Why is religious persecution widely accepted? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Why is religious persecution widely accepted?

Government and laws are an obvious control mechanism but you aren't crying about that. What is the part that you have a problem with? That you think it is a meme telling you what to do instead of some person blatently telling you what to do?

I was trying to stay on topic by talking about religion and neglecting to voice my disdain for any particular form of government.
So don't go readin' into things there.

The part I have a problem with, is exactly what I said. I don't believe in it, therefore, the rules don't apply to me.

For example,
I don't believe in abstinence before marriage, therefore if the government were to be overtaken with fundies who decreed sex illegal before marriage, I'd be hoppin pissed.

And,
if I were gay, I'd really not appreciate the fact that I'm not allowed to marry my partner because the bible tells you so.

I don't think it's fair that rules devised from a faith should apply to all. I've already said it here before. Religion is a way to justify exploitation and destruction with sweet sweet promises of an afterlife (just in case ya don't like what you see here, you can cling to the idea that there's a sweet deal waiting for you in eternity instead).

Religion is a way to justify exploitation and destruction with sweet sweet promises of an afterlife

You can cling to that if you wish. I'm sure it soothes your conscience.

Conscience exists with or without a belief in God.
But if you need an invisible being to tell you how to act, have at it. It would only go to show who is really more "morally deprived."

Conscience exists with or without a belief in God.
But if you need an invisible being to tell you how to act, have at it. It would only go to show who is really more "morally deprived."

I could understand how some one like you would come to a conclusion like that.

Are you serious? You don't remember a little thing called the Salem Witch Trials?

Just because they escaped persecution doesn't mean they didn't persecute others. The ultra-religious are often the ultimate hypocrites. Haven't you noticed?

The point is, obviously, keep religion out of politics--it's corrupt enough as it is.

Just because they escaped persecution doesn't mean they didn't persecute others. The ultra-religious are often the ultimate hypocrites. Haven't you noticed?
Why is it hypocritical to save yourself and get rid of problems to your well being?

Yeah, this thread's pretty much worthless now...

It's probably worthless to point that out, and even more worthless that I'm pointing out the worthlessness of your point-out post.

Why is it hypocritical to save yourself and get rid of problems to your well being?
the salem witch trials were hardly a means to maintain there well being. they tried to portray it as such, but it was really religious persecution (of a sort, it would have been true religious persecution if the executed were actually practicing witch craft).

But besides that, YAY WORTHLESSNESS!

The problem that I see with mixing religion with politics in the United States is that this particular nation has such a diversity of religions because a variety of people have come here with them, mainly because we do keep religion and politics seperate. Living in Utah, where there is a seminary building at every school, somehow legally, I can definetely see how religion effects society and how a dominance of religion can throw things out of balance. A high percentage of the population in utah are members of the LDS church, and as a result of that people of that church are the ones who get elected, the state is republican etc.

Ironically, Salt Lake City, essentially downtown, is one of the most liberal cities in the country.

What I've observed generally happens here if you are not, what the slang term for it is, Mormon, you tend to get ignored. In school I was constantly bombarded to come to a LDS youth group, and after coming a few times I was asked not to come again because I asked some questions upon why the church didn't like homosexuality, what was so 'wrong' about it. After that, the mormon children, which was a large percentage of the school, ignored me. There were also a lot of non mormons who tended to not believe in any religion, or they were wiccan or some odd religion like that. Those kids tended to get into drugs and such. There's a major drug problem in Salt Lake City, despite it's liberalness.

At grocery stores even, mormons will not talk to non mormons. My sister was even told by a few of her friends in elementary school growing up that they couldn't be friends with her anymore because she was not mormon.

I also neighbor a street full of polygomists, even though it's illegal people know it's there. The church claims to be against it but they are actually supporting it.

Due to the church, a lot of homosexuals get sent to Evergreen, which I have mentioned before, to be 'cured'. They use a variety method, one involving electric shock therapy to the genitials of men in order to turn them straight.

In my opinion, the mass representation of one religion, and only one religion, has negatively effected people who are not that religion or are percieved as wrong by the church.

If religion were to be incorperated into politics ( which I hope that will never happen), there must be a way to balance the religions represented, just like the USA government has three branches to keep everything in check. Every religion would need to be represented. I just fear that most religions base their beliefs on the bible, and since athiesm is only one religion, the opinion of those who do not believe in any form of God would be overshadowed and not heard.

Not true. Christianity is only One religion, despite its many "flavours".

Therefore they'd only get one showing. They'd have to decide amongst themselves who.

Also, Satanism would get a representative.

Yeah but don't the beliefs of satanism imply that there is a God?

Gone over this with the forum or with me? Because I probably skim over 1/4 of your posts.

Therefore you missed it.

Gone over this in the forum. Look it up.

Look it up? Well you have a hell of a lot of posts. At least usually they are short an concise, whereas -some- people I know like to draw things out, long and painful.

[theistic satanism implies the christian god. the Order of Shai Gar, which is closely related to Leveyan Satanism, is atheistic, and therefore does not imply the christian god (or any god for that matter besides themselves)]

Sorry shai, slant has a point, you do have too many posts to go through to find that fact.

Thanks man you rock my socks for explaining that!

I find it scary how often this fluffy bunny wiccan has explained that difference to people.

But hey, I feel my beliefs are closer to satanism than to christianity, so I guess it may work.