Would you let a person live in denial if it made them happy? | INFJ Forum

Would you let a person live in denial if it made them happy?

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
For example, if they were convinced they were a frog, and protested loudly to anyone who tried to convince them otherwise, and seemed pretty damn happy thinking they're a frog, would you just let them be or would you feel compelled to correct them?

But it sounds like they've already been corrected and disagreed. So what would be the point?

I'd let them be a frog.

My husband always tell me, "I can be right all the time, or I can be happy. I choose to be happy."

I sort of do. If someone is friends with me I tell them to "prepare to go deep" because I will invariably start digging into their mind and get them to think and question things they might not have concidered before. When it comes to denial, I will often try to shake them out of it, but if they are very stubborn, or are unable to see beyond it, I will stop. It would be a waste of my energy. There are times where I won't bring anything up though if I feel it will rock the boat and just make things worse then it is. The context of what is going on is very important with these kind of things.

However, if no one else had ever mentioned it to them, I would tell them what I thought.

They'd be free to agree or disagree or prove me wrong, but at least they'd realize the possibility exists.

ADD: But what if they actually ARE a frog?????????????

Last edited:
Once they are not hurting anyone or them selves , then most probably I suppose. The Denial may be their "defense mechanism" and to just be persistent in undermining it would be like attacking the foundation of a building, the entire structure-their view on their existence itself- might crumble. At the same time if their denial is leading to their own explicit self destruction, I would want to intervene- like in the case of severe addiction or self destructive tendencies- as them plastering paint onto their "house"- their degrading psyche- might lead the house to crumble- sometimes perhaps even incorrigibly

Oh yes I'd totally let them. I love slightly loopy people. They remind me of me.:lol:

Being in denial never made anyone really happy, just make believe happy. I would probably try and snap them out of it but if that clearly wasn't working let it be.

Once they are not hurting anyone or them selves , then most probably I suppose. The Denial may be their "defense mechanism" and to just be persistent in undermining it would be like attacking the foundation of a building, the entire structure-their view on their existence itself- might crumble. At the same time if their denial is leading to their own explicit self destruction, I would want to intervene- like in the case of severe addiction or self destructive tendencies- as them plastering paint onto their "house"- their degrading psyche- might lead the house to crumble- sometimes perhaps even incorrigibly

Well sometimes the house needs to collapse for a person to really change. But its all something I think should be played by ear the isn't one final rule for helping people.

Well sometimes the house needs to collapse for a person to really change. But its all something I think should be played by ear the isn't one final rule for helping people.

I agree, we are all individuals and the manner in which we view the world, the frameworks we hold onto, our feelings, thoughts,dreams, et cetera are all different, so when we are helping individual people we need to tailor the manner in which we are helping to themselves as a person.

Depends on the context. If the person was starving because they only eat flies and weren't getting the proper nutrition or was extremely frustrated because they were too heavy to sit on a lilly pad like all the other frogs, or decided that the rain forst was their real home, then I might try to disuade them.

If the person lived an otherwise normal life, then I wouldn't have any problem with it. I would probably enjoy being a fellow frog, or a fly, or a chef looking for frog legs!

I would probably enjoy being a fellow frog, or a fly, or a chef looking for frog legs!

Life would be a perpetual Wile E. Coyote / Roadrunner cartoon!

As long as it's not harming her/him or anyone else, why not?

But I am a frog!

Assuming they could live an otherwise reasonable life (along the lines of NAI), I'd let them believe it. I'd probably avoid playing along with the charade if it was something detrimental to their health, but if they're just completely and utterly convinced that they are a frog, but live an otherwise normal life...who's it hurting?

In the end, it doesn't matter anyway. We're all a little bit crazy, so if it makes someone happy, let it be.

If the denial they were in would ultimately be detrimental to them, than I'd have to have a serious one-on-one. But, if someone thinks they're a frog (and not using this as an excuse to pee on people and eat flies), than why would I say anything? Hell, I'd play leapfrog with them!!

If part of my current reality was an illusion brought on by me being completely insane I wouldn't want to know unless I was hurting myself or others.

If part of my current reality was an illusion brought on by me being completely insane I wouldn't want to know unless I was hurting myself or others.
^^^this^^^

I think we all know people who believe in absurdities, hold contradictions in their own head, believe that certain things are astoundingly important that are, in fact, absolutely meaningless and hold no bearing on reality or anything that they hold in importance whatsoever, and take drastic actions as response to trivialities that could be resolved in SUCH an easier manner.

Completely random and non-real examples of such people, whose resemblence to anyone you know is completely accidental, might be:

- People who believe they hold spiritual links to others who they have never met or cannot communicate with (such as like celebrities, dead relatives, pets)

- Parents who say they're doing everything to help their children who are addicted to drugs get OFF of drugs, but do nothing but facilitate their 30 year old kids to stay on drugs by providing money and housing.

- People who say they'll do anything to solve their problems in life and that they've tried everything but have, in fact, never tried to do anything new to solve the problems and refuse to try anything new. Be them emotional or objective problems.

In the end, our main goal has to be to enjoy life for ourselves, and to not too much concern ourselves with others' disfunctions. We should address these peoples' great points - and mind you all of us have those great points. We all have ugly points too.
We should all strive to be great at heart, more like court jesters and people who are missing a sock, and people who have kinda dirty blondish or light brown hair (I can't really remember) and like to take pictures of themselves in what I can only assume is either ski equipment or climbing equipment but it sure looks cold where they are. And many others who are great. And coffee machines that are both amazing and vaguely narcissistic.

So if your friend is a frog you don't need to convince them otherwise. Perhaps enjoy the parts of them the aren't delusional. And if you get bored because they're ALWAYS FOCUSSED ON THEIR GOD DAMNED DELUSIONS then get a little glee out of their foibles by feeding them flies and eating frog legs in front of them to get a rise out of them.

:m027:

What do you guise think?

Last edited by a moderator:
red-pill.jpg

Whoa!