Cognitive Processes | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Processes

Te naturally pairs with Fi, and vice versa.
Fe naturally pairs with Ti, and vice versa.

These two pairs are the reasoning core of any MBTI type, whether dominant or secondary.

How would you interpret function test results that rate Ti higher than Te and Fi higher than Fe?

How would you interpret function test results that rate Ti higher than Te and Fi higher than Fe?

Simple.

The MBTI is not perfectly correct.

The MBTI is based on the work of Jung, who broke cognitive processes into 16 pairs. The MBTI presumes that everyone has to have one dominant and one secondary, and that all others follow suit in a pattern.

Clearly, this is not the case, unless the self assessment test is terribly inaccurate or nearly all of us have submitted user error.

The simple fact of the matter is that human beings develop cognitive functions independently of one another. Usually, there is some degree of pattern to the process, which gives it a fair amount of weight when describing personality type. But, everyone is an individual, and the theory is by no means ironclad. It's just a way to get into the ballpark of how someone thinks. If this theory were infallible, it would be standard practice to take an MBTI every time you visited a counselor, psychiatrist, or psychologist, and again every year to evaluate any changes.

The only way to make the MBTI perfectly accurate would be to create 256 types, with every combination of cognitive process order possible.

Okay, I just wanted to make sure you were open to that.

Very much so.

I'd consider myself a bit of an expert on how the MBTI works, and what it implies, but I by no means consider it anything other than a ballpark indicator, which is what it was intended for.

While my own results seem to fit the mold for an ENFJ (and I am better described by ENFJ by some authors), there are still a few inconsistencies. Te should be my weakest function. However, for all intents, we can chalk less than a percent of difference up to test variance.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************************* (43.3)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.1)
excellent use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.1)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.9)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.5)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (17.7)
limited use

Summary Analysis of Profile

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFJ

I am for all intents a textbook ENFJ according to the cognitive function theories.

However, for years, I kept testing as ENFP when I took the MBTI, which didn't describe me very well at all unless I was quite stressed. The cognitive function pair orders for ENFP are Ne, Fi, Te, and Si. These are clearly my weakest functions. Recently, I have begun to test as an INFJ, which does seem a lot more like me than not, especially when other factors are considered. Even if we account a +/-5% test variance, this result could agree with INFJ. Ni and Fe are 4% difference, and Ti and Se are 0%.

However, this simply means that I am a lot like an INFJ and a lot like an ENFJ. I'm an 'ambivert' as someone has coined the phrase... and my pathetic Si can't recall who. When I have to pick one, I pick INFJ primarily because I believe I prefer to trust my Ni more than my Fe, also because I've read just a few more accurate descriptions of INFJ than ENFJ, and partly because it makes me much more unique and cool to be one of the 0.5% of the male population that is INFJ. Both of these descriptions do an equivalent job of describing me, so I choose the INFJ description to indicate myself.

The MBTI is far less accurate of an indicator than people give it credit, but it gets people into the ballpark. However, due to the way the MBTI is designed, a misread on the P and J function is very common. Introvert and Extrovert misreads are almost as common.

Lastly, keep in mind that this test is measuring the strength of your cognitive functions (with very few questions), and not the order in which you use them. The MBTI is not designed to show you how well you use your functions. It is designed to indicate the order in which you most likely use them.

In my example, I could be an INFJ, using Ni first, Fe second, Ti third, and Se last. I could also have a more developed Fe than an Ni. That doesn't mean my mind reflexively uses Fe first. Anyone who is having trouble with minor discrepancies in these results needs to realize that it may not change your MBTI type. Anyone with gigantic discrepencies needs to consider the possibility that your MBTI results were misread due to the way the MBTI breaks down preferences.

Lastly, all of these things are simple self assessment tests, and do not define you. At best, they give an indication of you in a very basic sense, such as defining you as the color 'blue', even though there are literally millions of different shades, hues, and values of 'blue' and at some point 'blue' becomes more 'green' or 'purple' than not. You are far more interesting and unique than the MBTI can ever describe. And how you choose to indicate to people what type you are is ultimately up to you.

Me? I'm an INFJ/ENFJ (Ni/Fe Ti/Se) Ambiverted Meat Popsicle with a 155 IQ and Chaotic Good Tendencies.

...but the short version is "I'm an INFJ".

This test result agrees! Therefore it must be true! *chuckle*

CPR-VH.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: grt$5vb and arbygil
HAHAHA I DO THE SAME with economics too, it's just a bunch of diagrams that don't say a thing haha. You have me smiling haha because I am actually studying economics as we speak *sigh* xD The memory is an advantage actually, I once heard it is called a photographic memory although I'm not sure which memory would be the correct one. Maybe we have well developed Si in that case ? :)

Heh. Economics didn't really make sense until after I started paying more attention to the news and getting into the politics of it, which gave the concepts some context. Maybe try that. At the very least it would give it some more meaning and thus making it easier to remember.

I don't think Si is proportional to memory though, just as Ti or Te isn't proportional to intelligence. I was just reading a description which says that Si is responsible for comparing new experiences to past experiences. It's still related I guess since Si would be useless without memory. :)

Me? I'm an INFJ/ENFJ (Ni/Fe Ti/Se) Ambiverted Meat Popsicle with a 155 IQ and Chaotic Good Tendencies.

A Fifth Element and D&D reference in the same sentence = you win the Universe.

Last edited:
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) **************** (16.7)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.8)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.9)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************************(45.2)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************* (19.7)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************* (21.7)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************************** (40.3)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************** (35.9)
good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INFP

extraverted Sensing (Se) *********** (11.4)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ************ (12.6)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************** (34)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.9)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.7)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************************** (47.9)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************* (25.5)
average use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ

edit: there's also this one --
2681d1225529437-new-conginitive-personality-test-.jpg

Last edited:
Functions can change as you use them.

That is the biggest error with MBTI, as someone said already it is not perfectly correct.

The test thinks i'm an INTP

extraverted Sensing (Se) *************************** (27.2)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************ (12.8)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.3)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41.5)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32.2)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29.1)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************ (24)
limited use

extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************************** (34.4)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.7)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************** (15.8)
unused
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************** (50.7)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************** (21)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37.4)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.2)
good use

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

Perceiving–how we focus our attention and gather information
Cognitive Process Basic (Passive) Use Developed (Active) Use extraverted Sensing (Se) Notice sensory data in the environment. Trust your instincts and take action relevant to the moment and current context. introverted Sensing (Si) Recall tangible data and experiences. Stabilize a situation by comparing it to what is expected, known and reliable. extraverted Intuiting (Ne) Notice abstract patterns as they emerge. Shift a situation's dynamics and explore imaginative potential possibilities. introverted Intuiting (Ni) Receive "ah-ha" insights and realizations. Persue a greater level of awareness to transform who you are and how you think.
Judging–how we organize our experiences and make decisions
Cognitive Process Basic (Passive) Use Developed (Active) Use extraverted Thinking (Te) Follow steps, points and time tables. Create structure, reason by measures and evidence, and implement complex plans. introverted Thinking (Ti) Adhere to definitions and impersonal principles. Analyze a problem using a framework, and find an angle or leverage by which to solve it. extraverted Feeling (Fe) Honor others' needs and preferences. Connect with people by sharing values and taking on their needs as yours. introverted Feeling (Fi) Adhere to personal beliefs about what's important. Evalute situations and choose what you believe is congruent with your personal identity.

Your Cognitive Development Profile

The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************ (12.1) unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************************* (45) excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************** (23.6) limited use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************** (27.4) average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32.5) good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.3) good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.9) good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************** (32.4) good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ISFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Sensing (Si): Stabilizing with a predictable standard. Carefully comparing a situation to the customary ways you’ve come to rely on. Checking with past experiences. Stabilizing a situation and invest for future security.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ESFJ, or ISTJ

Well, this is certainly interesting. After reading what the site "bestfittype.com" said about INTJ and ISFJ and ISTJ, I'm pretty sure I think like an INTJ, I got that twice in two different tests, but I truly do have THESE cognitive functions... I'm surprised. It says I'm supposed to have something else. So, I have Si Fe instead of Ni Te... I don't get this anymore. Am I allowed to have Si Fe and yet think like an INTJ, or something is wrong somewhere?

Last edited:
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************* (21.4)
limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.2)
average use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************************** (42.6)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.2)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************** (20.1)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.3)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.3)
limited use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.7)
good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INFP

Uh oh. :mcute:

Last edited:
That is *extremely* similar to the results I used to get on that test.

I decided to give this quiz another go after enough time to forget my former answers. I decided to post these to illustrate the gray area of self assessment test results. Only a few points of difference can have a large effect on the results.

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INFJ, or ESFP

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.2)
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.1)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.3)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************************** (44.5)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************** (18.2)
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************** (27.2)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************** (38.4)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.3)

Lead (Dominant) Process

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

Here are all of the functions in order, for better comparison.

