What/Who were your spiritual influences? (Or what led you away from Spirituality) | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What/Who were your spiritual influences? (Or what led you away from Spirituality)

That's really interesting IC, I wonder...

Your comment about 'designing principles'; do you seek to find the most 'fundamental source' of ethical or moral principles?

Like, if only we looked, we would be able to see the pattern of right living in the very fabric of existence?

Humm... if I had to answer this right now... I would say:

Isn't that a circle?

even here everything always ends up in loops in so many ways... xD

tumblr_lonpj9kqhp1qashouo1_12802.jpg

Humm... if I had to answer this right now... I would say:

Isn't that a circle?

even here everything always ends up in loops in so many ways... xD

tumblr_lonpj9kqhp1qashouo1_12802.jpg

This reminds me of that alien language that was shown in the movie The Arrival lol :p :D

Wmx8Wm.png

P.S. If you haven't watched the movie, I highly recommend it! It's very thought-provoking! ;) :D

Loved it, but I wish the ending was more enigmatic. Like a Tarkovsky film.

I agree with you on that. Would've been nice if they added an additional mystery touch to it. It felt a bit predictable, but it did end on a bittersweet note I must admit. Probably would've done the same if I was in her situation honestly.

"If you could see your whole life from start to finish, would you change things?"- Louise Banks.

This reminds me of that alien language that was shown in the movie The Arrival lol :p :D

Wmx8Wm.png

P.S. If you haven't watched the movie, I highly recommend it! It's very thought-provoking! ;) :D

yeessss! language/hieroglaphics and so on is so great! since the movie had all these ink elements I'm pretty sure that was the thought process exactly <3 <3

and I did!
(I don't get much around these kind of movies even if I wanted to lol)

another movie: Transcendence (2014)

Wmx8Wm.png

aarontcaycedokimura3.png

So what I would like to know is if you have anything you read, watched, listened to etc, that really helped you shape your views on God, spirituality, the supernatural, etc? Like if there was one or two sources that stood apart from the rest?

When I was a teenager I watched a documentary or rather a serie with scientists on television called 'A magnificent accident'. That shaped my first idea that there is no God at all.
Second, when I was about 40 I read a book from Thich nat han (not sure I spell it correctly), and that got me intrested in Bhuddism. After that I read Zhuangzi and got interested in Tao. This book is so full of inspiration to me!

When I was a teenager I watched a documentary or rather a serie with scientists on television called 'A magnificent accident'. That shaped my first idea that there is no God at all.
Second, when I was about 40 I read a book from Thich nat han (not sure I spell it correctly), and that got me intrested in Bhuddism. After that I read Zhuangzi and got interested in Tao. This book is so full of inspiration to me!

:)

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 20

Give up learning, and put an end to your troubles.

Is there a difference between yes and no?
Is there a difference between good and evil?
Must I fear what others fear? What nonsence!
Other people are contented, enjoying the sacrificial feast of the ox.
In spring some go to the park, and climb the terrace,
But I alone am drifting not knowing where I am.
Like a new-born babe before it learns to smile,
I am alone, without a place to go.

Other have more than they need, but I alone have nothing.
I am a fool. Oh, yes! I am confused.
Other men are clear and bright,
But I alone am dim and weak.
Other men are sharp and clever,
But I alone am dull and stupid.
Oh, I drift like the waves of the sea.
Without direction, like the restless wind.

Everyone else is busy,
But I alone am aimless and depressed.
I am different.
I am nourished by the great mother.

Everyone else is busy,
I am different.
In keeping with the theme, I shall post this...

In keeping with the theme, I shall post this...
This is a fascinating light on the parallels isn't it. I've listened to just over half so far, so a bit to go yet - I was intrigued by the confident link he made between the Tao and Heracletus and then on to John's Gospel - and I noted that the translation of John's Gospel into Chinese expresses the Word as the Tao! That is very insightful. This link must carry on right through Christian history I'm sure. I'm not familiar with the Orthodox mystics, but Pseudo Dionysius must be common to both the Orthodox and the Catholic families (if he's considered respectable that is) - the Cloud of Unknowing, Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross are the ones I'm most familiar with and certainly seem to be rooted in some of the same intuitions.

Everyone else is busy,
I am different.

It actually took me some time to understand this section of Tao. Until someone explained what this means. I am not going very deep now, study Tao yourself :smiley:. The I is Tao itself.

Everyone else is busy,
I am different.

Lol, it is not as bad as it sounds. The Tao Te Tjing is not always easy to understand, partially because it originates from a very different culture almost 3000 years ago. A lot is also lost in translation, chinese is very different from english. If someone wants to know more about it I recommend to buy a decent translation with good comments and footnotes.

Did I mess up this post lol?

Last edited:
This is a fascinating light on the parallels isn't it. I've listened to just over half so far, so a bit to go yet - I was intrigued by the confident link he made between the Tao and Heracletus and then on to John's Gospel - and I noted that the translation of John's Gospel into Chinese expresses the Word as the Tao! That is very insightful. This link must carry on right through Christian history I'm sure. I'm not familiar with the Orthodox mystics, but Pseudo Dionysius must be common to both the Orthodox and the Catholic families (if he's considered respectable that is) - the Cloud of Unknowing, Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross are the ones I'm most familiar with and certainly seem to be rooted in some of the same intuitions.
It really is fascinating! Christ the Eternal Tao is a book, and after all these years, I still haven't read it. I don't know if the book goes into the subject any deeper or not.
There is 1000 years of facinating shared ancestry between Orthodox and Catholics. St. John Chrysostom, St. Dionysus the Areopagite (not pseudo), St. Athenasius, etc. I don't know if Catholics consider them Saints though. The Cloud of Unknowing is excellent in dishing out the process of total surrender or dying before you die to experience the fullness of life as it was intended. I'm a little familiar with probably the most popular works of Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. I greatly appreciate the teachings and wisdom of those that "know" no matter their religious identity.

It really is fascinating! Christ the Eternal Tao is a book, and after all these years, I still haven't read it. I don't know if the book goes into the subject any deeper or not.
There is 1000 years of facinating shared ancestry between Orthodox and Catholics. St. John Chrysostom, St. Dionysus the Areopagite (not pseudo), St. Athenasius, etc. I don't know if Catholics consider them Saints though. The Cloud of Unknowing is excellent in dishing out the process of total surrender or dying before you die to experience the fullness of life as it was intended. I'm a little familiar with probably the most popular works of Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. I greatly appreciate the teachings and wisdom of those that "know" no matter their religious identity.

These guys are all considered saints in the Western churches as well as the Orthodox.

I like the simple, clear, humorous :) and practical instruction that The Cloud provides, which is why it means so much to me.

Yes - I'm eternally grateful to all those that "know" or should I say "see" and have tried to express it. When I read someone like Suzuki describing the experience of Satori in Zen Buddhism, or read the poems of the Tao Te Ching, then I'm thinking Yes! - That! just as I am when I read the Christian mystics. It's just that you find yourself in God's presence as well in the Christian experience so there is an incredibly intense dazzling direct relationship - but I think they'll all converge eventually. I'll have to get rid of the "I" bit before I can go there lol.

There must be similar mystics from the Orthodox Church after the 11 Century - do you have any recommendations?

For me it’s always been Kahlil Gibran.

http://www.katsandogz.com/gibran.html

On Pain
Kahlil Gibran

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.
And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy;
And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.
And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief.

Much of your pain is self-chosen.
It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity:
For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,
And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears.

Hmmm. You know, the older I get, the more I’ve been leaning towards spirituality more than anything. Not sure whether to focus more towards Taoism or Buddhism—will need to do more researching before I decide.

As I mentioned before somewhere in the forum when I was in my teens, I used to be a Christian and attended a Baptist church. I was quite involved in it too; however; over time when I started facing my own realities, the harshness of life, and integrated more into the sciences, I sort of lost that grasp to Christianity or rather religion as a whole.

Additionally, I want to state that I respect those who believe in a particular faith or God; nothing wrong with that—it is just no longer the path for me. I still highly respect religious perspectives and views. I do also want to say that I like to keep an open mind; I am more agnostic than atheist.

For now, I would say I highly value a variety of sorts—many scientific, philosophical, spiritual, and social figures that have made huge contributions to society and humanity as a whole.

Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Gautama Buddha, Stephen Hawking, Copernicus, Newton, Plato, Hume, Kant, Carl Sagan, etc.

Last edited:
As time goes on, I am starting to appreciate the solace that religion and spirituality gives people. When I was younger, an explorer of ideas, I arrived at agnosticism. I'm largely apathetic towards the question of God's existence. If God is real, no-one would or could understand God because God is not bound by logic.

Suppose I spent my life on such questions, the result would be a career as a theologian or academic philosopher. These paths in life are not for the faint of heart and generally necessitate material austerity.

An ascetic I am not.

These guys are all considered saints in the Western churches as well as the Orthodox.

I like the simple, clear, humorous :) and practical instruction that The Cloud provides, which is why it means so much to me.

Yes - I'm eternally grateful to all those that "know" or should I say "see" and have tried to express it. When I read someone like Suzuki describing the experience of Satori in Zen Buddhism, or read the poems of the Tao Te Ching, then I'm thinking Yes! - That! just as I am when I read the Christian mystics. It's just that you find yourself in God's presence as well in the Christian experience so there is an incredibly intense dazzling direct relationship - but I think they'll all converge eventually. I'll have to get rid of the "I" bit before I can go there lol.

There must be similar mystics from the Orthodox Church after the 11 Century - do you have any recommendations?

You may find this talk interesting. I guess I'm more of a pereniallist than Orthodox, (if I even need to identify myself at all!) but Orthodoxy works for me for maintaining that deep connection and internal harmony.

Anyway, my knowledge of the saints is limited at best. I do have a book about the now St. Paisios of Mount Athos which is really good. He has a whole series of spiritual teachings I'd like to eventually dive into (He was canonized in 2015 I think) Seraphim of Sarov is excellent. Though not a saint, Kallistos Ware is an excellent theologian. He has several videos on the webs.