Careers and the key to success for each type | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Careers and the key to success for each type

What is it with some INFJ's liking chemistry?

It is the mystic, "magical" nature of chemistry, and the fact that it actually has a very intuitive side to it. I can't count how many times that when I am working something out I think to myself "this look right, I can't really explain why, but it does", and I am often right with it, and that line of reasoning is acceptable. As opposed to most other sciences where you have to prove every line of reasoning, and back it up with something (of course, that isn't to say chemistry doesn't have the need to back up things, you definitely do. It is just in a less iron-clad manner).

This is the big reason why I focus on organic chemistry. There is no true right or wrong answer to the problems. It is more of a "this is slightly better then the other thing for this subset of reasons", so nothing is really set in stone. It is also rather inexact. When I do experiments, I very often do things that involve not even mesuring out the materials I need, I simply pour stuff out of the bottle. Also, if I spill some, it doesn't matter in the least. Chemistry carries an air of mystery to it that is very appealing to Ni, and since with organic chemistry, and biochemistry, it doesn't have that cold hard impersonal feeling to it, INFJ's can gravitate to it.

Chemistry carries an air of mystery to it that is very appealing to Ni, and since with organic chemistry, and biochemistry, it doesn't have that cold hard impersonal feeling to it, INFJ's can gravitate to it.

That's what I would think about science in general, that it is cold and impersonal but now that you've explained it... it all makes sense now and I can see why one, an INFJ in particular, would love it.

That's what I would think about science in general, that it is cold and impersonal but now that you've explained it... it all makes sense now and I can see why one, an INFJ in particular, would love it.

Yes, I love science as well..that's why I think INFJ's can perform well in the sciences..perfect place for our Ni to be working in.

I was actually thinking of becoming a career counselor =D

I don't see how the bottom of the profile is our "key to success."

I was poking fun at myself; I am in college right now to get my pHd in organic chemistry. Horray for chemists! :D

Oh wow indigo *applause* 20 years and getting your pHd :m105:

I don't see how the bottom of the profile is our "key to success."

If you work on those things, which hinder you, then you can freely go for what you want without them serving as obstacles for you =)

The secret to success for an INTP is learning to:
BE BETTER ORGANIZED, BE PATIENT WITH LESS INTELLIGENT PEOPLE,
AND WORK AT IMPROVING YOUR SOCIAL SKILLS.

Last edited:
HAha okay I'll help you out =)

He was able to see it, but he didn't see 'how' it was supposed to improve their success.

I didn't say anything about the size o_O

He was able to see it, but he didn't see 'how' it was supposed to improve their success.

When you use words like it, there is a risk of CONFUSION unless it is obvious. Therefore it is better to use the proper noun instead.

Because 'it' could have meant 'the profile' or 'the font/size' and I happened to choose the latter...

You guys...

I'm a chemist research scientist. :m142:

I'ma ROCKET SHIP!

13693-Colorful-Rocket-Ship-Launching-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

Last edited:
"Character Actor" is the fourth profession listed under the "Creative" sub-heading. :/

Yea but what makes a 'Character actor' different from an 'actor' then? Because impersonating a character as in charades was what came to my mind when I saw that. I LOVE charades but yea xD...

Yea but what makes a 'Character actor' different from an 'actor' then? Because impersonating a character as in charades was what came to my mind when I saw that. I LOVE charades but yea xD...

I'd say the difference is that character actors play or inhabit different personas with every role, whereas "normal" actors just pretty much play themselves.

I guess you could say the difference is between someone like Cary Grant and someone like Alec Guinness. Cary Grant just pretty much played himself in every role he ever had, whereas Guinness put on a mask and played a very different person (a different "character") each time.

So basically character actors are more versatile, but they tend to need roles with a bit more depth to them than other actors do, otherwise they can get a bit lost. Whereas "normal" actors can play pretty much anything you put in front of them, but they'll tend to play it pretty much the same every time.

If you work on those things, which hinder you, then you can freely go for what you want without them serving as obstacles for you =)

Isn't this why other people are hired to do positions specializing in this? I would think developing and capitalizing on your strengths would be better to pure career success. I mean, if I'm an inventor who sits on a computer all day thinking of ways to improve computer circuitry, then why do I need better social skills? Wouldn't I hire a client relations manager to deal with clients so I have more time to invent? We all need a minimum amount of social skills to get along, but why do I need to improve them if I'm at that point?

And this is assuming a false dichotomy anyways (either develop strengths or weaknesses). There are other possible keys to career success. I don't think the author put enough thought into the bottom suggestion to warrant credibility.

I was poking fun at myself; I am in college right now to get my pHd in organic chemistry. Horray for chemists! :D

Organic chemistry. Cool! :m200:

Yeah, I have no chemistry knowledge whatsoever..other than the reaction of vinegar and baking soda mixed together makes fizzy!

Speaking of Organic chemistry, I'm taking advanced chemistry next term! :)

I'd say the difference is that character actors play or inhabit different personas with every role, whereas "normal" actors just pretty much play themselves.

I guess you could say the difference is between someone like Cary Grant and someone like Alec Guinness. Cary Grant just pretty much played himself in every role he ever had, whereas Guinness put on a mask and played a very different person (a different "character") each time.

So basically character actors are more versatile, but they tend to need roles with a bit more depth to them than other actors do, otherwise they can get a bit lost. Whereas "normal" actors can play pretty much anything you put in front of them, but they'll tend to play it pretty much the same every time.

Ahhaa! That makes so much more sense! I surely want more depth and mystic to a character :) Thank you for explaining DC! I definetly can relate to it now and somehow haha I feel motivated that it in that case states that I 'can' be an actress ^^

Isn't this why other people are hired to do positions specializing in this? I would think developing and capitalizing on your strengths would be better to pure career success. I mean, if I'm an inventor who sits on a computer all day thinking of ways to improve computer circuitry, then why do I need better social skills? Wouldn't I hire a client relations manager to deal with clients so I have more time to invent? We all need a minimum amount of social skills to get along, but why do I need to improve them if I'm at that point?

And this is assuming a false dichotomy anyways (either develop strengths or weaknesses). There are other possible keys to career success. I don't think the author put enough thought into the bottom suggestion to warrant credibility.

Sure you could hire a client relations manager but before you get to the point where you can, you need some social skills ;) The thing is that certain weaknesses contradict strengths. So developing strengths may turn to be problematic if other areas are not functionable. Therefore not being able to maximise =)

Why not develope both instead ? :)