Set 1: "ENFJ"

Set 2: "INFJ"

Interspersed and in order for direct comparison.
While the scores changed, the orders didn't change much. However, they actually 'flipped' to accomodate the change from ENFJ to INFJ. This is fascinating to me, as it implies that cognitive function pairs do reorder themselves to accommodate the dominant and secondary pairs.

Last edited:
The game's up.

It's pointing out something I've always known. I shift from periods of Ni Fe to periods of Ne Ti and back again. As a result, the two personality results I most commonly get are INFJ and INTP. I go by my childhood type.

Although recently the Ni and Ne seem to have been conflicting with each other. It makes me pretty sure the theory is imperfect.

Last edited:
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************* (21.4)
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.2)

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************************** (42.6)

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.2)

extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************** (20.1)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.3)

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.3)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.7)

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INFP

Uh oh. :mcute:
This actually makes a lot of sense Satya. You do love to debate, the NTP's favorite game. To INTPs and ENTPs, it is simply an act of assessing all the options. To most other types, it can come across as argumentative and in some cases contentious. Also, you seem to like to champion the causes of the downtrodden, an NFP trait. In all of these cases, your Ne is undeniable. When the Ni types here say "It's like this", you're usually quick to respond with "but what about this? or this? or that?" The Ni types come up with a very solid single answer. You are great at developing many plausible answers, which is much more of an Ne trait.

I'm not sure how the quiz results decided that your Ne (42.6) was secondary to your Ti (37.3). It looks very clearly like your pattern is Ne, Ti, Fi, Si, which is not possible according to the typing process. Since your Fi function is stronger than your Si function, the test tool is likely counting your Fe as your inferior function for a set of Ne, Ti, Fe, and Si. But, because Fe is so low comparatively, it is reordering them into Ti, Ne, Si, and Fe because Ti and Fe are partners, as are Ne and Si.

In any order your dominant pair in each functions (N, S, F, and T) are likely those mentioned above according to the quiz results. This gives the following possibilities ENTP, INTP, ISFJ, and ESFJ.

If we assume that your primary functions are Te and Fi instead of those mentioned, (which is not a stretch given the similarity in your Fi/Ti vs Fe/Te) this gives the function pairs of Ne, Fi, Te, and Si precedence. In which case you would be an INFP, ENFP, ISTJ, or ESTJ.

Honestly, I believe you to be an INFP with a very strong Ti function, and a very well developed Ne function but you use as a secondary to your Fi reasoning. Your thought processes seem to start with how you feel about a subject (Fi), move to the possibilities surrounding that subject (Ne), which are backed up by your imperical perceptions (Si), and further validated by rationalizations (Te). Remember that the MBTI is based on the work of Jung's order of cognitive thought, which is not an indicator of how well you think, just the order in which you think. More often than not, someone is going to have cognitive functions developed in a very synonymous proportion to that function's order in their cognitive heirarchy. This isn't by any means a rule, just the most common state. In your case, you've developed the back end of your thinking processes almost as well as the front. Lastly, I think your Ti result is so high because a lot of what you Fi is rational and appears to be Ti, likely very tied to your well developed Ti. If this is the case, your Fi and Te results would indicate higher scores and your Ti would be a little lower.

Why could you get an INFJ result if this quiz is accurate?

The MBTI measures each basic function preference individually, rather than attempting to assess each individual cognitive function pair, then assumes them all to fall into place as most people have polarized development in them. You however, have a very good development of all of your functions, and great development in both of your introverted reasoning functions. Even your lesser pairs are solid. This makes you difficult to read with the MBTI because it measures preferences on an axis that do not include the function pairs, instead assessing Introvert/Extrovert, iNtuitive/Sensing, Feeling/Thinking, and Judging/Percieving. It then assumes that the results indicate that the Introvert/Extrovert result is part of your dominant core function (N/S or F/T). From there, the MBTI assumes that the Judging/Percieving result is tied to your extraverted core function (N/S or F/T). Therefore, if you indicate a preference toward I, N, F, and J, the assumption is that the dominant core function is introverted and the judging function is extraverted. In this case it would assume Ni and Fe respectively. ENFJ would assume that the dominant core function was extraverted as well as the judging function, making them the same - Fe and Ni respectively. However, when the results are close or there is a strong function in the mix, these assumptions can produce a result of the opposite function pairs. For example, an MBTI result of INFJ implies the function pairs Ni and Fe. But, the MBTI results only imply a preference toward Introversion, iNtuition, Feeling, and the Feeling function (assumed to be an extroverted function). INFPs are Fi and Ne, which is also a preference toward Introversion and Feeling, with iNtuition preferred over Sensing, but is in essence the exact opposite result. The MBTI commonly makes this mistake with people who have a strong function that does not fit into the mold, causing a fair degree of confusion. Most of the major MBTI testing centers are aware of this and usually know when to look for these types of inconsistancies. In your case I believe your strong Ti is throwing off the assumed pattern, and is a result of your Fi and Te combining to 'cast a shadow' of a much larger Ti than you actually have.

