached to the idea that I'm an INFJ. :lol:

Having said that, I feel that I have a very poor grasp of the cognitive processes, and even MBTI in general. This is an unusual experience for me - I'm very used to picking up abstract, complex theories easily. I've read a bit on the subject, but it's just not clicking. Not only that, but many of the MBTI terms are multiple meaning words. Take 'intuition' - it can mean the brain's ability to jump to the answer without working through the process and not know what path it took to get there. 'Intuition' can also be used to mean a more mystical or spiritual access to knowledge that doesn't have a "rational" source. The same could be said of Thinking (take note, PristineGirl!), Judging, Introvert - maybe all the MBTI terms.

Can someone point me to a good resource where I can get this all straightened out? Or maybe Von should just write a book for us. :wink:

One last interesting tid bit. I was at the local Employment Resource Centre a while ago, and one thing they had me do was another MBTI assessment. According to the test administrator, Introverts typically score all over the place across multiple testings. Apparently Extroverts are easier to pinpoint. I've gotten a different MBTI result nearly every time I took the test!

The meaning of the terms often differ from the common use of them. "Preference" for example is more of a natural inclination than a concious preference.

This site is a great one Milon: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/

and this one has great descriptions from the horses mouth, in each types style/language; http://www.bestfittype.com/isfp.html

They're all Jungian theories. I think you should start by understanding his other theories and what-not. Having a full understanding of the cognitive processes, Anima, Animus, archetypes, Ego, Id, Superego, anything that is Jungian psychology is what you have to know to fully understand everything about the MBTI. It's a lot of information but it's actually really interesting to read up on. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :3

But mental retardation is intellectual dissability, and if the T function is 0 wouldnt that propose retardation?
MBTI measures preference not ability. There are quite a few studies that show that amongst the gifted populations, there is a near equal distribution of T and F types.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCR/is_4_37/ai_112720426/pg_3?tag=content;col1

http://www.sengifted.org/articles_social/Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes.shtml

Of course this doesnt really answer your question. I think a person who has prefers T in all situations would be well, like her:

Seven%2520of%2520nine.jpg

Or they would have aspergers/autism. I can't say what a 100% F would be. Probably some kind of emotional cuddly mess -- whether its a smart one would remain to be seen i guess.

Last edited: