Cocky Bastards | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Cocky Bastards

I think we need some anti-hero protagonist. That would be more realistic than some of the portrayed "perfect-wise" characters that we see on tv.

Not all hero's are perfect-wise. Some are downright dumb.

spongebob-squarepants-p35.jpg

I HAAATE sponge bob!

Absolutely hate that character. Saw a clip from an episode, and I REFUSED to lay eye on any more, it simply kills my brain.

I HAAATE sponge bob!

Absolutely hate that character. Saw a clip from an episode, and I REFUSED to lay eye on any more, it simply kills my brain.

Whaaaat? I love spongebob! That show is hilarious! Albeit episiodes where spongebob and patrick are abnormally stupid to bother squidward do annoy me.

You would absolutely hate my favorite cartoon, Chowder. He's worse then spongebob, and some.

Reactions: dneecey
There are so many television shows where either the main protagonist or one of the main characters is a guy who is overly arrogant, self-confident, and frequently a know-it-all. Obviously, it is okay for him to be this way because he really is that amazing.

This is completely astranged from reality, yet somehow many people enjoy seeing this and are able to relate to these characters. I wish that television had more humble people on it so that people wouldn't get the idea that having an inflated head is either acceptable or, even worse, normal.

What do you think?
sounds like somthing an ENTP would do. (we are pretty amazing ha ha)

Is it really an inflated head if the character is that amazing?
I don't actually see the problem. People who see this behavior as accptable usually don't get treated well. Unless they really are amazing... in which case people MIGHT forgive them maybe...

As for humble characters... I Think the problem here is the Culture... America doesn't put too much stock in humility... too much entitlement... If you watch Dramas from like say Japan (because that's where half of me is from), this arogant bastard doesn't completely get away with being a jerkface, and most of the time the protagonist is humble and hard working...

This reminds me of the whole love to hate relationship that viewers and shows have. Some characters cocky, arrogant, and down right hated for it, but there still popular.
Every show has a good hero but a great villian will make it a hit.

I can't stand that type of character.
I think since many viewers live vicariously through the characters in shows they perhaps wish they could be arrogant a-holes in real life.

Last edited:
Yelling and screaming - then kissing and hugging?

What bothers me most is the way family members, friends, and co-workers scream and yell and fight with each other on TV shows, calling each other terrible things, etc., and then act like it's normal afterwards. They are still lovers, friends, etc. after ripping each other apart.

Maybe I live on a different planet than others, the INFJ planet maybe, but in my world, when people speak to each other that way, it is usually the last time they EVER speak to each other, or maybe several months of silence if it's close family.

Why is this portrayed as normal?

klutzo

Reactions: Faye
What bothers me most is the way family members, friends, and co-workers scream and yell and fight with each other on TV shows, calling each other terrible things, etc., and then act like it's normal afterwards. They are still lovers, friends, etc. after ripping each other apart.

Maybe I live on a different planet than others, the INFJ planet maybe, but in my world, when people speak to each other that way, it is usually the last time they EVER speak to each other, or maybe several months of silence if it's close family.

klutzo

Yeah, the constant bickering on shows gets old, and isn't the reality I live.
I wouldn't put up with a partner that treated me that way.

So does the premise of the stupid clueless husband and the bitchy demanding wife that is prevalent in so many shows and commercials.
You seen the Yoplait Yogurt commercials were the guy isn't allowed to talk on the phone or look in the fridge?

There are so many television shows where either the main protagonist or one of the main characters is a guy who is overly arrogant, self-confident, and frequently a know-it-all. Obviously, it is okay for him to be this way because he really is that amazing.

This is completely astranged from reality, yet somehow many people enjoy seeing this and are able to relate to these characters. I wish that television had more humble people on it so that people wouldn't get the idea that having an inflated head is either acceptable or, even worse, normal.

What do you think?

well sure, tv is an escape, not meant to depict reality perfectly otherwise it would hold no attraction! i can see why people would like seeing an arrogant, self confident protagonist, as opposed to a more humble one- depending on the storyline it would probably be easier to picture such a character doing more adventurous things, like hunting down a serial killer for example. although it would be the mark of a skilled director and scriptwriter to be able to make a protagonist unconventional and still believable.

klutzo

It's normal for me and for various people I know. Except, of course, things don't ever turn back to 'normal.' The silence,regret, and pain is always there.

Edit: I'd rather not go into it on this thread about 'my' family but if you need further details, I'll gladly tell you in PM.

Also, it's a bit sad but at least I have the comfort and security of having BOTH parents; fighting or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndigoSensor
Could it possibly be due to the fact that society just favors the archetype of the Byronic Hero? I mean, its not just in televison shows, but books as well. I find myself drawn to them because underneath all of that ego and arrogance is an ultra complex web of personality. For example, Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights is a perfect example of this. He has such a malignant personality, but when he reveals his under shell, the words he says, are the most memorable in the book.

Reactions: under skies
Could it possibly be due to the fact that society just favors the archetype of the Byronic Hero?

i think this is exactly it. the ratio of male to female protagonist in western culture is reaffirming the gender conditioning the majority of it's people have received since they were young. most boys are encouraged to be rational, self assured, and competitive, while our culture holds girls to the unrealistic expectations of what has been deemed "attractive" and emotionally available. put blue clothes on a newborn and most mothers even hold them different (this could include bouncing them on their knee, or holding them in the air) than if they were dressed in pink (more coddling, baby talk).

being an infj male and emotional i can relate to the fact that the faults with these ideals is that not everyone falls into these categories so easily or without sacrificing what comes naturally to them.

btw i get all this info from a sociology txt book i am reading (john macionis) so i dont have a link to this info sry :1

I've just recently started watching Lost. I know.. Six seasons too late..
I don't watch much tv and I don't expect for there to be role models there.. but I'd be intrigued if there were a female character with the same personality as Sawyer from Lost.
A female cocky bastard. I'd like to see that character exist.

Whaaaat? I love spongebob! That show is hilarious! Albeit episiodes where spongebob and patrick are abnormally stupid to bother squidward do annoy me.

You would absolutely hate my favorite cartoon, Chowder. He's worse then spongebob, and some.

lol!! well perhaps I saw the clip where there was abnormal stupidity. I just looked up Chowder. Looks kinda like Chicken and Cow...that show was creeeeepy, but I somehow tolerated it when I was a kid. lol

Could it possibly be due to the fact that society just favors the archetype of the Byronic Hero? I mean, its not just in televison shows, but books as well. I find myself drawn to them because underneath all of that ego and arrogance is an ultra complex web of personality. For example, Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights is a perfect example of this. He has such a malignant personality, but when he reveals his under shell, the words he says, are the most memorable in the book.

I think it's this. As for the man/woman thing, there is this double-standard within our society that a man can be really aggressive and arrogant but still demand respect while a woman who does the same is simply a bitch. Not all people support this belief, but a lot do subconsciously. It's like a woman just has to have a soft side underneath all of the coldness, but a man can be 100% brutal and it's just entertainment. "Oh, that's just how he is. *chuckle*"

I'm still not a fan of Heathcliff, though. I find myself responding in the opposite way; I do think he's a very complex character, and that's cool because I love the character development in that book, but I can't forgive him even after that heartwrenching love confession to Catherine. I don't think there is a reasonable excuse for his behavior throughout the rest of the novel. People can suffer without inflicting pain on everyone else around them. (But maybe we, as a society, just don't like goody-goodies. Wuthering Heights or Oliver Twist?)

I HAAATE sponge bob!

SAME. I find him ridiculously annoying.

Last edited:
Keep watching LOST!

ACD,
Boy, are you in for a treat! LOST is my favorite TV show of all time and better than 99.9% of the movies I've seen as well. I am a total Lostie, a true fanatic, still going through withdrawl now that it's over. In fact, I'm ready to die now that I've seen the finale, lol.

There will be a female character who is a lot like Sawyer if you just keep watching. She comes at her cocky attitude from a different place, but it's the same tough facade to cover hurt. She is Hispanic. That is the only clue I'll give out, so I don't ruin it for you.

Enjoy!
klutzo

Reactions: under skies and acd
Hmmm enticing. Thank you for further enabling my Lost addiction with promises of a female cocky bastard.. ::drools::

I was able to pickup and watch Lost just before the last season started, I love that show. Hope you enjoy ACD :)

Reactions: acd