Why is religious persecution widely accepted? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Why is religious persecution widely accepted?

Actually you go to the search function, type in the user bar "Shai Gar", ask results to come up as threads only, and then search "satanism" and you'll find the thread with ease.

but you had to know to do that. It may seem obvious to one who knows what to do, but it is not to those who do not. Its called hindsight bias.

This is a rather complex topic that others have probably already examined. One point that stands out in my mind is that religion has a strong ability to create "Us" vs. "Them" categories whether viewed from inside or outside the religion. When people address conflict as Us and Them, the category of Them is typically dehumanized. I'm not sure why it is so easy for humans to enter into the mental mode of complete dismissal of a group of people as non-human and no longer deserving of rights and for whom it is okay or even righteous to persecute and cause to suffer. That category is no longer viewed with any empathy whatsoever. It is like a complete blindness that comes over the mind when someone becomes Them.

This is a great discussion. I want to think about what to say before I add to this.

I converted from christianity to buddhism. My Aunt is in religious life. She is a christian nun. We like each other very much and respect each other tremendously. We have wonderful dialogues on religion. I think that it is important to stay away from: all Christians, all Muslims, all Buddhists, all religious people....This is where all of the problems stem from. I don't represent all religious people.....at all.....actually not even a little.....if that....:m125: When we send a whole group of millions of people down the highway of all anything we should stop at the door for a reality check. Does anyone even know 3 people who agree entirely.....on anything? This example may not be the best but I think that, or hope rather that I am making my point. I would hope that people will do me the courtesy of not lumping me in with other people that I don't know, and have never even talked to. I am me. I am deeply religious. Yes religious, and spiritual. I love to talk to people about whatever religious inclination they have. It is not my job or inclination to tell them they are wrong. I want to look at their path and compare it to my own in only the most positive way. Most religions at the base agree on similar values: love, compassion and peace.

Susan

Right now there is a trend towards ludicrious lawsuits like the Judge who is not allowing parents to raise their son as a wiccan. If they appeal the ruling will not have a leg to stand on. It is a little scary for people like me (nonchristian) because this is a Christian Country. There needs to be more dialogue with people of all religions so that we are not objectified like some very wise person previously stated. When you put a face on a belief system it is very hard to take someones rights away. Hating right back is not the answer. Flying into a temper will only make the situation worse. Keeping a cool head, and a wise compassionate heart is what I think is the right path. Especially if the other person is acting in a way that is........irrational

Reactions: Solar Empath
Right now there is a trend towards ludicrious lawsuits like the Judge who is not allowing parents to raise their son as a wiccan. If they appeal the ruling will not have a leg to stand on. It is a little scary for people like me (nonchristian) because this is a Christian Country. There needs to be more dialogue with people of all religions so that we are not objectified like some very wise person previously stated. When you put a face on a belief system it is very hard to take someones rights away. Hating right back is not the answer. Flying into a temper will only make the situation worse. Keeping a cool head, and a wise compassionate heart is what I think is the right path. Especially if the other person is acting in a way that is........irrational
I agree totally. Good point.

Yeah, I have to ask why persecute anyone due to their beliefs? What's next, the persecution of scientists?
Quite correct - a good scientist often has to work on ideas that are still not confirmed by data, hence are just beliefs.

I only see one reason for all the hatred among people when it comes to these topics - they question each other's right to exist. Have you "earned" your existential support by society with your false claims and false theories? - Something like that. I hope people get to realize soon that nobody ever "deserved" or "earned" anything in history.

We can only judge by real objective data, which doesn't mean people should only work on real objective data, because otherwise nothing truly novel could ever be achieved. The mistake is to keep people accountable, as if they should gamble their own life and destiny for what they research. So primitive... and so limiting. Scientists don't need to be heroes. Our heads are full of fiction crap from movies and books that totally blinds us about what is really worth.