What do you guys think about Arizona's new immigration law? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What do you guys think about Arizona's new immigration law?

I have a much simpler and more effective plan to eliminate illegal immigration: make all immigration legal.

Immigration already is legal. Some people just don't want to go through the proper channels because it is a lengthy and expensive process.

Then it is Arizona's problem. If a local officer decides to bug Hispanic citizens using this law, then it would be a violation of their 14th amendment rights, Section 1.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The state would be sued, lose a lot of money and the law would likely be overturned by a high court. As such, it falls on Arizona to train their local law enforcement to be very careful about who they question.

Seconding this. People are so quick to blame the law for being power-abusive. When in reality this does not happen often at all. As satya said, if officers crossed the line, then they would get the state, the department, and themselves in A LOT of trouble. Coupled with the high profile picture of this law as it is, it will be sniffed out right away and put to a stop.

People are getting their emotions in the way (and damn do I feel funny saying that) of this thinking it is an unfair law. When in reality, it is a fair law, they just want everyone to have equal opertunity. The unfortonate problem is equal oppertunity is impossible.

Regardless, it's how our courts operate. It's how we as citizens are treated.

Illegal Immigrants arn't U.S. Citizens

Immigration already is legal. Some people just don't want to go through the proper channels because it is a lengthy and expensive process.

it's not just lengthy and expensive, it's IMPOSSIBLE for a large percentage of the desiring population to qualify, have a heart.. people are only looking for a better life. immigration policies are unfair to begin with.

She said racial profiling would not be tolerated, adding, “We have to trust our law enforcement.”
Again, how else can they enforce this law without racial profiling? Also, trusting law enforcement is the last thing I want to do. "Yeah, lets trust those who can do as they wish with us. They're sure to have our best interests at heart."

I reiterate, many of our ancestors did not "immigrate" here legally, and the land of Arizona was stolen from Mexico (and the Mexicans living on it) through the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

it's not just lengthy and expensive, it's IMPOSSIBLE for a large percentage of the desiring population to qualify, have a heart.. people are only looking for a better life. immigration policies are unfair to begin with.

Then we need immigration reform.

what about the citizens whom are/could be harassed for not carrying "papers"?

Well they should carry them with them. It's not hard. I carry my ID with me at all times, and so do most everyone in this country (if they don't they should). If they need more documentation I am sure it can fit in a wallet purse without much of a problem.

I am perfectly fine with reporting the illegals who have committed any other crimes against this nation other than the fact that they are here without proper documentation, this country does not need more conflicts. It just bugs me to see those who are doing the jobs that nobody else wants be treated in such a way, many of this people have been in these country for many years, paying their taxes without really getting no benefit in return, trying to accustomed to American society and basically working like slaves. In my eyes, that shows more work and loyalty to the American nation than many of the immigrants who have come here legally. The fact is that many Americans main argument against this is that perhaps Mexican culture is taking over the US..didn't all other immigration minorities made such impact as well? this issue has been going for centuries and the fact is that every time a new group of immigrants come, they take the jobs that nobody wants..yet how has this country been able to stand on its feet? thanks to the hard work of many of this immigrants. My solution to this is if Americas feel so frustrated about this why don't they simply work on making the border more secure, making it hard for those who are already illegal to become legal but certainly not impossible. Make them work hard for their citizenship.

Again, how else can they enforce this law without racial profiling? Also, trusting law enforcement is the last thing I want to do. "Yeah, lets trust those who can do as they wish with us. They're sure to have our best interests at heart."
I agree, but I think that we cant trust our own police is a different problem.
I reiterate, many of our ancestors did not "immigrate" here legally,
You are right. They came here and killed most of the residents.
and the land of Arizona was stolen from Mexico (and the Mexicans living on it) through the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
So should we give it back?

Then we need immigration reform.

easier said than done, reforms take time and a great deal of cooperation amongst politicians, who are notorious for delaying important decisions. in the meantime people suffer. why wouldn't they try to immigrate illegally? you underestimate the desperation of people who do these kinds of things, they don't have very many other options & are well aware of the risks of being caught and deported back to their home countries.

