What would you like to tell the child you once were? | INFJ Forum

What would you like to tell the child you once were?

aerosol

American trash
Jan 16, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Wow, pretentious title. But anyway.

Naturally, I find myself wishing I knew things before I actually knew them. It would have helped me a lot. Then again that is how life is and blah blah.

I'll go first:

Don't be so damned awkward. If people talk to you, respond with your first impulse and don't think before you speak because you think things over too much. I know that sounds weird but, please, you over-analyze everything in your tiny little head. People will find your hesistant and awkward ways... well, weird. If people like to talk, and they're talking to you, then chances are they just want to have a conversation and that they do not judge every little thing you say.

Reactions: Gaze
TAKE A FUCKING RIGHT TURN AT ALBUQUERQUE NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU.

If anything, I would tell myself this:

"You're right. don't worry, you're right."

Learn to forgive yourself and to not blame yourself. if you can do that, your teenage years are just going to be so much easier.

Reactions: deivejek2|9
If I were to meet the kid I was in middle school, I would playfully punch him in the arm and smile, and then laugh. I think that would be the most meaningful message that I could convey.

Be meaner and dont worry about your grades. You have to take all those classes over again in college anyway.

Run away from school... do anything you can to get away from that place, otherwise it will haunt for the rest your life.

I would tell him "ur gay" over myspace chat. But in all seriousness...

When you get to 18, don't waste time or money on university. Instead apply to the civil service, get them to pay for it plus they get more holidays, tax waivers, discounts at stores and are never expected to actually work but best of all they have this cool thing called a union which prevents them from being fired without years of notice. There is one disadvantage the rest of the country will hate you but don't worry about it because it's only jealousy and you would feel the same in their place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
Stop caring what people think of you. Make as much money as you can so you can retire early. I know you don't like money but having a lot of it will allow you to do what you really want. Watch your health and don't let food take over you life. Know that many of the old friends you thought you knew are going to leave you. Understand your parents will never give you what you need emotionally. Move to Seattle as soon as you can Spokane will only suffocate you. Don't be afraid to tell people who hurt you to drop dead. And lastly don't ever apologize for being who you are.

Leave home and join the Circus.

Reactions: WellNoWonder
"Don't shirk learning the whole art and music thing; you'll miss being unable to do it later"

You are a beautiful, intelligent and talented little girl. Believe in yourself no matter what they say.

Reactions: DrShephard and Gaze
Never be afraid to say what you want or need.

Don't get stuck in certain thought patterns.

Get good grades...please?

Other than that this is still an on going process and I should be telling myself right NOW what I should be doing and trying to accomplish. I did screw my life up from an early age but I am here now and should be making a change with my life right NOW. I was lazy in my youth but that turned out to be a bonus, so I won't add that in. ^_^

Stop caring what people think of you.

Understand your parents will never give you what you need emotionally.
Don't be afraid to tell people who hurt you to drop dead.
And lastly don't ever apologize for being who you are.
^ Those for sure. There's a common denominator there of having too much of one's identity and self esteem dependent upon the perceptions of others which was an issue in my younger years.

Moreover, I'd say:

"You know how everyone around you seems to be living life in a certain way, trying to be a certain kind of person? And how they keep telling you that you are wrong, dress wrong, listen to the wrong kind of music and read the wrong books? How they punish you, scream at you, invade your privacy and try to dominate your autonomy? You know how they make strike after strike on your identity, sense of free will and freedom because they're afraid if you think for yourself and live your own way, you'll become an awful trainwreck of a human being? How they criticize your physical appearance, creative interests, friends and dreams for life? How they manipulate the situation so that any protests you make are only regarded as further evidence of your dubious nature and so-called 'disrespectful, oppositional attitude' that must be changed by a mix of therapy and even tighter control and invasiveness? How they want to control what you can and can't do with your body and who you can and can't do it with? And how they make it seem as if the wisest choice you could ever make is to trust their opinions on who you need to be instead of your own because, unlike you, they are not stupid and misguided and on a path of irrevocably destroying their life by following some deluded, youthful sense of identity.

You know how you feel a constant, simmering rage and indignation at the way you are being treated and how you know it isn't right but you can't pinpoint exactly why? That feeling isn't wrong. Do not let them convince you of it. You're not wrong. That feeling is life - your own potential boiling up inside of you and it does not want to be caged in antiquated ideologies, neurotic fear and sick projections from broken people. It is okay to fight back. It is okay to be 'oppositional'. It is okay to believe in yourself and pursue who you want to be despite being attacked for it. Do not let that anger consume you - but harness it for good. You've been given the gift of an unbreakable spirit and you're going to be perfectly fine, making a great life for yourself out of everything that they told you would ruin you."

I'd have to write him a handbook for it to do more good than harm.

know that people will always treat as deficient or missing something, but you have the right to recognize that you have a self outside of what people think of you. People will impose their thoughts and expectations on you, to prove to you that you're just as smart or naive as they think you are, because they want to think better of themselves. They will screw you up emotionally, without intention, because they don't know better, and you will be responsible for how they see you and treat you. And you will think you're responsible for how they see you, and in some ways you are, and in other ways, you're not. They were biased and prejudiced enough and because they see your desire to please, and willingness to believe them, they will exploit that innocence. They will see you as socially incompetent because you're not comfortable expressing yourself the way they think you should. They will want to see, from their perspective, confidence so that they can then decide you're worthy enough of their respect. But their respect matters little. Your self respect matters more.

Your insecurities are yours to acknowledge, and NOT a good or justifiable reason to be belittled. Nothing wrong with feeling uncertain about life and what will happen. It's ok to enjoy a moment at a time. They will treat you as an emotional basket case, but all you really need is understanding; don't let them convince you that you're deserving of their scorn. Feel insecure about fitting it if you want, but don't feel obligated to be something they want to make them feel more accepting. You have a lot to learn chica, but you'll be fine. When you get older, you'll reach a point when your self respect matters more than anything, no matter what trials or tribs you go through. Your issues may not be as seemingly relevant compared to anyone else's, but always treasure your spirit.

Not everyone has to like or understand you for you to feel respected for who you are. It's ok if no one gets it. They will make you feel you owe them everything or at least a part of yourself but you only owe what you owe, nothing more. You belongs to you. You're not someone's possession, neither friend, family, or anyone else. You will meet people who are judgmental, bossy, and controlling, and don't care about how others are affected by their attitudes. You will feel intimidated, lost, confused, and out of control. You will feel that they are right about you, that you're not good enough or not proven yourself. But you don't prove anything to anyone but yourself. Value yourself because no one else will. Do not depend on what people think about you. You are more than that. It doesn't mean you're going to be the greatest or best person in the world. It means, you are human, and you have a right to be just as flawed as everyone else without being made to feel less for it. And being smart is just a front. Your sensitivity can be a crutch, don't let it dominate your personality. Learn to develop your strengths as an individual, but recognize your weaknesses. You will feel so much better. Being liked by boys is not a be all and end all chica. That's not where your value lies. People think too much of their opinion and they thrive on the idea that you believe their opinion matters more than it does. Your opinion matters more. That's all for now. And don't forget to enjoy quiet moments within yourself, because that's where you thrive. :) Love you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Korg
I'd wouldn't say anything, because I ultimately learned a lot through my mistakes - a lot more than I would have if I had taken my future self's word for it.

Or I'd present myself as a stranger and I'd ask questions, because I'm curious. I'm curious as to what I was thinking...

Agapooka