What/Who were your spiritual influences? (Or what led you away from Spirituality) | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What/Who were your spiritual influences? (Or what led you away from Spirituality)

You may find this talk interesting. I guess I'm more of a pereniallist than Orthodox, (if I even need to identify myself at all!) but Orthodoxy works for me for maintaining that deep connection and internal harmony.

Anyway, my knowledge of the saints is limited at best. I do have a book about the now St. Paisios of Mount Athos which is really good. He has a whole series of spiritual teachings I'd like to eventually dive into (He was canonized in 2015 I think) Seraphim of Sarov is excellent. Though not a saint, Kallistos Ware is an excellent theologian. He has several videos on the webs.

Many thanks for this - I’m very sympathetic with this viewpoint. An interesting and well presented talk too. It reminds me of the Buddhist parable:

upload_2018-12-12_0-8-56.jpeg

I’m a cradle Catholic myself and ok with it. When I run dry spiritually, which happens a lot, the Church provides a natural external rhythm and discipline that carries me across these deserts, and it’s filled with the Spirit across the centuries. It has its problems but so do all institutions with people in them lol. I think of it as analogous to the place where I live or the language I speak. I happen to have settled with the ones I was born with but if I had been born elsewhere I’d have been happy there just as much. I love to visit the others places and they are filled with the Spirit too. The main journey for me is inwards and there are few institutions there beyond the first sections of the way. There are others in the Forum who seem to have this sort of perspective too which is very comforting.

Many thanks for this - I’m very sympathetic with this viewpoint. An interesting and well presented talk too. It reminds me of the Buddhist parable:

View attachment 46313

I’m a cradle Catholic myself and ok with it. When I run dry spiritually, which happens a lot, the Church provides a natural external rhythm and discipline that carries me across these deserts, and it’s filled with the Spirit across the centuries. It has its problems but so do all institutions with people in them lol. I think of it as analogous to the place where I live or the language I speak. I happen to have settled with the ones I was born with but if I had been born elsewhere I’d have been happy there just as much. I love to visit the others places and they are filled with the Spirit too. The main journey for me is inwards and there are few institutions there beyond the first sections of the way. There are others in the Forum who seem to have this sort of perspective too which is very comforting.
I hear ya, good sir. I should've been Catholic. My dad's side of the family is and my exes entire family is as well. For some reason, (my step mom and her baptist roots) it wasn't a part of my upbringing. I spent most of my life as an athiest up until the day it became impossible to continue. Sorry I'm being short, gotta go!

Hi all,
It's been awhile since I logged in. I've been busy with school and stuff. My views have changed quite a bit since the original post. I looked into some of the sources you suggested. Wish I could have went through them all by now, but again, I am very busy. But thank you for all of your help.

It's been a couple of months since I firmly said to myself that I think I am an atheist. Not that I'm saying I know there is no God....but after reviewing several testimonies and reasons that people give for believing in God, I don't find them to be valid enough reasons for myself to believe He/She/It exists. Surprisingly, it has been an easy transition....almost a relief actually. The only difficult thing really is knowing that 95% of my family is conservative Christian.

Also, I think it was @kinglear that suggested Alan Watts. Listening to him has helped tremendously with my anxiety.

Hi all,
It's been awhile since I logged in. I've been busy with school and stuff. My views have changed quite a bit since the original post. I looked into some of the sources you suggested. Wish I could have went through them all by now, but again, I am very busy. But thank you for all of your help.

It's been a couple of months since I firmly said to myself that I think I am an atheist. Not that I'm saying I know there is no God....but after reviewing several testimonies and reasons that people give for believing in God, I don't find them to be valid enough reasons for myself to believe He/She/It exists. Surprisingly, it has been an easy transition....almost a relief actually. The only difficult thing really is knowing that 95% of my family is conservative Christian.

Also, I think it was @kinglear that suggested Alan Watts. Listening to him has helped tremendously with my anxiety.

I think it's about being true to ourselves Mistify and following the star that is set out just for each of us - and not just getting tangled up in collectives. Hardest is going against the collective of our close family, but that's the right thing to do if that's the only way you can be authentic to yourself. Thankyou for setting this thread going, which like any good thread has spread out in all kinds of interesting ways. I wish you well on your journey and I'm really glad you have found a sign post forward from where you were.

I hear ya, good sir. I should've been Catholic. My dad's side of the family is and my exes entire family is as well. For some reason, (my step mom and her baptist roots) it wasn't a part of my upbringing. I spent most of my life as an athiest up until the day it became impossible to continue. Sorry I'm being short, gotta go!
My dad's family came from Catholic Ireland in the 1860s and 70s so that's where I get it from. I thought my mum's family were conventional English C of E but it turns out she had a good whack of Ulster protestant ancestors too. Explains plenty of Irish inner conflict there lol :D