what is perfect? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

what is perfect?

I can't help being a skeptic. If we don't have proof of the existence of any kind of divinity, how can we know that what we deem perfection here is derrived from it?

Seems like all I do is ask questions 'round here lately... haha..

I can't help being a skeptic. If we don't have proof of the existence of any kind of divinity, how can we know that what we deem perfection here is derrived from it?

Seems like all I do is ask questions 'round here lately... haha..

How do you know that you exist and not merely just a brain in a vat?

Actually perfection is not subjective, its not a path. It is one of the most objective truths there are as it is based on axioms and is proved by mathematics - GOLDEN mean/ratio, divine proportion.

Whatever we percieve as extraordinarily pleasing - mysteriously ends up having this golden section; such as Mozart music, art, nature, architecture, breeding of animals etc..

Therefore, it may be that humans are genetically programmed to recognize the ratio as being pleasing :)

Last edited:
Actually perfection is not subjective, its not a path. It is one of the most objective truths there are as it is based on axioms and is proved my mathematics - GOLDEN mean/ratio, divine intervention.

Whatever we percieve as extraordinarily pleasing - mysteriously ends up having this golden section; such as Mozart music, art, nature, architecture, breeding of animals etc..

Therefore, it may be that humans are genetically programmed to recognize the ratio as being pleasing :)
Not everyone recognizes these things as pleasing.

I don't know that! :wacko:

My point exactly. When one's own existence and experience can be called into question, a matter of evidence is a moot point. I think that man cannot live in a state of constant fence riding in that matter, and a leap of faith must be taken regarding the question of one's very own existence. Either I clearly exist, or this idea of my self must be part of something that I cannot begin to comprehend.

My point exactly. When one's own existence and experience can be called into question, a matter of evidence is a moot point. I think that man cannot live in a state of constant fence riding in that matter, and a leap of faith must be taken regarding the question of one's very own existence. Either I clearly exist, or this idea of my self must be part of something that I cannot begin to comprehend.
I was kind of joking.
But yes.. it's all a leap of faith. And I'm not really comfortable with that.. so I tend to do a lot of fence sitting.. But I see your point..
I'm quite sure I exist. I mean, I think, therefore--

I was kind of joking.
But yes.. it's all a leap of faith. And I'm not really comfortable with that.. so I tend to do a lot of fence sitting.. But I see your point..
I'm quite sure I exist. I mean, I think, therefore--

Hm. Could the comfort that I feel after making that decision and leap of faith pertain to the J in me? Or am I not understanding the typology implications quite clearly?

So Renes Descartes is sitting in a bar, and the bartender begins to make last call. He asks Renes, "Hey, it is last call. Do you want anything to drink?" Renes Descartes responds, "Eh, I think not" and POOF. He disappears.

Could be an mbti thing..
I'm not comfortable making any definitive decisions because I find it a bit restrictive in most cases. That's a very P thing.. And then feeling that decisions should be reached and conclusions drawn; feeling uncomfortable to leave things open-ended is a very J thing, I'd say.

Like the Descartes joke! lol

Non Existent on the Physical Plane

Perfection is fleeting..

A perfect sunrise.
a perfect flower.
a perfect day.

Hey I'm Viscid how's it going

Perfection is completely subjective. Someone could find fault in the very quality of perfection, and something which someone finds fault in can't possibly be perfect to that person, can it? A perfect car could well in fact be one that emits an exhorberant amount of pollution, if that's one of the qualities expects for a car to be perfect.

Since this is a thread about perfection I'll save my argument against 'self' for another day.

It depends on how you define perfection. Is perfection the absolute best of something, or is it a relative best? Very interesting question though; I suppose something would be considered perfect without flaws, but I am not even sure on that.

Because it might not exist!
And that's interesting, if it doesn't exist, how did anyone come to the idea that it does?

People come up with lots of things that don't exist, dude!

Why perfection, though? Well, perfection's just a motivator; it's the ideal in which there is nothing more to achieve. It's something everyone strives for, but can never have. It's an instinctual drive, bestowed upon us by evolution, and has no end.

It is totally subjective, because you can find perfection in perceived flaws themselves. I like the idea of it being a tool for human motivation... I suppose in that case it would have to be subjective in order for us all to fulfill our own purpose. I'm not so sure I would be so quick to think that it's not achievable though....

well i suppose the idea of attainment of perfection is also subjective - it's just a concept & as 'real' as any other perception

Perfect is a figment of the imagination.

Me!