Would you let a person live in denial if it made them happy? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Would you let a person live in denial if it made them happy?

I'd wager that living in reality is better than living in a conjured opinion (At least, our perception of reality, that is) and could you explain why one can only reach happiness through delusion?

Note: I tend to see happiness as contentment (That might affect you post, depending on what you mean by happiness)

Is not hope, in a sense, delusion? And is not depression an absence of hope, the feeling that things will never get better? (Maybe they won't, but it could be argued that it's healthier to hope for the best, all the same.)

Anyway, I wonder if you've ever seen The Invention of Lying. It may be of some interest to you.

Is not hope, in a sense, delusion? And is not depression an absence of hope, the feeling that things will never get better? (Maybe they won't, but it could be argued that it's healthier to hope for the best, all the same.)

Anyway, I wonder if you've ever seen The Invention of Lying. It may be of some interest to you.

Isn't hope a preferred vision of the future? I don't think hope itself is a delusion, but hope can be delusional (if that makes sense.) Also, depression is a multifaceted thing, but I suppose a great majority of what ails people with depression is the inability to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I have never seen The Invention of Lying (At least, I don't think that I have) I'll go look it up!

If I met a stranger who thought they were a frog, I wouldn't tell them they are not. I have no idea why they think that and what effect it might have on them, their emotions, their perspecitve, world view, etc. to be told that they are not. If a stranger asked me if I thought they were a frog, but seemed like they needed to hear that they were, I'd probably tell them that it is possible without bursting their bubble.

If one of my friends thought they were a frog, I would probably have to find a way to explain to them that they might not be a frog, but probably wait for a good segue, rather than just blast them with the truth, unless I knew that this person needed to believe they were a frog, at which point I'd support them, and probably defend them from others' opinions however I could, even if that meant explaining to people that my friend needs to believe they are a frog. Their needs are more important than the details.

If someone came to a website devoted to figuring out whether or not they are a frog, I'd feel compelled to offer my insights, and offer them without much prompting other than a sense that they are curious about it.

Not all of us are INFJs, but some of us need to believe we are.

Last edited: