Does intelligence lead to being stuck in your head? | INFJ Forum

Does intelligence lead to being stuck in your head?

Darc

Jul 11, 2017
MBTI
Fi
Enneagram
4W3
I was just wondering if perhaps if intelligence is related to being more inclined to the world of thoughts, and what goes on in your head, as well as introversion.

I know that it's related a bit, but is generally what it is? I know that for myself personally, I had a lot "issues" which things growing up (or at least I thought I did) and generally, I really thought that something was wrong with me because I couldn't easily go along with the flow or just be in the present and often I felt really bored by this.
A lot of people think I'm boring, and I spend lots of time doing things that re not very interesting to other people (at least, in a concentrated and regular way) and generally I like being a homebody, and it's hard for me to focus that much on the outside world. I've gotten better at it because I spend lots of time trying to get better at it, but often times spending time just focusing on the outside world kind of makes me feel disheartened a bit because I see so much that is wrong with it all of the time (society I mean)

I just find it strange.

I just find it interesting if the two lead to one another. Living in ones mind a bit then is interesting, because it's as if living in the world of the abstract separate from the one we live in. It is then, almost another world that we can create for ourselves.

I guess the problem is as well I have inferior Si, so even when I am tuned into the present, it's in a different way and thus I come across to others at times as "slow" but I find the small moments the most interesting and stimulating but it doesn't really exist for the purpose of existing to go, or get to any end destination like I think Se-doms are like as well (existing, to get more of what makes it itself?)

And then I'll for example, like strolls through a park, or just tender and quiet reprieves from the rest of the world and this looks like some sort of a mental problem to people, because it's not outwardly "doing something" (whatever that means) but of course, I have thus because of facing many of those situations kind of lost touch with my interior Si (is it inferior or interior?) but I find that I have sort of bad spatial awareness compared to a lot of other people, and I get frazzled and overwhelmed by too much outside stimuli and thus I come across as "slow" to many people, in fast paced physical environments, or just in general to people who do not understand this. I am like the Tortoise, and everyone else is the hare. : (

(for example, I cannot do a lot of labor or blue collar work because of this, or just because many of the people who do those jobs, do not like how I carry on, despite how efficient I may or may not be.)

Last edited:
Are you serious @Darc ? Geez another one of these gray area threads. :tongueclosed::sob:

Even without reading the OP of this thread, I kind of had a feeling that it must have been you.

Reactions: the
Are you serious @Darc ? Geez another one of these gray area threads. :tongueclosed::sob:

Even without reading the OP of this thread, I kind of had a feeling that it must have been you.
Okay?

I just find it interesting none the less, the notion that generally one can exist or function in such a way, or that it can be so difficult for one to focus intensely on the outside world in a constant and prolonged way and if it's always a case of being so.

I have heard stories from people who have said to be gifted but yet they were sensors and thus had difficulty with academia and many of those subjects. Interesting indeed.

I enjoy some fast-paced and visceral pursuits and in some ways my hand-eye coordination is quite good but in other ways I have serious problems with spatial awareness and things.

I wonder as well if said traits can lead one to having poor spatial awareness though, but I've never found anyone who will answer it honestly for me for whatever reason, human beings are such paradoxical creatures.

Oh I wanted to add this as well.

Being cerebral differs from intelligence; it seems to make sense to see intelligence about agility in noticing complex/subtle patterns...cerebralness is more how stuck in one's head one is

I'm very cerebral compared to those equal to me in intelligence

Being cerebral differs from intelligence; it seems to make sense to see intelligence about agility in noticing complex/subtle patterns...cerebralness is more how stuck in one's head one is

I'm very cerebral compared to those equal to me in intelligence

Good point.

My father had an IQ above 140. He won a full scholarship to Harvard. Merit scholar.

Became a mechanical engineer and spent his time building shit. From a huge deck with an awkwardly placed gazebo to a wooden brace for an old cardboard box (yes, the corner was weak). I never thought of him as an intellectual, or even particularly interesting. He also excelled at rattling at names and dates while failing to explain their connections and importance. His memory was fantastic.

So, here we had a genius-level guy who was a math whiz with a "photographic" memory (his adjective). He was obviously mechanically gifted.

I found him boring. Once I asked him if he had any interest in philosophy, and he responded "Oh no, no, no, no!"

The aptitude was there. But he lacked creativity, curiosity, and introspection (to a degree). I always found my mom to be truly "brighter."

As for OP, maybe. Hearing loss, autism, psychosis, social anxiety, introspection (IQ independent), and depression et. al. .... all can

High IQ is more closely related to being active. Having the ability to transfer ideas into the physical world is a good indicator of high IQ. Of course IQ is only one measurement of cognitive ability.

Lurk said:
So, here we had a genius-level guy who was a math whiz with a "photographic" memory (his adjective). He was obviously mechanically gifted.

I found him boring. Once I asked him if he had any interest in philosophy, and he responded "Oh no, no, no, no!"

The aptitude was there. But he lacked creativity, curiosity, and introspection (to a degree). I always found my mom to be truly "brighter."

Yeah, exactly exactly!

I think I have more of an excess of introspection, rationality, etc than IQ.
I've found many high-IQ types to not actually be very rational, as they don't train themselves to see "behind" their own thought processes, and thus aren't "in control" of them/are not as good at (or prone to) skeptical inquiry. But they can perceive complex patterns quickly, more so than I can.
I think the cerebral side emphasizes speed very little, and that's a big difference.
Some have even started formulating "RQ" (rationality) as distinct from IQ --- I am not sure that their definition quite aligns with mine, as mine probably is more philosophically oriented (like what you were getting at, in fact), but all the same, it is interesting to see people research the difference between the two ideas.

If I envy anyone at all, it's those who have both

Reactions: Sandie33
What does IQ measure?

• The ability to get more answers correctly from a pool of infinite random questions
  • How fast you can press a button
  • What is the life success of someone

Based on this, no, introversion and extroversion play pretty much no role in someone's IQ.

Reactions: Wyote and Sandie33
This has been my small quirk for the entirety of my life. It used to be a whole lot worse as a young child, since my imagination and introspection just feels better for me than it is to be present with the physical environment in which I inhabited. I still have these moments as an adult, but I'm learning the value of mindfulness. Truth be told, I feel it is more of a personality trait that ties with introversion than it has to do with overall intellectual quotient.