Why can't INFJ's hang up the phone first? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why can't INFJ's hang up the phone first?

Caller ID is a great thing, you've got to love it.

The older I get the better I get at saving my time and closing a conversation. Plus the fact that my job requires a lot of phone calls during the day.

Phones are EEEEVIL. I use mine when I must, but my mind can drift when I'm on it too. Especially if the other person is going on and on with mundane stuff. And I HA-A-ATE telemarketers. I used to be one long ago and I know what they're doing. I usually tune completely out until they take their first breath, and then I say, "no, but thank you." And hang up without waiting for a response.

Reactions: deivejek2|9
Phones are EEEEVIL. I use mine when I must, but my mind can drift when I'm on it too. Especially if the other person is going on and on with mundane stuff. And I HA-A-ATE telemarketers. I used to be one long ago and I know what they're doing. I usually tune completely out until they take their first breath, and then I say, "no, but thank you." And hang up without waiting for a response.

LOL my mind drifts too! Its like if the person is not right in front of me, or telling me something relevant at that time I begin to shift focus on other things around me. Or stuff I have to do or even funny anecdotes lol.

I like to hang up first on a cliff hanger, before saying goodbye.. like they do on Tv.

Reactions: aeon
I like to hang up first on a cliff hanger, before saying goodbye.. like they do on Tv.

like, "omg! my hair is on fire." click. ???

i haven't done this, but i think i would like to at some point.

Hahahaaaa...if I ever get the opportunity to do this I so want to.

A better one would be:

*sharp intake of breath*

"Oh my god, who are you and what are you doing in my house?"

*click*

No offense to the folks in California, but they can talk for hours and go in circles on the phone.

I get a lot of phone calls from folks out there at work and I cringe when I see they are calling from Cali.

A better one would be:

*sharp intake of breath*

"Oh my god, who are you and what are you doing in my house?"

*click*

That is a good one, I usually just say "Oh let me call you back I am getting a beep". But I've used that for awhile so your suggestion might be believable, lol.

no problem for me.

Yes, but I live an uneventful and relatively accident free life, so I have to make do with instructions like, "Bring me home a sandwich and choose wisely which one." ::click::
That sort of thing. It works best if you're able to pull off imitating the voice of Vincent Price while doing it.

Reactions: christmas
I used to worry about such things, but now I don

Hmm well I dont usually like to talk to people (even those I am close to) on the phone. As I cant see their faces I dont feel like I am having a proper conversation with them. As for my mobile, let's just say there isnt much chance of you contacting me on that!
Funnily enough, I had this same thing going on with me when I was a child. I would purposely hold my breath and listen for that *click* before putting the phone down, it isnt as bad now, but I still can't put the phone down first! I have only ever once hung-up on someone, they were being very nasty to me and I still felt bad!!

Yes

Okay, lately I've been talking to five different INFJ friends of mine on the phone at different times and I've noticed something we all share in one way or another.

We're all reluctant to be the first one to hang up the phone. It's just a vague discomfort hanging up for me where as for some of them they just can't hang up first at all.

Yeah, I know it's strange but there it is. Each of us will hold multi-hour conversations (very intense like) but then when it comes to needing to say goodbye, we stop and sort of...if you could stare at a person through the phone that's what we'd be doing.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes I have definitely noticed that.
I especially like how you defined it as stareing at eachother, thats funny, but pretty true, lol ;)

Yes

Okay, lately I've been talking to five different INFJ friends of mine on the phone at different times and I've noticed something we all share in one way or another.

We're all reluctant to be the first one to hang up the phone. It's just a vague discomfort hanging up for me where as for some of them they just can't hang up first at all.

Yeah, I know it's strange but there it is. Each of us will hold multi-hour conversations (very intense like) but then when it comes to needing to say goodbye, we stop and sort of...if you could stare at a person through the phone that's what we'd be doing.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes I have definitely noticed that.
I especially like how you defined it as stareing at eachother, thats funny, but pretty true, lol ;)

What are you on about? INFJs can't pick up the damn phone!
This comment gave me a good laugh. I'm with those of you who don't particularly like using the telephone. I don't even own a cell phone.

And I HA-A-ATE telemarketers. I used to be one long ago and I know what they're doing. I usually tune completely out until they take their first breath, and then I say, "no, but thank you." And hang up without waiting for a response.
You are much kinder than I am in those situations, arbygil. :)

Lol I have this problem. I run into this with my sister a lot, shes very much a chatterbox. I'm usually stuck in conversation with her for 40 minutes or so, unable to figure out how to bring up that there are other things I need to tend to (I get guilt stricken even thinking of mentioning a goodbye, worrying of the other person thinking I've become uninterested or worrying that I may have caused some sort of offense), so I've always just waited for the other person until they are ready to say their goodbyes. This always seems to happen to me when I've just made myself a nice, warm meal. And after enduring the seemingly endless conversation, I'm left with my cold dinner and my frustration of being incapable to end our conversion. But then sometimes I think, I should practice and try to actually enjoy the fact that people even bother to call me in the first place. Lol :)

I shouldn't stress so much, though. In my head, I make it out to be this rude/mean thing, and, really, I don't think anyone cares that much.

Yes, me, too! Generally I'm worse in person though I've gotten better over the years by observing that other people tend to handle conversation conclusions a lot better than me so I mimic them, and by reminding myself that they probably don't notice.

As for phones, which I DETEST (I am still triumphantly cell phone free!) I pretty much only talk to people when I have to and most of them know I am not big on phone-talking anyhow so it's okay. However, I do tend to want the other person to hang up first. Every time! Even when I'm trying to get rid of someone I don't want to talk to (as in, a friend or family member I just don't want to hear from - I have no problem hanging up on solicitors). And even if I'm having a rare, awesome conversation with one of the few people I actually enjoy conversations with over the phone, I still wait for them to hang up first. Ugh. :wink:

What are you on about? INFJs can't pick up the damn phone!

ROFL! Nailed it on the head there. I'm worse in that I have no caller ID so I let the answering machine get it and screen the call that way. :rolleyes: