Are your relatives the most likely to be jealous of you? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Are your relatives the most likely to be jealous of you?

Hm, unfortunately I've experienced this quite a bit.

I was kind of a black sheep in my extended family. I was the weirdo who always had trouble maintaining relationships, jobs, etc. So, other family members could think "well at least my son/daughter didn't turn out like him." But then when I achieved some bit of success, I saw so much jealousy from them. Even my older brother is jealous of the few achievements I've had. Which seems especially petty, considering I was almost living on the street, when he was nearly making 6 figures at the time our the economic boom.

It sucks. You'd think these people would be happy, but instead they were glad to see me fail. Of course that's not everyone in my family. There are still plenty who are genuinely happy to see me succeed. They're the only ones I really keep in contact with anymore.

That sounds like a great shame, and is sad to read.

Perhaps it upset their ego that the person who they were 'definitely better than' was suddenly doing well or exceeding them. Imagine being overtaken by the guy who was nowhere - it might shine a light on their own stagnation.

Reactions: Tin Man and Wyote