Why can't INFJ's hang up the phone first? | INFJ Forum

Why can't INFJ's hang up the phone first?

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
Okay, lately I've been talking to five different INFJ friends of mine on the phone at different times and I've noticed something we all share in one way or another.

We're all reluctant to be the first one to hang up the phone. It's just a vague discomfort hanging up for me where as for some of them they just can't hang up first at all.

Yeah, I know it's strange but there it is. Each of us will hold multi-hour conversations (very intense like) but then when it comes to needing to say goodbye, we stop and sort of...if you could stare at a person through the phone that's what we'd be doing.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Reactions: kucala
I'm the same way and I am an INFP. I really dislike not ending a conversation, it just feels very awkward. I would always extend my way into the conversation, hoping the other person ends it first. It usually works well, but the times I do get someone who shares this trait of mines, the goodbyes can take longer than the actual conversation xD.

I find it difficult to end a conversation. (I'm also an INFP.)

It just makes me feel bad, like I'm communicating that something is more important to me than the person with whom I am speaking. I shouldn't stress so much, though. In my head, I make it out to be this rude/mean thing, and, really, I don't think anyone cares that much.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to end a conversation. (I'm also an INFP.)

It just makes me feel bad, like I'm communicating that something is more important to me than the person with whom I am speaking.

This exactly. Which is why when I end up talking for a long time, even if it means avoiding homework and other responsibilities. Unless of course the person gives clear signs of wanting to end it.

This exactly. Which is why when I end up talking for a long time, even if it means avoiding homework and other responsibilities. Unless of course the person gives clear signs of wanting to end it.

Yeah. I used to be like that, then it kinda went away. I stopped caring? I don't know.

i usually hang up 1st hehe

I can't stop texting or e-mailing if it is someone I like...

i don't have this problem, but my case might be an exception, because i loathe talking on the telephone and can never wait to put it down.

i don't have this problem, but my case might be an exception, because i loathe talking on the telephone and can never wait to put it down.
Yeah, this is me too. Haha...the phone is evil!

What are you on about? INFJs can't pick up the damn phone!

Reactions: deivejek2|9

Well, I never answer my mobile because it is on silent mode usually...but when you get me to pick up...

Yeah, my phone is more of a beeper I guess? I go along the lines of "Oh, look at who called. I better get to a landline sometime to call them." Seeing as landlines hardly exist anymore, I just never get around to calling people back.

Yeah, I'm a douche.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I don't have a problem with it.

Reactions: invisible
Sounds like an INFP thing lol, I usually cant wait to hang up, and spend as little time talking on the phone as possible. I only get 450 minutes on my monthly contract, guess how many I used last month? 30! lol... I cant wait until I am 65 and I can get the senior discounted minute plan of 250 for way less money.

hahahaha good point, I usually never answer my phone, only for a select few people, I always let it go to Voicemail and I typically txt back unless its important.

I hate talking on the phone.

I don't care who hangs up first. Just get it over with

hahahaha good point, I usually never answer my phone, only for a select few people, I always let it go to Voicemail and I typically txt back unless its important.

at least you do that. If I pick up and I dont feel like talking I just pass it to the nearest person that knows the person calling me as well ;) annoyed a heck lot of my friends doing it too HAHAH

at least you do that. If I pick up and I dont feel like talking I just pass it to the nearest person that knows the person calling me as well ;) annoyed a heck lot of my friends doing it too HAHAH

Oh yeah I pull a handoff too if its someone mutual that knows me and whoever I am with. Ill be like, yo its Bob, answer this?

Hang up the phone
No you hang up
No you hang up
No you hang up
No you hang up
180px-NO_U.jpg

I wouldn't say it's an INFJ thing, more just phonophobia which us introverts appear to suffer from.

A ringing phone can actually get me quite angry.