Are MBTI types genetically inherited? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Are MBTI types genetically inherited?

I've seen as much evidence for it, as I've seen against it.

In order to prove it, you'd have to do a very exhaustive study on adopted families and their biological parents, and as a control group biological families, then see if there is any lean one way or another.

With only 16 personality types, there is going to be a lot of 'randomness' in types among families.
Narrow it down to essentially only 8 distinct groups (NFJ, NFP, NTJ, NTP, SFJ, SFP, STP, and STJ), and there might be a lot more commonality.
Distill it down to 4 distinct temperaments (NF, NT, SJ, SP), and how couldn't a pattern appear?

My father was either an NF or an NT, but I'm inclined to say NF because he could manipulate people like no one's business and he wasn't too good with systems.

My mother is an SP, with the exact reverse processes of mine: Se Ti Fe Ni.

IndigoSensor said:
So I think people are born with several different potentials for personality. The subsequent environment will then direct which direction things will go in.

Yeah, this is how I think it works too. You get born with certain genetic predispositions and then it's your environment that determines how exactly you develop, so if you're born with a genetic disposition towards INFJ, then it just means that you'll be more likely to develop into an INFJ then a different type. It's not a guarantee though, if your early childhood environment is one that encourages ESTP qualities, then you'll probably develop as an ESTP.

There is a theory that posits a correlation in brain stem length (I believe) to introversion and extraversion (Eyesneck?). Spatial/iNtuitive thought also uses different parts of the brain than does concrete thought does. Jung also states that individuation starts happening before 2, and early signs of the personality type can be picked up by that point. However, it's not set in stone for a few years. Of course, the atmosphere in which one is raised can affect the personality - but I would argue that most of these changes are superficial and don't change the core personality - maybe just obscure or confuse it a bit...

I'll take nature and nurture and "other" for $200, Alex.

Yeah, this is how I think it works too. You get born with certain genetic predispositions and then it's your environment that determines how exactly you develop, so if you're born with a genetic disposition towards INFJ, then it just means that you'll be more likely to develop into an INFJ then a different type. It's not a guarantee though, if your early childhood environment is one that encourages ESTP qualities, then you'll probably develop as an ESTP.

I've theorized that there are 4 base types of minds, and we can then develop them as we choose.

STJ and NFP being the most common type.
SFJ and NTP being the 2nd most common type.
SFP and NTJ being the 3rd most common type.
STP and NFJ being the least most common type.

However, Keirsey would probably group them as NF, NT, SJ, and SP, and at this point I think there is a lot of validity to that.

Haha! So did I!

It never once felt nice either.

yeah, it was very hurtful, but I'm guessing my parents were very stressed, since they have been very stressed maybe it's possible that they are acting like their shadow types..

Reactions: VH
yeah, it was very hurtful, but I'm guessing my parents were very stressed, since they have been very stressed maybe it's possible that they are acting like their shadow types..

If they are STJ's, it is very much more likely that they didn't consider how hurtful such a statement could be. I'm sorry that you had to feel it though.

I know my father is some ENFP-hybrid. My mother is an INFP and my grandmother, from my mom's side, was also an ENFP before Alzheimer's.

I'm INFJ (pretty certain of it). My brother has tested as both an ENTJ and an INTJ before. We're two J's in a family of P's. No idea how the hell that happened, but it did.

Based on my case, I would say that it is. My mom is an INFJ and my dad an INTJ and many say that I tend to have both of my parents personality.

It would be an interesting topic to research on.

INTP father + ESTJ mother. They managed to last 10 yrs. Resulted 3 offspring-INFJ (moi), ESTJ (sister), and ENFJ (younger sister). Clear mixing of personality types. I think we all start off as either IJ, IP, EJ, EP, and the middle letters, NF, NT, SF, ST are all influenced by environment.

INTP father + ESTJ mother. They managed to last 10 yrs. Resulted 3 offspring-INFJ (moi), ESTJ (sister), and ENFJ (younger sister). Clear mixing of personality types. I think we all start off as either IJ, IP, EJ, EP, and the middle letters, NF, NT, SF, ST are all influenced by environment.

I think all functions are affected by our environment not just ''IJ'' or ''EP'.. My parents are clearly extroverts, I am clearly an introvert, most of my family(cousins,aunts et) are extroverts but there are a few introverts. My parents are hardcore J, specially my mom, I have come to realize I'm more of a P at this point in my life.

I know I have posted this several times before, but is relevent again. Me and my mom are standalones as far as type compared to the rest of the people in my family that I am biologically related to. My family is full of S types, with the exception of an uncle. It's also interesting that both sets of grandparents are/were the same:

Mom's side
Mom: INFJ
Uncle Glen: INTP
Cousin Ava: ESTJ
Uncle Scott: ESTP
Cousin Kiana: ESFP
Grandma: ISFJ
Grandpa: ISTJ
Strong S prefrence. My mom has a different biological father though, and I have no idea to his type.

Dad's side
Dad: ESTJ
Uncle George: ESTJ
Cousin George: ISTJ
Aunt Joanie: ESFJ
Aunt Lowie: ESFJ
Cousin Lauren: ISFJ
Cousin Jason: ISTJ
Aunt Ruthie: ESFP
Aunt Cookie: ISTJ
There must be a really really strong SJ gene on my dads side.

(I excluded family members who I can't figure out, cousins mostly).

I know I have posted this several times before, but is relevent again. Me and my mom are standalones as far as type compared to the rest of the people in my family that I am biologically related to. My family is full of S types, with the exception of an uncle. It's also interesting that both sets of grandparents are/were the same:

Mom's side
Mom: INFJ
Uncle Glen: INTP
Cousin Ava: ESTJ
Uncle Scott: ESTP
Cousin Kiana: ESFP
Strong S prefrence. My mom has a different biological father though, and I have no idea to his type.

Dad's side
Dad: ESTJ
Uncle George: ESTJ
Cousin George: ISTJ
Aunt Joanie: ESFJ
Aunt Lowie: ESFJ
Cousin Lauren: ISFJ
Cousin Jason: ISTJ
Aunt Ruthie: ESFP
Aunt Cookie: ISTJ
There must be a really really strong SJ gene on my dads side.

(I excluded family members who I can't figure out, cousins mostly).

same with my family, me, my grandmother from my dad's side, and grandfather from my mom's family are the only ones I can type as an N..the rest is mainly S's...

I don't know about the rest of the letters, but I believe a natural tendency towards Introversion or Extroversion is genetic, and can be seen in toddlers. That doesn't mean it can't be changed, but I do believe it is a genetic tendency because it comes out so early.

I don't know about the rest of the letters, but I believe a natural tendency towards Introversion or Extroversion is genetic, and can be seen in toddlers. That doesn't mean it can't be changed, but I do believe it is a genetic tendency because it comes out so early.

There is a correlation but it is quite weak so it has very little influence, the influence is greater among Fraternal Twins. The correlation is much lower among family members.

If you've raised kids, trust me, you sometimes wonder where the heck they come from!!! No two are ever alike, and some of those temperaments and dispositions can be seen at a very early age!!! I do think environment plays a big role in development...but not on MBTI type so much.

Mum: ISTJ
Dad: INFP or something along those lines.
Oldest Brother: ISFP/J?
Other older bro: ISFJ
Younger brother: ESTP or ESFP

I'm sure my Paternal Grandmother is an INFJ, we get on quite well and most of our differences seem to be our generation gap.

Besides my little brother Introversion seems to be very strong, I believe that may come from my Paternal Grandad but I don't really know him that well. Besides my Dad and his mother the Sensing side seems to be common but in general a lot of people around me seem sensing. Besides my mum the Feeling side seems to be real strong as well. I'm unsure of F/P's however.

I think it's partly genetic (similar to the IQ) and partly the same effect as with the male/female ratio in children. If everyone else had female children then a male would be quite popular ;) If everyone had let's say ES* children then someone with IN* would be quite successful in life as well. So the best evolutionary strategy is to have kids according to a certain distribution. The inherited gene woudln't say "have INFJ kids because you are an INFJ" but "have x% INFJ kids, y% INTJ kids etc.".