Why are we here? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Why are we here?

Lem...you just came to play with the monkeys hahaha! :D

When I read Sophie's world a few years ago (introduction to philosophy) something struck me. The author says that philosophers are like children. They are the one who keep being in awe at things and questionning them, wondering why. Adults who accept ready made answers close themselves to philosophy.

Probably not a good summary but your post made me think about it.

You know when kids go through the "Why?" stage. whatever you say to them, their response is "Why?" This drives parents crazy, so what usually happens is the parent will eventually say "It just does" and when the kid again says "Why?" the parent replies "It just does". I think this could have a profound effect on how children see the world. this is the time that they are learning how the world works. they are pre programmed to ask this question over and over so they get to the bottom of what makes things tick. by replying with "It just does" you are teaching your child that some things just happen without a process to cause it to happen. perhaps our parents didn't say "it just does" as often to us.

Well there are few of us; and very few people can understand us.

My intuition says there's still a reason for intuitives. Anyone want to aruge with that? :wink:

As I see it - and I have never left North America - humanity needs guidance. Society is busy inventing technology and the latest craze, but to what end? What's the goal? It's like the blind leading the blind - where is humanity heading? What direction are we setting ourselves?

I have a theory about INFJ's:
We are missing a lot of the things that people are pre-programmed to believe. Have you ever gone to try something new and somebody said to you "you don't do that" and when you said "why" they looked confused and couldn't give you an answer. Then you got confused about why they couldn't get their head around such a simple question as "why do you believe that?"

It's like Poetic Justice said - we're not afraid to ask why. We're not afraid to make a new status quo. We're not afraid to look for change (and that's a scary word for many folks). We can help humanity mature from being governed by rules to being governed by wisdom. We're able to see the cliffs we're heading towards, and we can point people in a better direction.

Clearly, we need to take over the world! :thumb:

And that's why we're all coming together in this forum!
Cool, I just answered both questions in one post! :D

Also, I vote for Holy Smoke's wisdom to appear in glorious fashion!

Last edited:
Anyone else get the feeling that intuitives are the latest step in human evolution?

I was reading something about this the other day where the author was saying all people will evolve intuitively. In my real time life the most surprising people have said very intuitive things lately. It's happened enough now so that I don't think it's just a coincidental thing. Maybe the evolution is going to happen rapidly.
There are a lot of people who think there will be a complete shift as we near 2012 when everyone will learn a new way to think. A gigantic awakening supposedly.
*shrug*
I'm always instantly wary of this kind of talk but it's fun to think about.

*watches as Sumone gently tiptoes around my trap*

Last edited:
Yes, true. I can't type much, (finger in splint), phew, the potential to rant is large, but I do love to laugh at myself and with others and can do that here a fair amount of the time.

Beyond that, I see this as a serious place where understanding and healing take place, an exchange between people that would never have happened otherwise and even more rare, a unique connection in a way that I can't easily access in my (other) world outside my immediate family.

My motivations are frequently misunderstood so I avoid a lot of people, but I have also accumulated a lot of experience in my life. However, I'm private and tend not to share with the general public. Here I share more. I am one to trust, to know, to a few. I've made faking extroversion down to an art. I will socialize better than any other if I have to for the benefit of my children or for a larger social benefit. Some INFJs understand this. I dont always have to explain myself. Not always, anyway and that is quite nice.

Ow. Ow and more ow. Gotta go.

This resonates with me, though I've been here only a short time. Still, from reading through the various threads, what you describe seems to be the spirit of this place. And I am glad to be among you.

Oh, and I empathize with the finger splint. I just got out of a hand brace for a broken thumb. Typing was NOT fun and I found it easier just to type in all lower case. Hope you heal quickly.

Last edited:
Regarding intuition, I always have the feeling that there's more to it; there's more than I can do with it but I'm just out of reach of the key.

That is so true ....I have felt that way for many years......Well I think poeple were created for relationship and this is one way to relate to other people on a much more personal level than has been possible for most of us before this forum....

This is something to which I've dedicated a lot of my time, ever since I was first diagnosed as INFJ many years ago.

Lulz

We are the first self-aware generation of defined intuitives, and the existence of this website means we're looking for each other. Why?

:m075:

Are we here to influence the world positively? Negatively?

Just to influence the world probably.

But if intuitives where to say disappear one day, would all human progress halt? Or would their be some other variety of creativity in the absence of intuition.

What are your thoughts on the reason why you were born as, or became an intuitive?

God wants to make my life overly complicated.

Or its an indestructible part of human nature, every humans nature. And I as an intuitive choose to pay attention to it. Everyone is born with intuition, intuitives for whatever reason choose to follow it.

:m075:

When I read Sophie's world a few years ago (introduction to philosophy) something struck me. The author says that philosophers are like children. They are the one who keep being in awe at things and questionning them, wondering why. Adults who accept ready made answers close themselves to philosophy.

Probably not a good summary but your post made me think about it.

yeah!
love this book. gotta get another one soon.
I especially love the ending. In general, the ending was that the characters realised that they were in a book and escaped to reality. thats a very very long story short. In general, what is there to prove that we arn't also in a book, just that we just don't know about? maybe our purpose is to figure that out and get everyone out of the book.

Anyone else get the feeling that intuitives are the latest step in human evolution?

No. Intuitives have been around since ancient times, the four personality temperament system would class Phlegmatic and Cholerics are intuitive, we ain't nothing new.

But then I don't believe we evolved from apes so I'm not going back that far *shrug*

I was diagnosed as an INFJ a few years ago and now I can't stop researching about my type HA that's how i ended up here :D Maybe all INFJ's are psychic and know how to find each other? Know that there are others like them that share those fucked feelings we all have :D

HEY HEY HEY. THERE'S A DIFFERENT TOPIC FOR ALL THAT EVOLUTION JUNK.
Geez!
:D

I think this forum is here because we are all lost souls that have this horrible natural instinct to do, to create, to reach towards something much greater than ourselves, while still being stuck in the redundant processes that are assigned to us by a traditionalist society.

I think intuitives exist to create growth when growth is needed, and to derail that traditionalist society when the need is presented. If everyone lived in the here-and-now, then the past would be lost and the future would be chaotic; we need a certain amount of people to predict and to reroute.

I always thought it was interesting that intuitives only make up about 1/4 of the population. It makes sense, in many ways; if we had too many intuitives, we'd have uninhibited growth and basic chaos as things would change too much too quickly. We need the steadiness and concreteness of S's, and we need more people who function traditionally in order for our society to function without too many people rocking the boat. It's hard not having a whole lot of people to relate to, but, all things considered, it might be for the better. I think nature may have had a plan there.

Very well put GO, I agree.

I am here to know if we are all humans and not aliens from another galaxy that just happened to invaded Earth some time ago. That's just me. I don't know about you guys.