[PAX] - always wondering what people really think about me | INFJ Forum

[PAX] always wondering what people really think about me

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by rawr, Mar 25, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by rawr
  1. rawr

    rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    Threads:
    123
    Messages:
    7,306
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    2,371
    Trophy Points:
    867
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Earth
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    [admins feel free to move into emotional support & advice if that's the proper place]
    almost to a fault, (or maybe to a fault)...
    may we discuss? what does this indicate to you?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Entyqua

    Entyqua Forgotten
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Threads:
    280
    Messages:
    10,016
    Likes Received:
    533
    Trophy Points:
    755
    MBTI:
    INF
    Enneagram:
    messed up
    hmmm..I always do this too...I know that they say one thing and mean another, but then I know I couldnt handle the real truth, because I always assume the worst...vicious cycle really...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Reon

    Reon Midnight's Garden

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Threads:
    66
    Messages:
    1,768
    Likes Received:
    323
    Trophy Points:
    627
    MBTI:
    Questioning?
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    Why are you always wondering what people think about you? Is it because you feel they are judging/insecurity or do you just like knowing how you come off to people (which everyone does) Or is it something else? It kinda matters (Although, from personal experience, I can tell figuring out "why" you are wondering about what people think of you can be difficult.)
     
  4. emmly

    emmly Community Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    136
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTP
    I am too. I think it may be a product of my social anxiety (which I'm certain is a product of low self esteem begotten by a struggle with depression). I have, I think, degraded my own self worth to a point that I am convinced that since I don't even like myself, others must feel the same.
    My reasoning says that this can't possibly be so since I have a fair amount of friends, but then the other part of me steps in and implies (and oh so persuasively) that they only hang around because they pity me in some way or another.
    I am trying to overcome this, but it has proven to be a difficult task. Even as I write this, I wonder if I should really post it because I wonder if people will think of it. It scares me to be so vulnerable, but I want to challenge myself.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,380
    Messages:
    28,271
    Featured Threads:
    94
    Likes Received:
    22,777
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy

    Quit saying what's in my mind. :m145: It's creepy.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 Gaze, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. OP
    rawr

    rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    Threads:
    123
    Messages:
    7,306
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    2,371
    Trophy Points:
    867
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Earth
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    both the first two i would think
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Entyqua

    Entyqua Forgotten
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Threads:
    280
    Messages:
    10,016
    Likes Received:
    533
    Trophy Points:
    755
    MBTI:
    INF
    Enneagram:
    messed up
    your long absence has not changed our twinness...:m027:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. OP
    rawr

    rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    Threads:
    123
    Messages:
    7,306
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    2,371
    Trophy Points:
    867
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Earth
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    sounds somewhat like my thought process as well
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. LadyINFJ

    LadyINFJ Community Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    Threads:
    8
    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    15
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I am not always wondering about that, but from time to time. I guess the reason is that it is important for me that the others don't have the wrong opinion/impression or more like I leave the right impression about me, the one that truly represents me. When they have the wrong impression about me I wonder if it is because I did/said something in the wrong way or if they understood it wrong. It is usually the second because I am very good in saying what I think/feel and thinking/feeling what I say. Yes, usually I use long sentences and detailed explanations which might confuse some but oh well, this is how I am. I've noticed that people in general don't like too smart people or people who know too much. It makes them feel uncomfortable. I am the opposite, I love people who know more than me and are smarter than me - I can learn so many things from them! I hate when I have to play stupid only because people around me don't think that being smart is a positive thing. I am sure INFJs know what I mean .......
     
  10. randomsomeone

    randomsomeone Well-known member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Threads:
    8
    Messages:
    2,145
    Likes Received:
    308
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I actually never thought about it 'til this thread reminded me. I tend to not wonder about this...not sure why. I guess I get sufficiently good feedback from people so that I have little cause for alarm or concern. Secondly, most of the people I know observe my outward behaviors and generally only have that to go by. Few, if any, see (or are even interested in) the underpinnings of what really makes my life go. I more frequently observe people making assumptions about me (that they have somehow pieced together or otherwise figured out) that are not accurate at all. They mean well I think.
     
  11. Stu

    Stu .
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    Threads:
    217
    Messages:
    12,456
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    12,573
    Trophy Points:
    1,761
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    .
    MBTI:
    .
    Enneagram:
    .
    Nobody plays stupid better than me

    Because I am perhaps overly invested in my persona, people always assume that I am smarter than I think I am. (I present as being knowledgeable, it is important to my self esteem that I not appear dumb) When (with certain people) I am in a situation where I lack understanding or functionality, my mind starts to cloud. Insecurity complexes begin to constellate and challenge my learning functions. I get a little dizzy.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,380
    Messages:
    28,271
    Featured Threads:
    94
    Likes Received:
    22,777
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Yeah.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. SpaceCowgirl

    SpaceCowgirl vanilla cat

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    This is exactly my thought process, and you explained it really well.
     
  14. Ecton

    Ecton Community Member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    894
    Likes Received:
    126
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJr
    I agree with all of the posts above about self-esteem. Those hit the nail on the head for me as well.

    While I am working on developing a self esteem to resemble the one I had as a child, I'm sort of disturbed by what passes for 'proper self-esteem' in the adults around me. It doesn't feel healthy.

    Some people I have gotten to know have opened up to me to reveal truly disturbing patterns in the opposite direction-- self-inflated and other-degraded. They seem happy and stable, but they live in a perpetual fantasy about their own worth. That doesn't strike me as healthy for any of us.

    RememberIfItRained, imagine if your wish were fulfilled. Imagine what the world would be like if everyone's thought processes were advertised on their foreheads. It would be a frightening world at first, but how would it change us?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #14 Ecton, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. slant

    slant Sedated slanty

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    332
    Messages:
    10,180
    Featured Threads:
    39
    Likes Received:
    15,562
    Trophy Points:
    1,741
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    Infp
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Unhelathy.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. bullinthesky

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    34
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    infj
    RWIR

    Hey, I think everybody goes through this to some extent. And anybody who thinks everything they are is awesome, is probably a dick.

    You should never be so hard on yourself. I know it's easier said than done. But, remind yourself from time to time! You're a good person. And at least here, people appreciate your intelligence.

    But also, not everyone is going to like you. The more you say what's on your mind, the more you get used to the varying reactions. Some will like it, some won't. No biggie.
     
    rawr likes this.
  17. Sloe Djinn

    Sloe Djinn Idiot with Internet Access.

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    Threads:
    129
    Messages:
    4,936
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,929
    Trophy Points:
    877
    MBTI:
    SOCMOB
    Enneagram:
    .
    I tend to feel like this whenever I get together with a certain group of friends who all happen to be medical professionals or soon-to-be medical professionals, especially when they get around to talking shop.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. OP
    rawr

    rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    Threads:
    123
    Messages:
    7,306
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    2,371
    Trophy Points:
    867
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Earth
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    well said...good answer, i like it
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. OP
    rawr

    rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    Threads:
    123
    Messages:
    7,306
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    2,371
    Trophy Points:
    867
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Earth
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    no, it wouldn't, at least for me, and a lot of others. but i don't really think i wish for people's thoughts to be advertised, i just always find myself subconciously wondering ppl's impression of me. I think if I knew everyone's thoughts though, it would get rather annoying.
    I just wonder what impression im giving i guess...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I care about what other people say and think about me and I get paranoid.

    But there are always days when I think that who the hell cares about what other people think about me?

    what do they care about me?

    I'm myself and if they don't like me ... THEN WHY WOULD I CARE? so what??? I wouldn't die if they don't like me

    it's nice to finally accept yourself and not care about what others think.... and be able to say what you want to say without over thinking what others think about you

    sometimes there are just days like these when I don't care about what they think

    why should I?

    it's not like they feed me.. it's not like they're the ones who give me education.... they're not my anything so why will I care?

    thoughts are just thoughts and nothing more.. as long as I'm not connected to them emotionally

    if I'm mad... why do I have to hide it when i HAVE a reason to be mad?

    I also get tired of hiding what pain I feel inside.. I just know that someday.. I have to let it all out.. and I have to stand for whatever I feel and do.. and that involved not caring about what other people think about me

    their thoughts do not make me who I am... so why in the world do I care????



    tssskkkk!!!!!!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #20 soulseeker, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page