The MBTI would likely interpret your results on the specific function test above as follows:

Of each core set (N, S, F, and T) of results, you have 3 dominant introverted pairs - Fi, Si, and Ti. The MBTI is likely going to assign you an I, probably a moderate to strong one.

Your N clearly beats your S. No debates here. The MBTI would assign you an N in the moderate to strong categories.

Of your judging pairs (F and T), they look like they could be very close depending on the test, and your mood when you take it. The MBTI could lean you toward F, likely in the slight range, depending on question wording.

In this test result, you have a weight of 71 in your four Judging functions (Fi, Fe, Ti, and Te), as opposed to 66.8 in your Perceiving functions (Ni, Ne, Si, and Se), showing a preference toward your judging function. The MBTI will likely interpret that as a lean toward J, in the slight to moderate range. Also, if you are an INFP your dominant function would be Fi, or as an INTP it would be Ti (despite the extremely high Ne result on this test) which is a judging function. Therefore, the MBTI is squeezed into assuming that your dominant function is Fe because the J/P function is assumed to be an extraverted function, which then cannot be tied to the dominant introverted function.

If those were the case in your MBTI results, then we've tracked down another instance of the MBTI being an inaccurate measure of the cognitive functions in a less than typical individual.

Clearly, you qualify as a less than typical individual, heh.

I had nearly the same thing happen to me.

The MBTI typed me as a borderline ENFP for years. When I recently started getting borderline INFJ results, I decided to delve deeper into the materials on the subject. According to the theory, it would be nigh impossible to suddenly switch all of my main function pairs, yet the MBTI was doing that very thing. Because this made no sense to me, I learned a great deal about all of the function pairs and what the MBTI is trying to guess at when attempting to assess them. The MBTI is a mostly accurate tool. Most of the people who take it are typed accurately because most people have polarized cognitive functions. According to Jung, typical people develop one of each N, S, F, and T, (while N/S and F/T are each balanced with an introverted and extroverted partner), but then generally neglect the opposites of each of these functions. However, rare individuals (like ourselves) develop more of their lesser cognitive functions. The MBTI is not well equipped to type people like us because of the way it is designed.

After researching the definitions of each particular function pair in depth, it became apparent to me that Ne, Te, and Si were not my strong suits, but I did have a strong Fi. I was pretty sure my Fe was the stronger than my Fi, but had no tool to measure specific cognitive processes at the time. Realizing through internal deduction that my dominant pairs were Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se, I decided that am actually an INFJ (because I tend to use my functions in that order, as opposed to Fe, Ni, Se, then Ti which would make me an ENFJ ) and realized that the MBTI had mistyped me as ENFP for the same reasons I mentioned for your being mistyped. In your case, you have a strong Ti throwing off the pattern, just as I have a solid Fi throwing off mine. It is highly likely that my Fe and Ti are combining to form the impression of a much larger Fi than I actually have - taking the introverted reasoning of my Ti and applying it to the feeling reasoning of my secondary Fe.

To the MBTI my preferences looked like iNtuitive Feeling with the stronger function being extraverted, and a preference toward the iNtuitive function. The MBTI interpreted this as Ne with Fi. However, it is actually Ni with Fe. The MBTI got my iNtuition preference right, my Feeling preference right, and was even correct that my iNtuitive function was my dominant. However, because my judging function is extraverted Feeling, it assumed that my dominant function is extraverted and split the wrong way, just like it seems to have split the wrong way with you, due to the nature of how it compiles its results.

Many months after I made this deduction (with the help of some very smart people I know personally and a few online at various MBTI sites, along with a lot of research), I found quizzes like this one that indicate the rather drastic lean I have toward Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se, along with a well developed Fi. My theories have been verified, not only with respect to myself, but how and why the MBTI can mistype people. Your findings seem to verify my hypothesis that this particular test has a tendency to point out a 'ghost' version of the two preferred Judging functions that is rather strong in certain people, which is something the MBTI could be picking up on as well, and is likely the most specific reason for the mistype split.

Last edited: