What is the highest level of math you have taken? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

What is the highest level of math you have taken?

I go to Montana State University.
Organic chemistry has no math, and I don't like math. It just fits my brain, and I just love it so so so much. . If you concider yourself a conceptual person you will like it. Like you, before I had organic I prefered gen chem (or as you call it, inorganic. True inorganic in my school is a course you take after quantum physical chemistry, which I have next semester.) What I really like about organic chemistry, is the mechanisms. In which you explain what happens to molecules in between reactions conditions, and it explains why it does what it does, and what shape it will be. Here is a very basic organic reaction called an Sn2 reaction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN2_reaction
Yeah that's what I've heard about it. But I happen to loooove math, so I dunno if I'll like it better than inorganic or not. We shall see when the time comes. =3

Yeah that's what I've heard about it. But I happen to loooove math, so I dunno if I'll like it better than inorganic or not. We shall see when the time comes. =3

If you like math, you will very likely love physical chemistry.

That's cool. What level of math do you teach?
One of my choices when we were.. I guess you can say "career searching" back in high school was to be a math teacher. Math was always my all-time favorite subject next to chemistry. I would of wanted to teach Trigonometry or Pre-Calculus. =3

In NYS I was certified for grades 5-12 math, and in ON grades 7-12. "Was" because I let my certification expire - I only taught for a year, high school math. I quickly realized that the classroom was NOT for me! :lol: But I do tutor on the side still.

Vector Calculus (although not a full course, the rest is done in a second part 'Mathematics for the physical sciences').
Doing the second part and Differential equations & Linear algebra next semester. For some stupid reason in my major, we do the rest of the second year math in the last semester even though it would be more useful to do it earlier.

What do people here like and dislike about math? I can't say I find math 'easy' as it takes lot of work to understand what it actually means as the language of mathematics is very concise.

I also make tons of mistakes and can have difficulties with the more slippery aspects (trigonometric identities is a often encountered example).

Of course most mathematical problems these days are solved using computers, so most mathematicians and practitioners of math dominated sciences have to understand how to program a computer and how this relates to the fundamentals of the math. Of course this can be done in high level languages (Mathematica, Python) etc. Which makes it a lot more accessible.

Eeeh, chemistry never really fit with me...I think it was the way I was taught it, though.
I'm much more of a conceptual physics person :D

What do you mean by 'conceptual physics'?
Chemistry is ultimately applied quantum mechanics (garden variety rather than quantum electrodynamics which adds unnecessary complexity) which is where the spectra that Indigo mentioned arises from. Or statistical mechanics/thermodynamics I guess.

But I had to drop out of QM3 this semester because of lack of mathematical skills (aforementioned) and also ongoing health reasons. :(

I took trig in high school and took a stats class in college.

I've made it up to Calculus II, and I didn't think that was that difficult.

But for those of you that don't like math and are looking for easier college classes, STAY AWAY from Abstract Algebra. It may be disguised with the name Modern Algebra, but you should be fairly safe because it usually has prereq's. I took that and Topics in Geometry one semester. I was so busy all of the time. The entirety of both is made up of writing proof after proof. I'm so glad I didn't have to take Analysis. And yes your teacher can really make a big difference. Although I was always busy in those classes, he was very good at conveying what's really going on. He also showed us a proof about proving the existance of natural numbers. It involved a lot of empty sets and sets containing those empty sets.

I've taken prob & stats which isn't too bad, and have just one more math to take. Mathematical Statistics. It's 400 level so I'm a little worried about what the heck it's about.

Actually now that I think about it, Abstract Algebra and Topics in Geometry were higher level than Calc II.

Last edited:
Ugh. I hate math. Math and I are mortal enemies. I took college math with some calculus applications, and that was enough for me.

Ok, a few pages ago I said I'm teaching myself Calculus...well, that had to be delayed...I haven't done math in a while and had to reteach myself.

I had to start with prealgebra and logarithm laws...yes, that far back. But now I'm almost done with trig (never took a trig class) and have already started my huge Calculus book.

I must say that math is really easy when you like it. I originally wanted to learn math so I could do physics, but now I really am just liking pure math.

Math is just so...beautiful. There is something aesthetically pleasing about it. There is something very satisfying about being able to figure out the dimensions of objects, the scalar displacement of 2 points in space, etc.

On to Calculus. :)

Most math is based on base 10 I think and that works well overall. Some math is based on base 16 which is hexidecimal, and some is based on binary which is base two and in computer lingo, this is machine language as computer processor chips work on this. As far as I can presently tell, geometry and trigonometry and calculus are basically useless.