It will be interesting to see how Arizona enforces the law. In essence, its more meant to send a message than actually be enforced. Only people who are already under suspicion of committing a crime can be questioned. As such, its not like the cops can stop every Hispanic on the street and ask them for their papers.

Do you HONESTLY think the police department will simply respect the rights of citizens, just because the amendment tells them to? They don't do it now! I'm sorry, but Texas has a HUGE problem with cops pulling folks over because they happen to be Black, or Hispanic based on the "suspicion" they might be doing something. If you live in an area with a higher percentage of Blacks or Hispanics, more than likely you've heard of DWB or DWH. Happens often, my friend, rights notwithstanding. And now cops have a legal system to back them up in Arizona. Just...wonderful.

Also, come on. They're illegal aliens, so because they're breaking the law by being here they should be sent home...?

Okay.

Then lets jail all the pot smokers, the jaywalkers, the speeders, and anyone else breaking the law. It's not just about the law, IMO - it's about people. We have people doing the jobs that most Americans wouldn't want. We have the freedoms and rights we have now because someone is doing a job we don't like...and that person is usually an illegal alien.

Are their rights abused? Yes, I think they are. But in some cases going back to their home country is a death sentence. Is it better to work below minimum wage and abused as a babysitter or should we send someone back to get killed because they're not legal here? As long as they are treated with respect and kindness in this country, and they're treated fairly, who are they harming? And what *will* happen to political asylum?

Reactions: bamf
easier said than done, reforms take time and a great deal of cooperation amongst politicians, who are notorious for delaying important decisions. in the meantime people suffer. why wouldn't they try to immigrate illegally? you underestimate the desperation of people who do these kinds of things, they don't have very many other options & are well aware of the risks of being caught and deported back to their home countries.

So America is responsible for the desperation in Mexico?

Instead of trying to make their own country a better place, they are coming here to work illegally without so much as a work visa. And most of them don't stay. They just return back to Mexico. In the process, they keep wages low in our country because they will work for dirt cheap and they make no effort to become tax paying citizens.

It will be interesting to see how Arizona enforces the law. In essence, its more meant to send a message than actually be enforced. Only people who are already under suspicion of committing a crime can be questioned. As such, its not like the cops can stop every Hispanic on the street and ask them for their papers.
Yes, but how long could it be until being Hispanic in appearance is suspicion enough for committing a crime; the crime of illegal immigration? As a kid I was stopped numerous times by police out of "suspicion" and I doubt it was any more than being a punky looking kid.

I just don't like the idea of requesting "papers" without actually being detained for a crime. If the people are being detained, then I'm all for required identification. I think this law is pushing the boundary of what "suspicious activity" will be, and there will be little people can do to counter it.

Thus why I now refuse any and all vehicle searches by police when stopped. If they treat me like shit then they better go get a warrant.

Do you HONESTLY think the police department will simply respect the rights of citizens, just because the amendment tells them to?

Like I said, it is Arizona's problem. The state is bound to lose a lot of money if it handles the law poorly.

Like I said, it is Arizona's problem. The state is bound to lose a lot of money if it handles the law poorly.
But how many people will be harassed before someone who can actually afford to challenge the state comes along?

Illegal Immigrants arn't U.S. Citizens

There are plenty of people who are considered ""Hispanic-looking"" who are citizens and will be terribly harassed. People argue that only those committing the crimes will be questioned, leave it to the high amount of discriminatory people there can be in the area. Sure it is unconstitutional to do so, but since when has the constitution been followed 100%? There are plenty of cases throughout history were plenty of amendments have been violated.

Last edited:
But how many people will be harassed before someone who can actually afford to challenge the state comes along?

Judging by how controversial this law is, not many at all. Honesty, I will tend to disbelieve many reports given initally. There are people who use the race card as an excuse, and there are so many people against this law to begin with they will try to do that with no cause or hesistation.