What kind of philosophy do you enjoy the most? | Page 10 | INFJ Forum

What kind of philosophy do you enjoy the most?

I discovered a book at random in the university library I was sleeping in some odd 11 years ago called "The Passionate Mind" by Joel Kramer, a very short yet intense meditation on the fundamental questions and problems with being alive, human, and impermanent. Each chapter, fundamental, simple, and honest and primal subjects such as belief, fear, death, love, etc. The approach was to see how these things work for yourself, how to change the way you see. Long story short, I realized the man Kramer referenced as his primary inspiration was Jiddu Krishnamurti. So I started digging into his work. Have not heard a more clear, honest, direct, and convicting treatise on truth than from Jiddu.

Thanks for this, Maikl, it's great to know a bit more about the background of your interest in Jiddu's work.

The problem of impermanence is one that occupies me a great deal in my writing.

I don't believe in philosophy...

What is 'belief', though?

Philosophy right back at you! :) Protagoras probably has an idea about belief, actually...

I don't believe in ideas...

But your not a nihilist?

I don't believe in meaninglessness...

And yet you seem quite the master of infinite regress, another philosophico-logical device...

Lol! Damn humans and their mental trappings! I don't believe in humans...

So you believe in belief over ideas?

I don't believe in beliefs...

I just want to do a callback to this exchange on the first page and hand @Milktoast Bandit a medal. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I believe I still don't believe in anything... :kissingheart:
I believe it! :hug:
tenor.gif

Hey guys!

As a massive philosophy fan, and a newbie on this forum, I thought I'd start a conversation about what 'movements' you like most in this most amazing of disciplines.

Are you more into ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, logic, the philosophy of history, aesthetics? Are you most excited by, say, Marxism, Existentialism, Idealism, the Presocratics, the Philosophy of Religion?

Do you like philosophers who lead with insight, like Nietzsche and Wittgenstein? With great rational systems, like Kant and Descartes? Or with a huge heart, like Spinoza and Epictetus?

I want to know all, and I'm really excited to start talking about my life's greatest passion ;)
Great question! Always test out as
Aristotelianism ...the man had it goin' on. Rationalism has such an obvious appeal to me. For instance, I don't subscribe to the philosophy of 'The Matrix' which purports to claim our life is an illusion, we are performing a robot, controlled existence for another's benefit. Stoicism has its charm as well. Always enjoy reading the stoics-it appeals to my manly nature.

Reactions: Ren
The poetry of the old Sufi poets. . Rumi and Hafez.

Reactions: Ren
The poetry of the old Sufi poets. . Rumi and Hafez.

Nice :) What resonates with you most philosophically in the works of those poets?