Cognitive Processes | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Processes

Yeah, I was about to say....do NOT confuse T functions with intelligence. The difference between T and F is about HOW you approach analyzing something and with WHAT PURPOSE.

Basically, an F person finds solutions for problems in a way that deals with humanity, people, social stuff like that....basically, an F will approach a problem with everyone's interest in mind; how can this make everyone happy?

T, on the other hand, will focus on the best solution of the problem without keeping people's interests as a priority. That's why people associate it with logic; it's a way to objectively solve a problem or issue; how will this work best?

Neither is BETTER; they are just different. There are certain situations where you need to take an F standpoint, and others where it's better to be able to use T. Both can be extremely practical and solid; both can be highly idealistic. It's best to be balanced with them because of this, but if you're not balanced that doesn't mean you're dumb or can't think.

Yea I just think it is strange because either should be better. Just look at Mohican, he is a warm person with love of others in mind even though he is a T? So how can this be explained ? Do people who are F make decitions without humans best interest at times too?

You are aware that he has Fi?

Everyone has a thinking and feeling function, it's just your order of preference.

Thanks for explaining this guys. It's a bit clearer now.

Exactly as SH says. The more balanced the person, the easier it will be for them to use both T and F functions whenever they need it.

But yeah, I really dislike that whole T stereotype. It was one of the things that irritated me about typologyc -- it felt as if there was this sort of idea that T's are better at debating and are smarter because they are T (especially NT's). Now, I know there are some smart Ts, and I know that not all of them felt this way, but...

I have a highly developed Ti and an aggressively competitive Se. I was about ready to kick some of their holier-than-thou NT asses around the intellectual block, especially when I could tell that some of them were trying to pull half-formed info around and presenting it like it was fact, or giving me that "science is all-knowing and totally concrete!" thing (which is a load of bull). I ain't dumb, and just because I'm an F doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about; if I'm saying something, you bet your ass that half the time I can back it up better than most of those delusional little shits.

[/rant] Had to get that off my chest.

I love you.:hug:

I have a clearer understanding now too.

Although sorry for rambling on haha but I feel that I have to ask.

Are there those who have like: Si Te Ti Se, Where N and F are not present? xD

We all "have" all eight functions. MBTI is too rigid IMO, because it only lists the top four, and says that those top four must include one of each type of function. In reality, it seems most people exercise both variants of one or two functions more than the others. For example, both of my T functions are stronger than either of my F functions, though according to MBTI, my Fi should be stronger than my Ti if I am an INTJ. It's not unlikely that there are also people with only S and T functions in the top four. I've seen the same pattern for NF and NT types already.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Both of my N functions are better than either of my S functions, apparently, so I could believe that.

both of my N functions are stronger than my S functions and both of my F functions are stronger than my T functions...does that mean i'm too much of an idealist? lol

Yea thats what I though ^^ Because then my theory holds to some extent as I believe me to have S, N and F while no T. Also is it possible to be someone who has 100 % of Feeling but still 100 % of Thinking as well?

Or does this initially make up an ambivert ? :m171:

Last edited:
No.

It's just as easy to be a T idealist, actually.

I've met the poster-child of INTJ at my school here. According to him, we should return to an aristocratic society, breed according to way to get the best genes and have arranged marriages, and find a way to create logarithms for personality and brain functions so we can directly inject chemicals when people become unbalanced.

Trust me, it don't take an F to be an idealist.

Ni **************************************** 41.9
Ti **************************************** 41.7
Fe ************************************* 33.6
Se ************************************ 33.1

Fi ******************************** 30.7
Ne ******************************* 30.5
Te *********************** 21.6
Si *********** 7.4

I've always considered my Ti and Fe functions almost equals, but my Ti seems to win this time :tongue1:

edit: Is it usual for infjs to have a strong Ti ?

Last edited:
hmmm, yeah i think you're right, because sometimes when my friends are being too idealist, i end up being the one who is practical and snaps them out of it...

I've met the poster-child of INTJ at my school here. According to him, we should return to an aristocratic society, breed according to way to get the best genes and have arranged marriages, and find a way to create logarithms for personality and brain functions so we can directly inject chemicals when people become unbalanced.

JUST DONT READ..

URRGHGHH You have no idea how mad that actually makes me and you say that there is no better or worse type? WHAT KIND OF OUTLOOK IS THAT??!?! (DON'T TELL ME I'M IRRATIONAL NOW). GOSH THAT GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING 'RIGHT'... I MEAN OOOOH CLEARLY YOU MUST SEE THAT without having me labeled subjective? - and useless.

Last edited:
THAT is someone who is very, very T, with a low F.

And that's why you need both of them in order to actually make sense.

Yeah, I was about to say....do NOT confuse T functions with intelligence. The difference between T and F is about HOW you approach analyzing something and with WHAT PURPOSE.

Basically, an F person finds solutions for problems in a way that deals with humanity, people, social stuff like that....basically, an F will approach a problem with everyone's interest in mind; how can this make everyone happy?

You're describing Fe here. Fi focuses much more on the Feeling function of the self. "How can this make me happy?"

T, on the other hand, will focus on the best solution of the problem without keeping people's interests as a priority. That's why people associate it with logic; it's a way to objectively solve a problem or issue; how will this work best?

You're describing Ti here. Te focuses more on the outer world and therefore others by proxy. "How does this relate to everything else, and what is the most logical effect on everyone involved?"

Neither is BETTER; they are just different. There are certain situations where you need to take an F standpoint, and others where it's better to be able to use T. Both can be extremely practical and solid; both can be highly idealistic. It's best to be balanced with them because of this, but if you're not balanced that doesn't mean you're dumb or can't think.

Very true, but keep in mind that there are 4 rational functions, not just 2.

Te naturally pairs with Fi, and vice versa.
Fe naturally pairs with Ti, and vice versa.

These two pairs are the reasoning core of any MBTI type, whether dominant or secondary.

The same is true of perception functions.

Ne naturally pairs with Si, and vice versa.
Se naturally pairs with Ni, and vice versa.

This is why there are only 16 MBTI types, not 64.
[/size]

Last edited:

No doubt that will strike most people as a kind of hyper-T, twisted idealism, and the idealism produced by Thinking is indeed different from that produced by Feeling; but there's a lot of crossover in the results. Fe idealism is about social harmony and universal love. Fi idealism is about universal adherence to certain principles, which might or might not have to do with social harmony. Ti idealism is about theoretical beauty, and is attracted to concepts like the Golden Ratio. Te idealism is about a perfectly efficient world order that mixes the other three types, though often blindly at the expense of Fe idealism. Your example is classic Te idealism, which would most often come from a TJ type.

Reactions: grt$5vb