I was a slooooow math student in my early academic life. I got a D, if I recall properly, in General Business Math where they teach you to balance a checkbook and such. I took advanced math and physics on a dare as a junior or senior in high school and had light bulbs going off all over the place. I received solid A's in both. I think the highest straight math I took in college was calculus, but I did go on to get an accounting degree.

Theoretical type math was so much more engaging to me than arithmetic. I don't think I really have a natural mind for math though. It doesn't come easily to me, but once I am in the mind-frame I do well enough and can even have fun with it.

Last year I took pre calculus. I'm still in high school I don't plan one taking any more math till college. Then I'll only take the minimum. Honestly I don't care for it like I used to when I was little. I loved fractions (hated decimals) because I could draw something to represent it. (1/2 of a pie) (It was all easy then) But I did enjoy geometry. Strange because it all seems fairly S of me to like to be able to see the math problems represented . Or maybe it's more metaphorical to want to compare math to an object. So it is N; blah whatever:m083:

I hate math. The highest I have taken is Pre-calc and I should be taking Stats soon.

Ok, a few pages ago I said I'm teaching myself Calculus...well, that had to be delayed...I haven't done math in a while and had to reteach myself.

I had to start with prealgebra and logarithm laws...yes, that far back. But now I'm almost done with trig (never took a trig class) and have already started my huge Calculus book.

I must say that math is really easy when you like it. I originally wanted to learn math so I could do physics, but now I really am just liking pure math.

Math is just so...beautiful. There is something aesthetically pleasing about it. There is something very satisfying about being able to figure out the dimensions of objects, the scalar displacement of 2 points in space, etc.

On to Calculus. :)

More proof, that you are indeed, crazy! Crazy I say!!!

Calculus... *grumbles* Have fun when you get to sums, searies, and sequences!...

. As far as I can presently tell, geometry and trigonometry and calculus are basically useless.

Hahahaha, oooooooooh that couldn't me more wrong. Trust me, math is used everywhere, and is very very useful. We wouldn't be where we are without it, particulary calculus.

Most math is based on base 10 I think and that works well overall. Some math is based on base 16 which is hexidecimal, and some is based on binary which is base two and in computer lingo, this is machine language as computer processor chips work on this. As far as I can presently tell, geometry and trigonometry and calculus are basically useless.

Tell this to just about anyone that works in the sciences.

Plus, geometry, trig, and calculus still work in binary...the arithmetic is just different. Base 10 or base 2 doesn't make a right triangle not right.

More proof, that you are indeed, crazy! Crazy I say!!!

Calculus... *grumbles* Have fun when you get to sums, searies, and sequences!...

I thought INFJs could appreciate the beauty of math myself. It's gorgeous in my opinion.

Math...isn't bad, when it's applicable. I actually like having the power of solving problems, but I don't really like math for the sake of it. Which is why I like physics a helluva lot more than just math; I mean, calculus was basically created for the purpose of applying it to physics.

But yeah. I don't like math class, which is all math. I do like physics, though, which applies the math. That's okay. But that's also why I'll be taking AP Calc AB next year instead of BC...I don't really care to do that much work, even if I could.

Tell this to just about anyone that works in the sciences.

Plus, geometry, trig, and calculus still work in binary...the arithmetic is just different. Base 10 or base 2 doesn't make a right triangle not right.

I thought INFJs could appreciate the beauty of math myself. It's gorgeous in my opinion.

Appreciate, maybe. Do? No. That's a big ol' lovely NT thing, far as I can see! NTs love their math, man...

Appreciate, maybe. Do? No. That's a big ol' lovely NT thing, far as I can see! NTs love their math, man...

My ENTP friend would really disagree. She can appreciate it (and even finds it sexy for some odd reason), but she hates doing it.

My ENTP friend would really disagree. She can appreciate it (and even finds it sexy for some odd reason), but she hates doing it.

LOL! There are always exceptions to the rule...but ya know? Math is *not* sexy. Certain men are, but not math by itself! So she still hits the NT barriers with math.

LOL! There are always exceptions to the rule...but ya know? Math is *not* sexy. Certain men are, but not math by itself! So she still hits the NT barriers with math.

I'll have to ask for her clarification, but she has said, "Math is sexy." Perhaps she means that men that can do math well are sexy, but I'll have to ask to be sure.

I have taken an intermediate algebra class this spring quarter and I'm trying to get into stats. I have found that math is a most interesting subject of life. I would so love to meet people who just think like this and are masters in this area.